Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Smesh

Carter Lift Bag Review

Just wanted to give a shout out for Carter Lift Bag.

I bought one of their floats and used it on a few dives in the first week. It was bungied to my weight belt. I got caught in a surge and slammed into the rocks in PV and put a hole in the bag.

I called up Carter and told them what happened and asked for advice on repairing it. They told me to just send it back and they would repair it for me. I shipped it off and after a week, they called to tell me they couldn't repair it, and were just going to send me a new bag. I was shocked, since it was totally my fault and the bag could never be expected to take that kind of abuse.

So my new bag is on its way back, and I just can't thank them enough for helping me out. I won't forget it.

If you don't have one, they are a great piece of kit to keep on you. They can be inflated by mouth and used as a float with a line, with a kelp clip to hold another gun, stringer or flashers, or as a lift bag to pull fish up to the surface. They can also be used as a safety float if you get into trouble. I bought mine from Mako or you can get them direct from Carter.

http://www.carterbag.com/spearfish.html

Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
riff
><>

Re: Carter Lift Bag Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
It was bungied to my weight belt.
That doesnt seem too safe. but great Customer Service.. just like when Sporasub™ replaced a damaged wetsuit for me.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
That doesn't seem too safe.
You mean getting caught in the surge? It wasn't. I got pounded pretty hard. Tried to exit in a channel between two rock formations, and the surge grabbed me and sucked me into the channel, and then out to the side and slammed me into the jagged rocks. It happened very fast. I ended up getting swept back to the entrance and one legged it like a MF back out to sea to get out of the channel. I ended up exiting the outside of the channel, then having to climb over the rocks mid channel, and then popping back into the water between waves and making a mad dash for a sandy patch. High tide with big rollers there was not fun. I was actually really lucky I got away with some cuts and bruises, and my suit, weights and float took the brunt out of it. Glad I had a 7mm on. I most definitely prefer boat diving.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Alec

good to hear they back their product, too bad my old one started leaking..
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Smesh

Well they certainly didn't have to back mine. It had a pea-sized hole and was full of water inside. I told them flat out I didn't think they should be giving me a free replacement, but they insisted. That hole would have been in my hip. Not what it was designed for but I'm glad it was there. My knee was cut deep and is still healing weeks later.

Sucks yours started leaking. Where is it leaking from, the seams or the valve/inflation assemblies?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
AJP
Reluctant User

Good deal. I hope to buy one soon.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I was actually considering picking up one of these to attach one of these to my koah. I sort of want that last ditch effort in case i get a tangle or something else at depth. I would switch this out with whatever gun im using at the time. My only concern was the quality, and wondered how it faired. We aren't banging off the rocks in surge down here, but we do have our rough terrain.

Is this a standard noodle size? Could you perhaps take a photo of it in your hand or laying on the floor next to a dollar bill so i can get a idea of its size.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I was actually considering picking up one of these to attach one of these to my koah. I sort of want that last ditch effort in case i get a tangle or something else at depth. I would switch this out with whatever gun im using at the time. My only concern was the quality, and wondered how it faired. We aren't banging off the rocks in surge down here, but we do have our rough terrain.

Is this a standard noodle size? Could you perhaps take a photo of it in your hand or laying on the floor next to a dollar bill so i can get a idea of its size.
It hasn't arrived back yet. I orally inflated it for the first time to find the leak after noticing water in the bag after getting slammed, and it was surprisingly large - way longer and larger than I thought based on the 4' x 40" dimensions listed on the site. Rolled up with a cartridge installed it was about the size of a long neck beer bottle without the neck. I use two heavy bungies on my belt and a carabiner on one end to clip the loop to one of the bungies in case it were to fall out.

The rocks I slammed into were like lava rock - edges like glass and full of mussels and urchins. When I hit the rocks the float took most of it. The plastic cap to release the air was cut up bad but not functionally damaged and there was a good size puncture on the outermost wrap. It unraveled but the carabiner kept it on my belt.

I might look for a cheap ebay neoprene lens case or water bottle holder to put it in, although the way I rigged it, one side with bungie over the cap and one side with bungie over the oral inflator. The impact like I had would be a factor, but that would be rare. I got rolled on the beach once too and the bungies held fine with no damage to the bag. When I order my new wetsuit, I'm getting a cargo pocket on the left thigh, and plan to put it in there with a storm whistle and a safety mirror.

I found the big 38 gram CO2 cartridges for $7 each at Florida Freedivers. The bag with the 38 gram actually provides quite a bit more lift than the riffe with two 16gram ones at depth. If you weight it, it will also stick high up into the air out of the water.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
I might look for a cheap ebay neoprene lens case or water bottle holder to put it in, although the way I rigged it, one side with bungie over the cap and one side with bungie over the oral inflator. The impact like I had would be a factor, but that would be rare. I got rolled on the beach once too and the bungies held fine with no damage to the bag.
Riffe mamkes a pouch thing for their product to attach to a weightbelt. It can be purchased separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riffe Float Belt Accessory.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	206649  
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
Smesh

Yeah I know but I don't want to spend $20 on a case for a $70 float when an ebay neoprene one is like $3. And a carabiner is free on a lot of cold drinks. It's not holding a lot of weight so any small one will work. I have a long line clip but I find carabiners faster and easier to use. When I'm winded and my hands are cold from being in the water a long time, long line clips can be a challenge.

Last edited by Smesh; 06-10-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
kehloken

They're great people, the sons name is Paul, he really doesn't do much with the business, he was a project manager for a construction company, and I believe that he is actually one of the owners of the company now. was about 12 13 years ago I taught him how to dive, and he told me of the beginning and worked in the shop making the lift bags.

So as the person that I knew I'm glad to hear that the old man is taken care of his business like I'm sure Paul takes care his business and runs.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

Quote:
It hasn't arrived back yet. I orally inflated it for the first time to find the leak after noticing water in the bag after getting slammed, and it was surprisingly large - way longer and larger than I thought based on the 4' x 40" dimensions listed on the site. Rolled up with a cartridge installed it was about the size of a long neck beer bottle without the neck. I use two heavy bungies on my belt and a carabiner on one end to clip the loop to one of the bungies in case it were to fall out.

The rocks I slammed into were like lava rock - edges like glass and full of mussels and urchins. When I hit the rocks the float took most of it. The plastic cap to release the air was cut up bad but not functionally damaged and there was a good size puncture on the outermost wrap. It unraveled but the carabiner kept it on my belt.

I might look for a cheap ebay neoprene lens case or water bottle holder to put it in, although the way I rigged it, one side with bungie over the cap and one side with bungie over the oral inflator. The impact like I had would be a factor, but that would be rare. I got rolled on the beach once too and the bungies held fine with no damage to the bag. When I order my new wetsuit, I'm getting a cargo pocket on the left thigh, and plan to put it in there with a storm whistle and a safety mirror.

I found the big 38 gram CO2 cartridges for $7 each at Florida Freedivers. The bag with the 38 gram actually provides quite a bit more lift than the riffe with two 16gram ones at depth. If you weight it, it will also stick high up into the air out of the water.
Smesh, get a rob allen crawfish bag and place it in there. The bag has many uses when diving kelp or structure, it will never open up unless you unclip it. I usually place gauges, flashlights, reef fish like calicos in my bag and it makes for a bitchen lob bag during the season.

When i used to shore dive, i used to place a frozen gatorade bottle in the pouch for convinience
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
Pfish

I don't like having them dangle. I dive with a lot of divers who do let them dangle. Go out and buy a cheap fanny pack. Put the Carter bag in there and put it on after your weight belt--it will not get in the way if you have to ditch your WB.

http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/c...FQGTfgod8CwA2A
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
kwtony
Snorkel Master

AHHHHHHHHHHH FIRST FANNY PACK RECOMMENDATION ON SPEARBOARD!!!

Were all gunna turn into over-weight middle aged white women !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Dude, they even make LEATHER fanny packs, for the discerning tastes!!!!

I bed you could put the Carter Lift Bag in that convenient cellular communication storage pouch on the side!!