Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #16
zds3488

Now John,
We dont want to start another Dogs vs. Cats thread!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 PM   #17
Summerland Key

A friend of mine in Key West came down with ciguatera after eating some 'snapper fillets" he bought from a charter boat for his restaurant. He found out later the 'snapper fillets" were really barracuda fillets.

Another charter fisherman I know would bring barracuda fillets, from smaller barracuda, home for his 5 cats. Apparently, he got a bad one and it killed two of his cats and caused the hair to fall out of the other three.

There was another case of the crew on a passing freighter that caught a large barracuda somewhere off Tortugas and ate it. They got sick and some had to be taken off the freighter.

I heard reports of hogfish from Tortugas being ciguatera toxic, but I have eaten many and never got sick. I suppose it is possible, but I think some of those hogfish actually came from Cay Sal in the Bahamas.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:28 PM   #18
Peter R.
taking a trip, not tak...

Carlos Eyles (one of the great West Coast blue water hunters) writes of his bout with cigueterra in his book The Blue Edge. It goes into depth of the symptons and prognosis.

He lived summers on a boat moored off of Catalina and hunted White Sea Bass and Yellowtail for his sustenance. Apparently he needed more to fulfill his quest and moved to the south seas to live purely as a spearo. He did for a short time, but unfortunately contracted cig from a fish he shot. Damn near killed him.
Peter R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #19
deepdown

Yep, I read that story. He can no longer eat seafood of any kind. How about that.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #20
Carcharhinus

poison fish

Never had ciguatera.
Never intend to have ciguatera.
I don't eat barracuda, even in the northern Gulf.
C. leucas
Carcharhinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #21
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Carcharhinus,

Barracuda aren't the only fish to carry it. Any large fish that feeds on coral reef fish or fish that feed on coral reef fish can have it.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:14 PM   #22
Peter R.
taking a trip, not tak...

Deepdown,
ROTFLMAO
Bro, your avatar and your signature is one of the funnier things I've ever seen on this already funny website. My day has been made countless times from the humour found here. But for the love of everthing hetero and the sanctity of the mental images that might get stuck in my head... please change your avatar! At least turn off the freekin animation! It's messin with me even more than Slipknots dancin rolly-polly did or RJ's banana-hammocked Miami Beach Godfather!
I guess I can always seek refuge in the Bikini Thread.

Peter R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #23
Capt.Gene

I could start a ciguatera club support meeting..

Most of the usual suspects that dove with me in the early 80's know first hand about this.
I crewed on the Shearwater for a Tortugas kill trip and I think the owner sold the catch to orphans and old folks homes. It got a lot of press, and a lot of people got very sick.
My second experience with the toxin came in the mid 80's on the old Volunteer boat that ran to the Tortugas from Naples.
Both trips the water was quite warm from the summer, and the suspected sourse of the toxin was hogfish.
Divers that consumed the most hog fish got the sickest.
Hot and cold reversal was a common complaint.
On poor guy started treatment for ms when he was mis-diagnosed.
He kept getting sicker and sicker because he kept eating the hog fish. His wife, not a fish eater, just kept cooking.
Several of the wives of the divers got sick to different degrees, as well.
Symptoms were seemingly uncommon between people. Not everyone got the temp reversal. My balls ached for about a week like someone had kicked me.(Hold the remarks, wasn't funny then or now). Nausia, headache, muscle ache like the flue, cramps, almost like being on lsd,as one young guy told me.
re-occurances came every time some of the divers consumed any fish at all, even fish sticks.
Dr Mike and Dr Harry were with me on the second trip. They now both test fish with a test kit called CiguaCheck.
I might post more on this later if anyone cares, but I gotta run now. G.
Capt.Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:17 AM   #24
WreckHunter

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies. I knew there would be some good stories out there. This forum is great.

Deepdown,
I have to agree about that avatar. It is funny but ENOUGH ALREADY, how about posting something we WANT to look at .
WreckHunter is offline   Reply With Quote