Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

Anyone ever make the drive down the 60 mile stretch of beach to Port Mansfield Jetty? Looking to spear the Jetty In late June or July. We have a 4wd truck but standard all weather tred...wanting to know the conditions of the path... good, bad, ugly..There enoughf hard pack to not get stuck? Anyone who has done this, perspective appreciated. thanks
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
geofri
Ectothermic member

Re: Port Mansfield Jetty_60 mile beach drive

That sounds like fun!

I see tracks and a truck or two on satellite images, so I assume it's doable. Probably best to roll in a convoy though. If I had 4x4 right now I'd consider a road trip down there!
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

I have, there’s good snapper “other” and loads of unspooked fish! It’s not an easy run! Bring extra food, water, gas! Lots of shark fisherman it a long drive of vis sucks so you have that to also deal with. Bring rods Incase that happens you can atleast fish.

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDFAST View Post
I have, there’s good snapper “other” and loads of unspooked fish! It’s not an easy run! Bring extra food, water, gas! Lots of shark fisherman it a long drive of vis sucks so you have that to also deal with. Bring rods Incase that happens you can atleast fish.
Thanks alot...ya got that right on all of the above. Hopefully we time it with the weather and wind tools. Using magic seaweed.com and windy.com to look for windows. Last resort is I pay a captain who has agreed to take us for a small fee. If its bad, mabye spi jetty is better.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
That sounds like fun!

I see tracks and a truck or two on satellite images, so I assume it's doable. Probably best to roll in a convoy though. If I had 4x4 right now I'd consider a road trip down there!
Yea, it's a trek. Youtube videos with others who have done it. If timed right, it could be worth it.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Noeafpj9

You are correct on the “if timed right thinking”. If you can head out on a low tide and run the hard sand most of the way, you will be good. If you go during a high tide, you will be running the soft sand the whole way and kill your fuel mileage. We ruined 3 vehicles last time having to run on the hard sand while the waves were slightly rolling in front of us. All the water getting into the engine compartments ruined 2 brand new vehicles and my lifted ram 1500. We wanted to run the soft sand but never would have made it back due to fuel mileage. So lesson learned. Always take plenty of fuel. I would have paid $10 a gallon at that point.
Noeafpj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeafpj9 View Post
You are correct on the “if timed right thinking”. If you can head out on a low tide and run the hard sand most of the way, you will be good. If you go during a high tide, you will be running the soft sand the whole way and kill your fuel mileage. We ruined 3 vehicles last time having to run on the hard sand while the waves were slightly rolling in front of us. All the water getting into the engine compartments ruined 2 brand new vehicles and my lifted ram 1500. We wanted to run the soft sand but never would have made it back due to fuel mileage. So lesson learned. Always take plenty of fuel. I would have paid $10 a gallon at that point.
yikes!! Really apprecieate that insight. was extremely helpful.