Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Beandip613

Headache after freediving?

Does anyone else get these? I don't get headaches often and I would call these moderate on the pain scale. Usually happens to me when I go past 30 feet and dive for a few hours. I drink water like it's my job so I know i'm not dehydrated.
thanks guys for any info.
Beandip613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Re: Headache after freediving?

Could be sinuses or ears. Any particular place it hurts or just a general throb? It could also be a giant tumor just behind your left eye--geez I have a warped & sick sense of humor and should probably censor myself but I can't help it and I am sitting here laughing at myself like an idiot.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Disco

I actually get migraine level head aches after participating in my two of my favorite pass times freediving and drag racing. The head aches are exactly the same throbbing pain that nothing but sleep in a dark quiet place can help. I also try to hydrate as much as I can to the point of feeling ill from so much water intake. I dont know what causes mine but the last trip out I got back from I drank s big glass of caffenated sweet tea, btw I dont usually drink anything caffeinated, and I had no more head ache!!! It was a really big deal because usually after either of those activities im done for the rest of the day.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Beandip613

no hahaha that was funny. it's just a pain in the back of my head. a straight pain with no ups or downs (tehehe..diving..up down...ha...uh..ah...i need a beer) .

Maybe i'll give that tea a shot, I am damn tired when I get done diving anyway =P
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

are you straining your neck when you dive? Meaning, are you looking at the bottom as opposed to having your neck in a neutral position? That could be tensing up the muscles.

Is it a "true" headache like in your brain?

Just trying to rule things out.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Disco

I think that mine is behind the eyes.

Just another weird note about the sweet tea (caffeine) day. I spent more time in the water than I usually do that day. I shot a total of thirty fish spending around two and a half hours maybe three in the water steadily swimming from spot to spot following the schools. I never spend that much time in the water or hunt that hard so I expected to be in tons of head pain that afternoon and evening. But like I stated I had the huge cup of tea and stood for maybe an hour and a half filleting all the fish for our fish fry that night. I dont know what helped me if it was the slowly coming down instead of going from in the water to in the bed thirty minuets later or if it was the huge amount of caffeine. Im going to try the same thing next time I dive and see how it goes.

Just to answer the first question im sure im straining my neck the whole time im shooting fish. I tend to be in a bunch of weird positions under water and looking in every direction most of the time im craning my neck up.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

I get them too especially if on scuba mine are from laying on the bottom and looking forward compiled with sinus issues I can give me a migraine head ache the best thing for me is right before I get in I pop a 800 mg motrin then no head aches
Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I think that mine is behind the eyes.

Just another weird note about the sweet tea (caffeine) day. I spent more time in the water than I usually do that day. I shot a total of thirty fish spending around two and a half hours maybe three in the water steadily swimming from spot to spot following the schools. I never spend that much time in the water or hunt that hard so I expected to be in tons of head pain that afternoon and evening. But like I stated I had the huge cup of tea and stood for maybe an hour and a half filleting all the fish for our fish fry that night. I dont know what helped me if it was the slowly coming down instead of going from in the water to in the bed thirty minuets later or if it was the huge amount of caffeine. Im going to try the same thing next time I dive and see how it goes.

Just to answer the first question im sure im straining my neck the whole time im shooting fish. I tend to be in a bunch of weird positions under water and looking in every direction most of the time im craning my neck up.
You do know that they add caffeine to aspirin to make it work on headaches, yes?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
You do know that they add caffeine to aspirin to make it work on headaches, yes?
Yes I do but we have no aspirin lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
StriperRider

I had some recent issues with frontal sinuses (since resolved). Before I go an obvious squeeze I was having headaches from moderate depth dives though no noticeable pain during. Next time you go out take one dive and instead of focusing on looking for fish see if everything feels 'normal'. I agree with guru that a culprit could be strain from your neck or something similar. I think Ive heard of people getting headaches also from cold water, particularly with it always in their ear canals. Hope you feel better.
StriperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
LoGiiCz

Maybe you are not spending enough time at the surface recovering after each dive.. I used to get head aches due to oxygen deprivation. In the fii class I learned that I should be spending aprox 2 1/2 min on he surface before each dive rather than 30 or 40 seconds. I haven't had problems since I corrected that.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Disco

I am sure I dont spend enough time resting especially if im spearing structure in shallow water like 40 ft or less.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Beandip613

I'm definitely spending enough time in-between dives, Robert Little made it clear in my class how important that was.

Errol-I don't constantly look down at the bottom when I dive, I do check however for a second or two to make sure i'm going in the right direction and not about to swim into something I don't want to, but then after that I put my head straight until I'm about 10ft off the reef, then I level out. Yeah the pain is in my "brain" if I were to describe it like that. I'm in 55ft give or take

Striper- you know maybe that cold water thing could be it, there have been some serious thermoclines lately around here. I'm happy your problem has been resolved.

I'm also opposed to taking any pills or anything of that nature, it freaks me out to put something like that in my body while I'm under almost two atm of pressure. I can't hear that great at the end of the day but I don't think that has anything to do with it, no pain in the ears however.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
North Star
Max

After you are done diving, try Excedrin. It has caffeine in it along with aspirin and acetaminophen. If caffeine solves your headaches, it is because caffeine is vasoconstrictor that will relieve pressure on the brain due to dilated blood vessels in the brain.

My diving headaches originate in the neck due to neck strain. Ibuprofen (Advil) usually takes care of them.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
AnaerobicAsasin
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I actually get migraine level head aches after participating in my two of my favorite pass times freediving and drag racing. The head aches are exactly the same throbbing pain that nothing but sleep in a dark quiet place can help. I also try to hydrate as much as I can to the point of feeling ill from so much water intake. I dont know what causes mine but the last trip out I got back from I drank s big glass of caffenated sweet tea, btw I dont usually drink anything caffeinated, and I had no more head ache!!! It was a really big deal because usually after either of those activities im done for the rest of the day.
I also get migraines on occasion, usually due to light sensitivity. Anyway caffeine always knocks it out! Excedrin migraine has caffeine and it gets rid of the pain extremely fast!