Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
ApneaAddict

Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

I had been trying to save the broomtail grouper I speared this past summer (my avatar photo) for a special occasion, but realized yesterday that I was saving it for so long that it might start losing some of its quality soon, so I pulled a bag out of the freezer. I used some recipes online as the model, but improvised a bit too. It came out far better than I could have possibly hoped. The fast/hot searing results in a thin crisp layer on the outside of the fillet and when you bite through (with grouper at least), its super moist and almost buttery inside. The salsa adds a bit of sweet that goes great with the spicy cajun rub. I will be doing this recipe again, that's for sure.

-Pan seared grouper-

Principle ingredients
1. Cajun spices
2. Grouper fillets
3. "Tropical" salsa
4. Mixed greens/spinach/salad

Total prep and cook time <10 minutes.

A real Cajun rub calls a number of ingredients I didn't have on hand, so here's what I used (approximate values- this should make enough to lightly coat 3-4 normal sized servings):
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
3-5 tsp garlic salt (really just salt to taste)
dash of onion powder
dash of chili powder
dash of dried oregano
dash of dried basil
dash of dried thyme

Pat the fillets dry, then rub them down with the Cajun spice. (you want to coat it everywhere, but not cake it on- its pretty spicy/flavorful and seems like it could overpower the fish's flavor if you aren't careful)

Put enough olive oil in a non-stick pan to cover the bottom and put on the burner until the oil begins to smoke just slightly (very hot!).

Put the fish on for 2-4 minutes per side (depending on thickness). (If you've got a real thick fillet, you might want to sear multiple sides- I seared 4 different sides on mine for ~2 minutes each.)

Remove from heat, put over a bed of mixed greens (I actually just used spinach because it was all I had).

Apply some store-bought salsa that includes some sweet/tropical components (I used Lucky brand "Peach and Pineapple Salsa").

Devour with gusto.

P.S. I should add the caveat that broomtail is incredibly delicious however you cook it. Part of why this recipe was so good no doubt has to do with the fact that I'm madly in love with grouper.

Last edited by ApneaAddict; 01-27-2011 at 08:52 PM.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
BenSpearing

Re: Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

Nice recipe! More work than I usually do, but I'm sure I will use it at least a few times.

I'm a simple person with my grouper.

1/2 to 3/4 inch thick fillets
Some fresh ground pepper and sea salt
Grill the fish...indoor grilling pan is easier....charcoal grill is more fun.
Throw the fillet on some french bread style sandwich loaf.
Grill some red onions real quick and add them on.
Add cheese if you like...I go with a couple paper thin slices of whatever mild cheese I have around...a little bit of honey mustard or Marie Sharp's Mild Habanero, and a thin layer of lettuce.
That is my lunch once or twice a week.
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
ApneaAddict

Re: Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

I couldn't help myself and ended up cooking it two nights in a row

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Ethan kills
OG Troll

all you had was spinach? Wheres all the mushy's?!
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Bill McIntyre

That looks great! It may be the fate of my last piece of wsb.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Chris Oak
the ghost

That sounds great, I've been experimenting with a maple syrup recipe. You take cajun spices and mix it with maple syrup and rub it all over the fish, let marinate for a hour or so. Get a pan hot with a tiny bit of oil and fry the whole thing. The sweetness of the syrup with the spice of the cajun seasoning is fantastic.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

I can attest to this being quite good. Especially this time of year with older fish, I think a salty/spicy rub like this really neutralizes the old fish taste on the surface of the fillets.
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

that looks amazing
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
ApneaAddict

The best thing about pan searing fish this way is the prep and cook time is about as short as is physically possible (other than sashimi- which you have you cut carefully anyway, so it might still win!). Some days I like taking the time to cook something fancy, other days I get home from work and just want food in my belly ASAP. Honest to god, from fridge to fork I think this takes about 10 minutes. Its a beautiful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oak View Post
That sounds great, I've been experimenting with a maple syrup recipe. You take cajun spices and mix it with maple syrup and rub it all over the fish, let marinate for a hour or so. Get a pan hot with a tiny bit of oil and fry the whole thing. The sweetness of the syrup with the spice of the cajun seasoning is fantastic.
Oh man, I can imagine that combination of flavors being really good! I might have to steal this idea. The sweetness that the pineapple salsa contributed really balanced the spicy/salty of the cajun seasoning, so I imagine the maple syrup would work the same way.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAddict View Post
P.S. I should add the caveat that broomtail is incredibly delicious however you cook it. Part of why this recipe was so good no doubt has to do with the fact that I'm madly in love with grouper.
I agree, broomtail is some of the best fish I've ever had. I too am in love with it. Your recipe sounds amazing - it seals the fate of at least one of my cabrilla fillets. The picture makes my stomach grumble.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

OMG, that looks epic!
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Kirby
Razorbut-Haliclams

Awesome Carter. White meat fish is all we get up here. Your recipe will certainly come in handy in the next few months. I'll see you here!

PS.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
ApneaAddict

Glad you guys are thinking to try this one out, I hope you like it. Kirby, I'll be interested to hear how it goes with our local fare. I think lingcod would be good, but I'm afraid that the oil content in most rockfish, etc is so low that I just can't predict how it'll compare. Let me know how it goes?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAddict View Post
Glad you guys are thinking to try this one out, I hope you like it. Kirby, I'll be interested to hear how it goes with our local fare. I think lingcod would be good, but I'm afraid that the oil content in most rockfish, etc is so low that I just can't predict how it'll compare. Let me know how it goes?
Is the oil content of broomtail really higher?

I grew up eating grouper in Florida, and the only thing my Grandmother knew how to do was fry. Of course they were mostly gag grouper, but I wouldn't think grouper oil content would vary much.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

Carter kept telling me how oily his grouper was and I refused to believe him- why would a white fish be so oily? But it really is one greasy fish (I think that's why it tastes so good).
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote