Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Billy Z
Live Action!
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Camden County, NJ
Posts: 6
Blue claw crabs

Do standard regulations apply while diving? I have been seeing hundreds of big blue claws lately. If so, does anyone make a basket I could tie to my float?
Billy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
jersymudsniper
Registered User
 
jersymudsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sj
Posts: 531
Re: Blue claw crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Z View Post
Do standard regulations apply while diving? I have been seeing hundreds of big blue claws lately. If so, does anyone make a basket I could tie to my float?
The ones you are seeing are most likely females. Mostly with eggs. You can keep them if they have no eggs. Same regs. Its tough depending where you dive and if shore or boat. Dragging a bag of crabs is like a sea anchor plus in my experience towing them in current kills them by end of dive. Get them at end of day if ur gonna drag them around shore diving. Jmo.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Dloat
Registered User
 
Dloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South jersey
Posts: 369
Re: Blue claw crabs

I use a mesh laundry bag and hook it to my stringer. They are almost all females but after they’ve laid their eggs they don’t do so again in their life cycle so don’t feel bad about taking females.
Dloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
StukNotAnchored
Registered User
 
StukNotAnchored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ocean City, NJ & Islamorada, Fl
Posts: 131
Re: Blue claw crabs

I run the Fun Time Crabbing charters outside of Ocean City, NJ
( FunTimeCrabbing.com )The only reg for crabs is the 4.5 inch possession limit.

While I have never picked them up while diving, what you may want to do is sink a bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in it (and a lid) and keep it near you. The crabs will always head for the bottom of the bucket so you can get it 3/4 full by they time they can crawl out. That would be about 4 gallons of crabs which is half a bushel (bushel being 8.8 gallons).
__________________
You can't stop stupid; you have to work really hard just to contain it.
StukNotAnchored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
jersymudsniper
Registered User
 
jersymudsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sj
Posts: 531
Re: Blue claw crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukNotAnchored View Post
I run the Fun Time Crabbing charters outside of Ocean City, NJ
( FunTimeCrabbing.com )The only reg for crabs is the 4.5 inch possession limit.
I thought they cant have eggs also?

Last edited by jersymudsniper; 07-08-2019 at 08:40 PM.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
StukNotAnchored
Registered User
 
StukNotAnchored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ocean City, NJ & Islamorada, Fl
Posts: 131
Re: Blue claw crabs

You are correct on the eggs. I was responding to what I thought was a question about limitations on harvesting methods. Long and short, no eggs, 4.5 inches point to point and no one cares how you came to possess them (whether by diving, or using traps from the surface or catch them from seagulls dropping them in the parking lot).

I am more amazed that the poster can catch a significant number by diving at all. Usually the vis in NJ not good and even a big crab is fairly small and blends well with the bottom. In the brackish water where we work we cannot even see the bottom of the boat from a full arms length away to scrape it when we are underneath.
__________________
You can't stop stupid; you have to work really hard just to contain it.
StukNotAnchored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 307
Re: Blue claw crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
The ones you are seeing are most likely females. Mostly with eggs. You can keep them if they have no eggs. Same regs. Its tough depending where you dive and if shore or boat. Dragging a bag of crabs is like a sea anchor plus in my experience towing them in current kills them by end of dive. Get them at end of day if ur gonna drag them around shore diving. Jmo.
Shit man, if the current doesnt kill them im sure that walk back in the heat will have them cooked up real good by the time you reach the parking lot
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
jersymudsniper
Registered User
 
jersymudsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sj
Posts: 531
Re: Blue claw crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukNotAnchored View Post
You are correct on the eggs. I was responding to what I thought was a question about limitations on harvesting methods. Long and short, no eggs, 4.5 inches point to point and no one cares how you came to possess them (whether by diving, or using traps from the surface or catch them from seagulls dropping them in the parking lot).

I am more amazed that the poster can catch a significant number by diving at all. Usually the vis in NJ not good and even a big crab is fairly small and blends well with the bottom. In the brackish water where we work we cannot even see the bottom of the boat from a full arms length away to scrape it when we are underneath.
Could get hundreds they are laying all over in sand. Visability been steady 5 to 10ft.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer
 
TriggerNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ
Posts: 1,224
Re: Blue claw crabs

Once in a blue moon when the bay gets way to hot and dissolved oxygen plummets I've seen a certain inlet fill up with big males to the point of carpeting. I've only seen it twice but it lasts a little while when it does. Other than that it's all females about to broadcast eggs or just finishing up. When those females are done broadcasting eggs they are typically not in the shape where you want to bother going through the work to sit and pick meat from them. I can't stand picking crabs anymore but on the rare occasion I sit there with them I'm only messing with the meatiest ones. I don't know how I used to sit there eating bits for hours as a kid.
__________________
Aqua Acupuncturist.....Stay Soggy
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
Dloat
Registered User
 
Dloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South jersey
Posts: 369
Re: Blue claw crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
Could get hundreds they are laying all over in sand. Visability been steady 5 to 10ft.
Yup, any rock I dive just outside an inlet usually has a few half covered in sand around it
Dloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com