Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Fej

Spear pole head repair

I've got an older tapered fiberglass spear pole made by Scubapro that used to be my fathers. It has a had a trident tip on it since I got it from him, I used it for awhile when I first started spearing and it worked well enough. I've since moved on to a custom speargun and haven't used the pole in ages. I need to send my gun in to get refinished and while it is gone I want to use the spear pole.

I found linghunts flopper shaft tips on ebay and was planning on getting one (and an adapter if needed) to make the pole a bit more effective. I tried to unthread the tip tonight and even after multiple soakings with PB Blaster when I put it in a vise and started unscrewing the threaded shaft broke off in the tip.

Now, I recognize that this pole isn't a super nice Gatku or Crist but it is much nicer than most fiberglass poles and it has a tremendous amount of sentimental value so I have a very strong desire to repair it.

I was hoping some other spearos might have some insight into how I could go about replacing the head to this pole. Any help would be appreciated.

Disclaimer: Even if it is the most logical route I am not going to shell out for a Gatku/Crist/etc. As much as I wouldn't mind having one I already have a very nice speargun and it wouldn't make sense to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a pole I won't use very much. This decades old fiberglass pole means enough to me that I am set on repairing it even if it seems like a fools errand.

Last edited by Fej; 11-19-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
FredT

Re: Spear pole head repair

Grind off the entire ferrule by thinning the ferrule on two sides until it can be split and removed.
Try to get a 6mm male thread to 14mm female thread adapter.
Drill out the inside of the 14mm side to fit snugly on the fiberglass pole. ( A lathe is a a good idea here to keep things straight.) OR thread the bare fiberglass to 14 mm by running a die nut up on it.

Next bore a very small hole at the bottom of the 14mm @ 90° tothe shaft axis to let the air out.

Fill the 14mm side and lightly coat the shaft with a 5 to 20 minute cure epoxy compound and screw the adapter onto the shaft until it bottoms. Remove excess epoxy and let it cure overnight with the shaft vertical to keep things straight.

Buy a 6mm tip and go for fish!
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Fej

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Grind off the entire ferrule by thinning the ferrule on two sides until it can be split and removed.
Try to get a 6mm male thread to 14mm female thread adapter.
Drill out the inside of the 14mm side to fit snugly on the fiberglass pole. ( A lathe is a a good idea here to keep things straight.) OR thread the bare fiberglass to 14 mm by running a die nut up on it.

Next bore a very small hole at the bottom of the 14mm @ 90° tothe shaft axis to let the air out.

Fill the 14mm side and lightly coat the shaft with a 5 to 20 minute cure epoxy compound and screw the adapter onto the shaft until it bottoms. Remove excess epoxy and let it cure overnight with the shaft vertical to keep things straight.

Buy a 6mm tip and go for fish!
Any suggestions about where to look for such an adapter? I did some googling but didn't find anything that looked like it would work.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
FredT

Where are you located?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Fej

Quote:
Where are you located?
Northern California
Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
FredT

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91115a769/=pg90ss
http://www.mcmaster.com/#95316a740/=pg92o5

It took two steps at McMaster-Carr. You'll need to re-drill the through hole part way through to meet pole shaft size.

The 6mm to 14mm is a euro large thread standard to a US (JBL and others) standard 6mm tip. Check several spearfishing specialty shops. I know several places that can make one up as a single piece, but you'd need to get to 100 or more pieces per order to get the $s down at a screw machine shop.

Tin Man, or other local good machine shop, should be able to turn something out that works if he has the time and tooling available.

Last edited by FredT; 11-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Fej,

I replied to your email. If you can get it down to Santa Rosa, I can fix it for you. Having a lathe can be handy, that's why I have 3 of them.

If you can get the pole to Garberville, my Buddy can get it to me. He travels to SFO often and I know he travels up your way at times for his wireless business.

101netlinks.

There probably isn't enough material to do what I suggested in Email, removing the whole end and replacing would be better option. I think I have the same Scupapro pole here. The crimp looks a little different. Don't recall where I got it from. Garage sale probably.

Fred, you should have a lathe or two I would think?

-John
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
FredT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Fej,

-John
Nope. I have one with a marginal spindle available for use at the office, and a dozen or so full service production and job machine shops I can call on for one of a kind jobs. These are equipped with various lathes from 6" bench top lathes to 30ft swing vertical lathes where the operator rides the tool post. There is a similar size capability in welding, casting and mill work available.

A lathe and vertical mill are on my "before I retire" wish list though, the shed erected after Katrina already has enough power available.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Fej

Quote:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91115a769/=pg90ss
http://www.mcmaster.com/#95316a740/=pg92o5

It took two steps at McMaster-Carr. You'll need to re-drill the through hole part way through to meet pole shaft size.
GAH! I forgot about McMaster... Thanks for the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Fej,

I replied to your email. If you can get it down to Santa Rosa, I can fix it for you. Having a lathe can be handy, that's why I have 3 of them.

If you can get the pole to Garberville, my Buddy can get it to me. He travels to SFO often and I know he travels up your way at times for his wireless business.

101netlinks.

There probably isn't enough material to do what I suggested in Email, removing the whole end and replacing would be better option. I think I have the same Scupapro pole here. The crimp looks a little different. Don't recall where I got it from. Garage sale probably.

-John
I just saw your email, I didn't realize you were on spearboard until after I sent it. I wish I had access to a machine shop, life would be so much easier/simpler...

I very much want to buy one of your shafts. Not certain what length yet. The pole is ~5ft and I do 90% my diving in Humboldt and Mendocino so I don't think the pole needs to much longer than six-ish feet.

As luck would have it I am driving down to SoCal friday morning and then coming back up the saturday or sunday after thanksgiving so it would be easy for me to drop the pole off in Santa Rosa.

Last edited by Fej; 11-20-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

My dad has an AMF and these and Scubapro fiberglass spears where really a great spear. They used tapered solid fishing rod blanks. A lot stouter and stiffer then the protruded fiberglass spears that have been the norm for 30yrs.

I've rebuilt both spears and the AMF has a heavier duty adapter. The AMF is pinned instead of being staked like the scubapro. The scubapro had a tendency of the adapter pulling off.

I would drill it and pin it, plus use an epoxy on the new adapter.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fej View Post
GAH! I forgot about McMaster... Thanks for the links

I just saw your email, I didn't realize you were on spearboard until after I sent it. I wish I had access to a machine shop, life would be so much easier/simpler...

I very much want to buy one of your shafts. Not certain what length yet. The pole is ~5ft and I do 90% my diving in Humboldt and Mendocino so I don't think the pole needs to much longer than six-ish feet.

As luck would have it I am driving down to SoCal friday morning and then coming back up the saturday or sunday after thanksgiving so it would be easy for me to drop the pole off in Santa Rosa.
That will work out, I'm just off the Freeway on NW side by a click or two. I got two old poles here they are like 6 - 7 foot. One is a Scubapro and the other is a ??? it has half of a label hanging on it. I take a pic and Post they are 2 piece and the connection is like not moving. Must be the dust on them.

I'll PM you with contact info. My boat is up at Shelter Cove, Close to where you are, you got some launch sites up there besides Humboldt Bay. It's just a 14 foot Achilles inflatable 25HP Merc with GPS/fish finder/radio and Gun racks. We can bounce off the rocks getting in where we want to be.

FRED, I had all of that capability at my finger tips for 20 years. I went ahead and bit the bullet back in the early 90's and got some Equipment and had them train me. They loved to see what I was making and just pick it apart. I would REDO and try again. when they were happy, I figured I did ok. lol.

I bought a new chuck of lathe (this story is from like 1994 or so) and I got it dialed in to just under a .001" . {yes that sucked , but I thought it was pretty good} Ohh boy I Got Hammered at work next day. Got handed a more accurate dial indicator/Stand, and told to get ZERO run out. Anyway I got down to like .0003" or so, one of them came over and got it to zero. I had to buy the beer, I was a tough crowd. I sure had a great group of guys helping me, One of them is on SB.

Last edited by Linghunt; 11-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Linghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #12
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
My dad has an AMF and these and Scubapro fiberglass spears where really a great spear. They used tapered solid fishing rod blanks. A lot stouter and stiffer then the protruded fiberglass spears that have been the norm for 30yrs.

I've rebuilt both spears and the AMF has a heavier duty adapter. The AMF is pinned instead of being staked like the scubapro. The scubapro had a tendency of the adapter pulling off.

I would drill it and pin it, plus use an epoxy on the new adapter.
Aaron, I was going to call you,.... I recalled you modified these poles, vs what I did in making Dust collectors out of them. Do you know how much material is behind the broken Stud. 4-5 mm would be enough to drill and form tap, That is assuming the fitting is bonded to the fiberglass, the ones I have seem ok, but not loaded them.

You know Aaron, sometimes guys like you and me over think this stuff, but what the hell, it might mean someone gets a great fish without his stuff breaking.

I know we both have same goal, land the fish, prepare it, bless it, and enjoy it with our families.

The end is always best part of it all, even if Aaron or I are not at the table.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

On the AMF, I believe it’s around 1/8" and the Scubapro is close to the same, maybe a little less.
The AMF came with epoxy and a roll pin. I’ve replaced a couple and if they are used a lot, the epoxy gives up and the fiberglass starts to sugar. I usually cut the end off right at the adaptor then epoxy and peen over a solid pin.

It’s easier for me to cut off the adaptor and put a fresh machined one on the scubapro and others with this staked design . When they get pulled/ripped off, the staked area takes some of the fiberglass and leaves grooves. Its best to either drill out all the staked areas then use one of the holes for a snug fitting pin(I use 1/8”.)
Make sure the buggered up fiberglass is either epoxied well, or cut it back to a fresh area.
I did make one out of hex bar once; so the user could take his tips off easier.
Looking around my lil black book, I found an old spec for a 5.5' AMF, big end (rear) 0.585" small end (front) 0.406".
I’ve also worked on some other no name brands and a Healthways the number one issue with the rod blank spears is they are too heavy powerful for the 6mm thread that they all had.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Linghunt

Done. It was a 5 min fix.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Fej

Figured this thread could use some closure. I picked up my pole from Linghunt on sunday, super stoked with how the repair turned out.

The slip-tip is frigging awesome.

I was able to take the pole out yesterday in Trinidad Bay, got some decent Blacks. The air temp yesterday was 38 degrees on the beach not counting the wind chill and the water was just over 50. I was pretty stoked to dive in water warmer than the air!

I hadn't used a spearpole in over a year so I was pretty pumped when all of my shots struck home. The tip performed flawlessy.

Thanks everybody who gave input on repairing my pole!

Last edited by Fej; 12-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.