Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

Tailgunner Report 6/30

Went out around 50 miles yesterday. Seas were our friend and the skies stayed overcast all day. 2nd trip in the past couple of weeks that we've had the Big E pull up and fish close so I guess we're doing something right. I can say that I didn't spear squat all day except for a small Rock Hind Grouper but it wasn't from lack of trying. Had a few first experiences though. After I shot my little strawberry, ole' grandpa Warsaw came out. Probably about 40 or 50 lbs very aggressive, and hungry. He and I met at about 80'. I had just strung up my fish and hadn't taken him off my spear yet and ole' Willie was trying to eat him. If I had a Ray Odor kill spike, a knife, or a loaded gun this dude would have been mine but I was screwed. I kicked at him, hit him with my stringer, and played Lion tamer with the tip of my gun then finally around 41' he left me alone. I quickly reloaded my gun, quick glance, 743lbs of air left, $#^$#! Beginning of the summer, I'd a chanced going back down after him, but with a newborn baby at the house, and my heart rate still up from all the adrenaline and excitement, his arse would be mine next tank. I could still see him slowly swimming away. I signaled my dive buddy to go feed him some cold steel, but he waved me off as he was also low on air and had already begun his ascent. Oh yeah, and everybody saying WTF?, you didn't even have a knife? Yeah I did. A brand new Omer Daga, for about 5 minutes. Bad *** knife, POS sheath. The knife fell out on my first dive as soon as I splashed.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

Continued.....

During our surface interval, we proceed to catch a 4 man limit of snapper on hook and line. No sows but good eatin size. We saw how many of those were down there, so we knew we weren't scratching the surface as far as the population was concerned. Also caught a 27# Ling on H&L.
Awwite, back to the story, So we go down again with 1 particular fish being the target. He kind of owned me right now so I needed redemption. I'm hunting, we're looking, there's one, nope too small, is that him, no, wait a minute, hey Mike your in my kill zone, Mike move outta the way, hey Arsewhole I'm hunting right there!!!! No way, good ole dive buddy swims over after he produced a Warsaw from the other side of the rig. He pulls it out from behind his back and is wearing a you know what kind of grin. About half the size of mine, and boat posession limit is one. Yep, I'm pissed.
And fer my second first experience, on our ascent we were greeted to about a 7'~8' Hammerhead lurking in the distance. That's right Hammerhead. Seems our snapper slam caught some attention. He disappeared, I sharted, everyone went home safe and sound.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Old 07-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

And finally....

During our surface interval, we proceed to catch a 4 man limit of snapper on hook and line. No sows but good eatin size. We saw how many of those were down there, so we knew we weren't scratching the surface as far as the population was concerned. Also caught a 27# Ling on H&L.
Awwite, back to the story, So we go down again with 1 particular fish being the target. He kind of owned me right now so I needed redemption. I'm hunting, we're looking, there's one, nope too small, is that him, no, wait a minute, hey Mike your in my kill zone, Mike move outta the way, hey Arsewhole I'm hunting right there!!!! No way, good ole dive buddy swims over after he produced a Warsaw from the other side of the rig. He pulls it out from behind his back and is wearing a you know what kind of grin. About half the size of mine, and boat posession limit is one. Yep, I'm ******.
And fer my second first experience, on our ascent we were greeted to about a 7'~8' Hammerhead lurking in the distance. That's right Hammerhead. Seems our snapper slam caught some attention. He disappeared, I sharted, everyone went home safe and sound.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Old 07-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
JLittle44
John Little

Re: Tailgunner Report 6/30

Good report man. I enjoyed the story.

Did you end up eating that Hind? I've been told they're not bad.
Call me Mister Lucky.
JLittle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

I scaled it, headed it and gutted it to bake it whole, not bad at all.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

Found the owner of the gun, gonna give it back to him. He nailed it no doubt, he knew the rig, depth, everything where he lost it freediving. It was a 54" Sea Hornet Rhino Classic.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member