Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
halibutmike
Mouth Breather

New Regulations Jan 1, 2012 - Southern California

South Coast Study Region Marine Protected Areas adopted by the California Fish and Game Commission (Effective January 1, 2012)

Link below shows the actual new regulations and changes (deletion) to old regs.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2010/632fregs.pdf

DFG summary with maps, coordinates and allowed take - link below.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

Good Maps with sat photos at
http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=910

If you plan to beach dive close to any no take boundaries, I suggest that you carefully plot the boundary lines on Google earth Map / sats and print a copy to have with you.

In a boat.... you better have a good gps.

There will be no markers for most areas.

In addition to the new closed to fishing areas, there are annual season changes. See DFG link
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs5.asp

Note that rockfish including sheephead are generally closed January and February.... But are open for divers... BUT READ THE DETAILS FOR EACH FISH.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

RIP: Spearfishing in Laguna 1933-2011.

Remembering Laguna

The Only Places Left in Laguna to Spearfish.
halibutmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: New Regulations Jan 1, 2012 - Southern California

Thanks Mike for posting up the new regs for Socal. You have been the source of a wealth of regulatory information which I believe board members truly appreciate knowing about. Even though many of the restrictions are very difficult to accept, everyone should understand they exist and know where to find their details. Your posts are very helpful.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Bill McIntyre

Thanks Mike. This section confirms what I thought I knew, but now I know that I know.

Quote:
(7) Anchoring. Vessels shall be allowed to anchor in any marine protected area or
marine managed area with catch onboard unless otherwise specified in subsection
632(b), areas and special regulations for use. Fishing gear shall not be deployed in the
water while anchored in a state marine reserve. Fishing gear, except legal fishing gear
used to take species identified as allowed for take in subsection 632(b), shall not be
deployed in the water while anchored in a state marine recreational management area,
state marine park or state marine conservation area. Anchoring regulations shall be
consistent with federal law and allowances made for anchoring required by emergency
or severe weather.
(8) Transit or Drifting. Vessels shall be allowed to transit through marine protected areas
and marine managed areas with catch onboard. Fishing gear shall not be deployed in
the water while transiting through a state marine reserve. Fishing gear, except legal
fishing gear used to take species identified as allowed for take in subsection 632(b),
shall not be deployed in the water while transiting through a state marine recreational
management area, state marine park or state marine conservation area.
So I read that as saying that I can have a white sea bass and spearguns in my boat, but legally anchor off of Laguna while I jig my GoPro off of a fishing rod as suggested by Joe.

I keep teetering on the edge, but this may be enough to goad me into buying a GoPro just so I can do that.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
JFH
Wait, What?

Am I reading this correctly that swimming and wading are prohibited in the san elijo SMCA? This would men no swimming in cardiff and encinitas. How are they going to enforce this?? Are they going to enforce this or just the diving and fishing?
JFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
cksea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFH View Post
Am I reading this correctly that swimming and wading are prohibited in the san elijo SMCA? This would men no swimming in cardiff and encinitas. How are they going to enforce this?? Are they going to enforce this or just the diving and fishing?
Thats the estuary, the ocean is the swamis MCA
cksea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Thanks Mike. This section confirms what I thought I knew, but now I know that I know.

So I read that as saying that I can have a white sea bass and spearguns in my boat, but legally anchor off of Laguna while I jig my GoPro off of a fishing rod as suggested by Joe.

I keep teetering on the edge, but this may be enough to goad me into buying a GoPro just so I can do that.
yes you are correct.

here is what happens in the mpa up here in santa cruz , nobody knows its there ,everyone still fishes it , i have never heard of anyone getting a ticket.
but then again ours only go from shore out to 1000 yards (or something like that ) so it is hard to tell where it is stops.
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Huntersmoon
The Creature

This is too confusing...I just want to spearfish, no reading, no math.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post

i Will loan you mine Bill.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
JFH
Wait, What?

Thanks for clarifying.
JFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
HeadlessHunter

Am I reading that right? You can take WSB and Bonito in the Swami's reserve but not Yellowtail?
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
sdncdiver

In the Swami's reserve spearfishing will be allowed for pelagic finfish, as defined in section 632(a)(3). This definition includes Yellowtail.
sdncdiver is offline   Reply With Quote