Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
daintreediver

List of spears that max band stretch

Looking for a list of spears that maximize band stretch by placing shark fins at very back of the spear so far the only spears I know of that do this is the abellan spears and the pathos spears and possibly trygons (can someone confirm this)

If you know of any other spears that have this feature please list them here as Iam looking for all options available. I don't know why all manufactures are not doing this as it is a simple way to add free band stretch and is just a waste for those that are not.

Thanks
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: List of spears that max band stretch

I think the majority of European shaft manufacturer does this to some extent. I just looked at some Cressi shafts made with Sandvik stainless steel and they have the last pin pretty far back. The price is right, too.

http://www.subprof.com/tienda/produc...ARK+FINS++7MM+

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Nix

KJ shafts
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
Looking for a list of spears that maximize band stretch by placing shark fins at very back of the spear so far the only spears I know of that do this is the abellan spears and the pathos spears and possibly trygons (can someone confirm this)

If you know of any other spears that have this feature please list them here as Iam looking for all options available. I don't know why all manufactures are not doing this as it is a simple way to add free band stretch and is just a waste for those that are not.

Thanks
Not sure what type of shaft you are looking for. I'll attach a few photos of the ends of some of our shafts.

http://www.makospearguns.com/category-s/44.htm

Thanks!

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Dano, why are the tabs for the American shafts further back than the European shafts?

Could you change the production of your European shafts to have the tabs as far back as the American shafts?

That is what we are looking for.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
daintreediver

Thanks for response so far, dano im looking for euro fitting shafts not the American ones and as spearotastic says on your euro shaft the fins are far forward as are all the south African type euro shafts. If I could get rob allen/mako type south african shafts with fins at the very back like pathos I would buy stacks of them in a heartbeat.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
spearq8

I asked Sporasub why they didn't fins their fins closer to the trigger and they answered that many people will find the shafts difficult to load. Not very convincing but that is the response I got. Most likely it has to do with also trying to be compatible with a lot of different mechanisms. I think for a long time many manufacturers never really thought about maximizing efficiency per gun footprint, but that might be changing as more and more people are looking to get a more powerful gun without increasing size.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
daintreediver

Hey maj do you know of any other manufacturers who are making spears with fins right at the back?

I had a look at those kj spears mentioned above they look to have the fins right at the back and are possible south African type spears? There is very little info on the net about them, nix or anyone else got more info on them?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
finnfanrm

I think Dean at addiction spears will put them anywhere you want them to be
Old 10-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
Dano, why are the tabs for the American shafts further back than the European shafts?

Could you change the production of your European shafts to have the tabs as far back as the American shafts?

That is what we are looking for.
Same here. I'm waiting for your answer.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfanrm View Post
I think Dean at addiction spears will put them anywhere you want them to be
This is the best option
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Same here. I'm waiting for your answer.
Quote:
Hey maj do you know of any other manufacturers who are making spears with fins right at the back?

I had a look at those kj spears mentioned above they look to have the fins right at the back and are possible south African type spears? There is very little info on the net about them, nix or anyone else got more info on them?
Hey guys,

I can certainly offer my Euro cut South African spears with the sharkfin tabs positioned farther back.

I’m headed to the spear factory in South Africa next week. But, I will send an email to the factory tonight so they can get started asap.

Can you tell me what lengths you would be interested in?

What about the thickness?

Regarding my American cut South African sharkfin tab spears, they were designed by custom gun builder, Chad Morris (aka Griswold on Spearboard). Chad shoots big fish. I assume, he needed the extra power, which is why he recommended to me the current position of the sharkfin tabs.

As a side note, I have buddy who has some of Dean’s Addiction Spears. My buddy definitely knows his stuff and he loves them. He said Dean’s spears are top notch.

As for the KJ spears, they are made by the same South African spear factory that makes my MAKO spears as well as Daryl Wongs spears. I am a bit biased, so for obvious reasons, I do think the KJ spears and Wong spears are very good quality too.

Well, thanks guys, for lighting a fire under me.

Dive safe,

dano

Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
daintreediver

hey dano

7mm and 140cm would be what iam looking at with the last fin only being 3cm or so from the back of the spear?. Do you ship to Australia? I had a look on your website and when I select shipping it wont allow me to ship to Australia it only says usa and one other country I cant remember the name?

Can anyone tell me more about the distance the last fin is from the back of the spear for these KJ spears? and where the heck can you buy them from?

Also these addiction spears the website doesn't work for me it just comes up with a black screen and again very hard to find info on them?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
hey dano

7mm and 140cm would be what iam looking at with the last fin only being 3cm or so from the back of the spear?. Do you ship to Australia? I had a look on your website and when I select shipping it wont allow me to ship to Australia it only says usa and one other country I cant remember the name?

Can anyone tell me more about the distance the last fin is from the back of the spear for these KJ spears? and where the heck can you buy them from?

Also these addiction spears the website doesn't work for me it just comes up with a black screen and again very hard to find info on them?
Hey daintreediver,

Thanks for the input. I will make a note of that.

I ship all over the world. And, I can ship any product, except for my Predator 2nd Generation and Oceanic guns to Australia.

In accordance with my licensing agreement, I cannot ship these two guns to Australia.

For shipping quotes (for any other product) to any country in the world, just send me an email with your address and I will quote the best rates.

Regarding the KJ spears, I believe you can still get them at Florida Freedivers. Mike Damms, the original owner of Florida Freedivers is the guy who named the spears (KJ). Mike started buying them from the South African factory about the same time I did. Jonathan is the new owner of Florida Freedivers. He is a super knowledgeable guy. I’m sure he can help you.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #15
spearq8

Euro shaft's first sharkfin tend to range from 45mm to 120mm. The Pathos and Abellan and Hunt shafts are the newer type, designed to maximize band stretch and are at the lower end (in the 45mm). As you can imagine, adding 5cm to 7cm of band stretch with the shaft alone + another 8cm with a reverse trigger can change a 100 gun to around a 115cm gun ... while still using an identical footprint. For a pipe gun that is an increase in 3 divisions while still maintaining the same footprint (euros usually increase in 5cm increments).

A shaft is the heart of any speargun ... you can have the best gun in the world and it will shoot like crap if you don't mate it with a good shaft. I know so because I have over 400 different shafts ranging from $25 shafts to $300+ custom shafts, and I always try different combinations. I still think I have not found the perfect shaft. There are 3 shafts that stand out from all the rest in terms of accuracy ... One is the very old Sporasub shaft that came with the Spear One gun with a flopper that has a small SS ring to hold the flopper (unfortunately no longer produced), the other is the Omer coned shaft and of course the Sporasub America One shaft. A shaft to perform well needs to have a flopper that is recessed or tucked in to reduce water resistance and to improve penetration. A cone also prevents the flopper from vectoring the shaft all over the place as it allows a uniform water column stream to overlap the non uniform stream of the flopper. A shaft that flies straight without having the tip vectored off line is a shaft that will shoot more accurately ... and shoot with a much better transfer of momentum and power into the target. Another way to do that is to simply have a cone in front as that almost gives the same effect albeit with a little more drag. Yet another solution is to simply make the flopper very thin but keep it strong by using extra hard heat treated SS on the flopper (Sporasub America One shaft). So Dano if you want to make a really nice shaft, drop the fins back to around 4 to 4.5cm from the end and have the second fin close ... and add a cone up front. The cone might add costs a little but it makes a huge difference in accuracy and improved penetration on target.

Last edited by spearq8; 10-16-2014 at 11:51 PM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote