Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
bleu
Official Sponsor

Re: Front Line Freediving Review

Review from Brittany who drove down from Virginia for my PFI Freediver Class

"Being new to diving, my boyfriend found it necessary to get me in a free diving class to teach me all the basics and fundamentals before diving and spearfishing with him and his friends who are all fairly experienced with spearfishing. Needless to say the class taught me a substantial amount within a 3 day window. Sam was very thorough in his methods of educating our class (which was maxed out at 5 students, 4 new and one refresher). He took the time with all of us individually to work on our problem areas. Safety was a huge emphasis in this class which I really valued being that I will be diving with people who will likely hit deeper depths and I want to know exactly what to do if a situation were to head south. We did several rescue exercises and many of them were unpredictable to which we had to act quickly in order to save our other partner. Sam was definitely not afraid to tell us if we were doing something wrong and did everything to help correct our mistakes. Aside from the weather preventing us from the ocean dive experience I was looking forward to, he made sure when we left on Sunday that we felt very confident with our rescue techniques, entry methods, statics, and just everything from gear to our experience. He encouraged us to come back for line dives and to even go out spearfishing with him whenever there was availability on both schedules behalf. In my opinion a good instructor will teach you all you need to know, a great instructor will encourage you to come back whenever to hone up skills and put those skills to use in the water. As a beginner, this class was probably the best decision I could have made before getting into spearfishing. Very well instructed and I definitely recommend this course to any beginners out there or even people just looking to dive deeper and be safer in the water. Thank you for all the knowledge Front Line Freediving and Sam Blount! We'll absolutely be back in the future!"

bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
bleu
Official Sponsor

Review from Andrew Carwile

"My name is Andrew. I'm 35 and from Virginia Beach. This past weekend a couple friends and I made a little trip south to take a beginner freediving course with Sam Blount and Front Line Freediving. I have been freediving and spearfishing for a few years now. It's a big part of my life. For sometime now I've been wanting to take this course for many reasons. I wanted to be able to dive deeper, hold my breath longer, equalize better but most of all I honestly wanted to learn the safety side of the sport. Freediving and spearfishing are both very dangerous sports/hobby's.
My friends and I took the June 10-12 class with Sam. I didn't really know what to think going down there. From the start Sam makes everyone feel very comfortable. No one person is the same. Not everyone in the class is on the same level as far as diving skills. This class is great, everyone was treated the same and in my opinion everyone learned a lot! If there is one thing that I do know about freediving it's that nobody just picks it up overnight. There are so many variables that have to come together to be a safe freediver. Sam and Front Line Freediving not only go over all of these but he makes sure everyone understands. Everyone in the class has a one on one with every thing being taught. The class had five people which is great. Not to big, not too small. Having a odd number really ensures that everyone gets a little hands on one on one time with Sam. I can't say enough about this class. Sam is a class act and good dude! One of the things that I want to say is how Sam works with you. I had and am still having problems equalizing. Before I made the trip south Sam face timed with me a handful of times to help me out one on one. Even after the class he continues to work with me. Very awesome! He also invited my friends and I back down for a dive trip as well as line dives. If there is anybody out there that dives as a hobby or sport I would highly recommend Sam and Front Line. This course is reasonably priced and very thorough! One big thing I took with me is the safely side of it. I will never dive the way I use to and people I know new to the sport will definitely get a safely briefing from me before we dive next time! I am very much looking forward to continue learning more from Sam in the future and also putting a little fish blood on the boat!
Thanks Sam!
Andrew"

Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
bleu
Official Sponsor

Review from Jack Cortez. Im constantly humbled by the desire to learn and tenacity of my students.

"Recently I had the pleasure of going through a freediving course with Sam Blount and Front Line Freediving. It was an excellent test of my physical ability and skill. The challenges I experienced, showed me some real areas that I can improve on, specifically in regard to my breath control and water work. You rarely get tested in life mentally and physically the way freediving tests you. Having someone as professional, patient and knowledgable as Sam, is exactly the kind of guide you would want when exploring the world of freediving for the first time. Going from the classroom, to the open ocean two days later, I knew I was in good hands and never once felt concerned for my safety. Regardless of ability, Sam never makes you feel ashamed and always encourages you to take the time to develop your skill. Freediving in general and especially having Sam as an instructor, is something I would highly recommend to active duty military, veterans, athletes, scuba divers, or anyone that practices yoga. Taking something as fundamental as breathing and learning to refocus and begin to master it and conversely your heart rate is something that everyone could benefit from. For those that are a short drive or live in the Southeast North Carolina area, I would strongly encourage taking a weekend and learning what Front Line Freediving could teach you."

Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
bleu
Official Sponsor

A review from Kent.

I took Sam Blount's Front Line Freediving course last weekend and I can't recommend
it highly enough to anyone who is interested in freediving or spearfishing. As a
long time scuba diver and fisherman I became intrigued by the idea of spearfishing
on one breath while freediving. The only experience I had with breath hold was
taking pictures with an underwater camera while snorkeling in heavy current with no
weights, so needless to say I wasn't sure I could be comfortable holding my breath
for 2 or 3 minutes while hunting for fish.

Sam taught me the science behind the mammalian dive response, where and why
blackouts happen, what to do in the event that I am diving with someone who has loss
of motor control or a blackout, as well as breathing techniques leading up to a dive
and the ones to use after a dive. That's only a small sample of what we learned in
the class which was totally comprehensive, but here is the bottom line - although
freediving is complicated, with training from a knowledgeable mentor like Sam you
can learn to dive safely and access a whole new world to yourself free of scuba
tanks.

During Sam's course I was able to hold my breath for over 3 minutes as a rookie and
Sam taught me a number of exercises that I can use to train myself to be more
comfortable holding my breath . Thanks to Front Line Freediving I am ready to take
on spearfishing and I couldn't be more psyched!

If you are serious about learning how to freedive and you haven't taken a course,
you should sign up for a spot in the next Frontline Freediving class. It's totally
worth it!

- Kent Braud

Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
bleu
Official Sponsor

A review from Oliver who attended my last class with his son and buddy.

"What an incredible experience!! Mr Sam Blount at Front Line took my friend Mike, my son Logan, and myself in as if we were family. I had my doubts going in to this thing as we are scuba spearos and I've watched freedivers pull off there stunts for years now wishing I had the youth needed to hang with youngins. I remember one of the first things i said to Sam was sort of an apology for pretty much wasting his weekend trying to train a semi old fart like myself. Sam assured me i wouldn't have a problem holding my breath for atleast 2 and a half minutes and be able to dive to a minimum of 66 feet. I basically laughed in his face but promised him I would give it my all . Inside of 2 days my static breath hold was at 3 minutes 30 seconds with plenty of room to spare . And made it close to 70 ft in just 2 hours of check out dives in cold water . I have no doubt at this point that by summer I'll be breaking triple digit depths and I owe it all to Sam . What difference he makes and what an experience !! I plan on putting my entire family through the course for fun and safety . I couldn't be more happy with the results!!!"

Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #21
In Sea Diver

If anyone is interested I've posted a gift certificate for sale under the forum "spearfishing gear section - all other gear":

Front Line Freediving Instruction Course - This gift certificate is valued over $500.00

I am offering it for $350.00 because I won this in a spearfishing tournament and have no plans to use it.

This will make the perfect Gift for someone or you could buy it for yourself.

Freediver - Performance Freediving International

This certificate includes class materials and boat fee with Front Line Diving out of Wrightsville Beach NC- check out the details in the picture.

Contact me via phone or text:

Jim 910-520-8279
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	230710  
In Sea Diver is offline   Reply With Quote