Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Ampshark

Custom Slings

Hello,
Dad and I tried our hand at making some slings from scratch. Only part we did not make was the flopper. What do you think? Any suggestions? Anyone looking for a custom wood sling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	234758  
Ampshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Powers
Dad

Re: Custom Slings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampshark View Post
Hello,
Dad and I tried our hand at making some slings from scratch. Only part we did not make was the flopper. What do you think? Any suggestions? Anyone looking for a custom wood sling?
Very nice! I make my own slings as well. It adds to the fun when you built your own weapon.

I really like a shooter that sinks. That way, when you are rooting a grouper out of the rock, etc., it stays down there where you leave it. Therefore, ebony and black and white ebony are favorites of mine. I also have a handle made from lignum vitae that I use often.

Great work. I'd love to see more.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Ampshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Very nice! I make my own slings as well. It adds to the fun when you built your own weapon.

I really like a shooter that sinks. That way, when you are rooting a grouper out of the rock, etc., it stays down there where you leave it. Therefore, ebony and black and white ebony are favorites of mine. I also have a handle made from lignum vitae that I use often.

Great work. I'd love to see more.
Do you make your own shafts? We are looking for a better material. Just picked up some marble wood for some super dense slings.
Ampshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampshark View Post
Do you make your own shafts? We are looking for a better material. Just picked up some marble wood for some super dense slings.
I don't. I actually bought a length of titanium a few years ago to make a titanium shaft, but it seemed too light and I've never done anything with it. For fish, I like a flopper that is set further back from the tip for a better hold. For lobster, the shafts they sell down in the Bahamas with the flopper set close to the tip are perfect.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote