Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
heynorton

Help Kelp Please: I need some education

Where I dive in Malibu, the kelp has gone totally to hell. County Line has NO kelp. At PT. Dume, the giant kelp forest has been reduced to a small patch in the MLPA area. I have heard a number of theories as to why this is happening.
Theory#1. Warm water kills kelp but it will come back. (Yeah. Iím not seeing it)
Theory#2. Commercial kelp harvesters have mowed it all away. (Is that why the Dume mlpa area is healthy?)
Theory#3. A mysterious plant disease that is wiping the kelp out.
Is there some scientifically minded person out there who can tell me why this disaster which is also hitting San Diego and NorCal is happening? why? Why? Kelp Help Please!
heynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Narced_up

Re: Help Kelp Please: I need some education

Palos verdes has plenty of kelp.

Maybe too many urchins eating up the kelp?
Narced_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
ebar

I was surprised last year to see the Harrison's Reef (in front of Neptune's Net) completely bare of kelp in a matter of 2 months span. Since then, I been going just a little east of there in front of the apartments (at the actual county line). One thing I can tell you is that when I dive at the reef where the kelp used to be, all I see are tons of sea urchins.
ebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebar View Post
I was surprised last year to see the Harrison's Reef (in front of Neptune's Net) completely bare of kelp in a matter of 2 months span. Since then, I been going just a little east of there in front of the apartments (at the actual county line). One thing I can tell you is that when I dive at the reef where the kelp used to be, all I see are tons of sea urchins.
If you crack open an urchin, all kinds of fish congregate
Another factor might be water clarity. Kelp needs sunlight to survive. Red tide anyone?
The NPS is blaming sea level rise, was there a high tide yesterday? They also blame the sea urchins because there are no otters. That's what we need, molre otters to decimate the shellfish pops. Selling more commercial urchin licenses would make too much sense in gov. nuisance land.
BTW, there is a nice surf spot in the central coast that is only surfable after the first big winter storm clears out most of the kelp.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #5
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
If you crack open an urchin, all kinds of fish congregate
Another factor might be water clarity. Kelp needs sunlight to survive. Red tide anyone?
The NPS is blaming sea level rise, was there a high tide yesterday? They also blame the sea urchins because there are no otters. That's what we need, molre otters to decimate the shellfish pops. Selling more commercial urchin licenses would make too much sense in gov. nuisance land.
BTW, there is a nice surf spot in the central coast that is only surfable after the first big winter storm clears out most of the kelp.
The smaller purple urchin are partly to blame and they have no marketable value. I doubt that more urchin licenses would help at all.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote