Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #46
matt888
Matt Rey

Re: First Speargun Build

Nice work. I want tools like that in my shop! Have you installed the line release yet? Please post pics of that as I'm sure there's alot of builders curious. I've got a couple of those mechs in my garage that I've yet to install. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a voodoo stick, I'd still be scratching my head over the line release and the small alan head bolt it comes with. They're nice triggers though! Your gun is looking good.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #47
Prater

I will try to get back on the gun tonight. I have not added the line release yet. I have to get the gun to its final shape around the trigger mechanism before I install it. I had to go out of town this weekend and its snowing now, so if the power grid holds I hope to get a bit done later...
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #48
Prater

On the pins, I have a chopsaw that I will use when I get the final dimensions of the gun.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #49
Prater

I was able to get some more work done last night and tonight...

I skipped around on a few items as I figured out what to do.

I first routed a track for the pushrod, I ended up using a 1/4 inch bit for a 3/16 pushrod.

I also used the jig to drill the pilot holes for the line release and marked the line for the threaded pin. I waited to drill that hole since I was going to finish plane the gun to a thinner dimension

I then waited for a few emails to help with setting the trigger. I did not get anymore work done yesterday...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #50
Prater

Today I started the trigger.

I first marked where I wanted the trigger in relation to the handle

I then set a 3/16 drill bit to stop just before hitting my track. I drilled tree holes side by side and then cleaned them with a file to make the pocket

I then measured where I needed to drill the pin for the trigger

Then a test fit

Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #51
Prater

I then was able to set the release pushrod buy assembling everything and measuring the length needed to keep everything together, then cut the trigger pushrod and cut the trigger off the remote mechanism

I then clamped some blocks in place and loaded a shaft. The test released the shaft with no problems.

I then dissasembled everything and drilled a 1/2" by 1 1/2" band slot.

I used the drill press with a 1/2" bit and spaced them out to get the length of the slot, I then used a chisel to make the slot and used some sandpaper to smoth it out. I will use a 1/4" roundover router bit later on the slot

I then finish planed the gun to the thickness I wanted

I wanted the top of the gun to be rounded so I put a 1/2 roundover bit in the router table and tested it on a scrap piece

I liked the shape so I ran it on the top two edges of the gun

Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #52
Prater

Now it was time to get back to work on the line release.

I decided to drill the hole for the pivot point first. I took a measurement on the new thickness of the wood and halfed it. I then drilled the 1/8" hole for the threaded pivot pin, stopping the bit just before it hit the mechanism pin hole.

I then set my router table up with a 1/8" router bit that I have for cutting acrylic. It is a single flute design with an upcut spiral. It fits in the 1/8" pilot holes perfectly. I also took the bottom plate off my router table so I could watch the bit from underneath and use my featherboards to hold the gun down and against the fence. I then ran the bit from one hole to the other to get my finished slot cut.

I then assembled the trigger mechanism and the line release and test fired. I had to remove about 1/8" off the inside of the line release with the grinder so it would pivot freely in the gun

If the storm tomorrow is not too bad i should get the handle recesed and in place and finish the shape of the gun.

Last edited by Prater; 03-06-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #53
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

You must keep saltwater aquariums also. I see buckets of Instant Ocean and bins full of PVC pipe! Reef tanks is how I ended up with my screen name years ago.

The gun is looking great Steven, and I can't wait to post about my new 60" mid handle that's in the works
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #54
Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
You must keep saltwater aquariums also. I see buckets of Instant Ocean and bins full of PVC pipe! Reef tanks is how I ended up with my screen name years ago.

The gun is looking great Steven, and I can't wait to post about my new 60" mid handle that's in the works
I dont have any up at the moment. I will be making a custom acrylic reef wall for my entryway to the new house this summer though...I have been in the local saltwater club since it was started about 5-6 years ago. I have been into saltwater aquariums since my first ocean dive back in 2000.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #55
xrispearo
you cant see mee

awsome job so far. You make it look too easy! Me, well im more of a risk taker. no jig, no fancy tools or steps

your band slot is crooked! Take that!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #56
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Looks awesome so far!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #57
kjflyfish
snorklin'

Why didn't you put the 1/2" roundover on the bottom? Gotta get away from a Biller state of mind!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #58
Man-O-War
Lothario

Wow great job man
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #59
Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
awsome job so far. You make it look too easy! Me, well im more of a risk taker. no jig, no fancy tools or steps

your band slot is crooked! Take that!

My slot is crooked, it slants upwards at the rear. It was not designed that way, just the second cut with a 1/2 inch bit caused it and I just compensated. It really looks good that way. I also had a fupar when my 1/2" router bit went into the band slot while I was cutting the top. I decided to match the top of the slot on both sides that made a small pocket for the bands to stretch from.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #60
Wahooooo!

Cant believe this is your first gun. You seem like a pro. One very small piece of advice. Take drill bit 1/32 larger than the pins for your trigger mech and trigger, and drill out the first 1/8 of the holes for the pins. This keeps the pin from blowing out the wood when you take then pins in and out repeatedly as you do during the build.

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote