Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 02-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Nick...I think that it greatly help newbies getting into the game...but I am so religious about what I gear up with(and used to it)...it would take me some time to adjust to something like that, and you as well.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

therin lies the problem. Most divers like us that are past the beginner stage but not a Terry in our own right yet are traditionally the ones who blackout, not the newb. More skill than sense...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

...Sooo true my friend!

I think I have been close a couple of times...euphoria,dizzyness, that wha wha sound! Haven't pushed myself that hard (sense)
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Bill McIntyre

Newbies are not the typical victims of SWB. Everyone I have personal knowledge of who has died has been very experienced and a lot better diver than I am.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

It does seems to be us that have quite a few dives under the belt that try to puch even farther, or just get complacent with thier actions.

My fault has been waiting in-between long dives...I just have no patience anymore, I guess. I have stopped doing that, and will now usually wait at least twice as long as the last dive, to relax and regain my breath.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

everyone is at risk, newbies related to what?
Spearfishing newbies maybe if the dont have a good protege, if they do, they will dive deep fast, and hopefully the protege will be good on safety also, wich is normally not the case.
Newbies on pure freediving will hold his breath for 3 minutes in less than a week, sometimes in in a few hours they learn how to have a black out, normally, freediving classes are very safety proented, and normally they have a buddy there at all times.
But, What T Maas is doing, is very good, hopefully it will work the way is supposed to, I for one like the idea.
R
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #22
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

Oh don't get me wrong...I encourage anything that will help anyone....just remembering some bone-head crap I have done...maybe that will help anyone just starting out, or remind some old hats! ...
Old 02-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
chasintail
Hell Diver

[quote=ROBERTO REYES]everyone is at risk, newbies related to what?

Excellent topic and dicussion.Myself and many of my fellow divers are in the "danger zone" of freediving.By no means are we pros or beginners.As a "newbie" I never approched my limits ir even got close.Now,as I am getting extremly cromfortable snorkling in the abyss,I am starting to approach or exceed my limits on almost any diving day.
For example,
Last trip I was diving a rock that came from 400ft to 60ft.I dropped on top of the rock and started to stalk a pargo for waaaayyyyy to long.When I knew that shot was not going to happen I started up.I must have sucked the expanding air out of my mask so hard my eyes popped out.I never thought I would make the surface.
Not a problem I had as a rookie because I was not comfortable enough to dive that deep for that long.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #24
acevedo joseph

for the last 20 years local sandiego divers like Bill Wagner have been wearing a navy seal co2 powerd maywest type vest i used to were one when i used to dive alone . just pull the cord and up U go

you can find them for around 20 bucks at navy surplus stores
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #25
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevedo joseph
for the last 20 years local sandiego divers like Bill Wagner have been wearing a navy seal co2 powerd maywest type vest i used to were one when i used to dive alone . just pull the cord and up U go

you can find them for around 20 bucks at navy surplus stores
But the problem is that SWB victims that get saved don't seem to recall feeling any problem, so they wouldn't have pulled that cord. That's why something automatic is needed.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #26
acevedo joseph

bill i know but i just wanted to throw that out there.

you now how those gready white seabass hunters like to dive alone
still, its great tool to have if you look up after freeing a fish from the kelp
and say holy sh@t im not gona make it or you start seeing those white streakes of light just pull the cord
Old 02-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #27
zeN

Hi,
Any ideas on the price of this new vest? zeN
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #28
Oldsarge
Registered Bwana

Terry,
Welcome aboard from an aging newbie. I spend the first Wednesday of the month at Me'n'Ed's pizza and it's all your fault! Great book, I like the look of the new vest and, uh, when will you be back?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #29
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevedo joseph
you now how those gready white seabass hunters like to dive alone
still, its great tool to have if you look up after freeing a fish from the kelp
and say holy sh@t im not gona make it or you start seeing those white streakes of light just pull the cord
And I'm afraid I'm one of those greedy white sea bass hunters. We may all go out there in the same boat, but then we don't stay together. Since I think that most of the danger is involved with getting fish out of the kelp after you shoot them, I do preach to everyone that they should call for help if they have the slightest doubt that they are safe. Of course I can't count on everyone interrupting my hunting to ask for help, but you can bet your ass that I'll ask them to interrupt their hunting. I'm selfish that way.

I share your attitude about looking up and thinking I might not make it. I've had a few times when I thought I was in deep shit. My legs started to burn, I felt a bit faint, and then I saw stars when I hit the surface. Having felt that way, I would think I would have the sense to drop the weight belt, but I didn't,

Still, I have a hard time relating to all the stories from SWB survivors who said they had no warning at all. Since I felt like I was in deep shit, why did they say that they had no warning, and the next thing they knew some guy was playing kissy face with them or pounding on their chests when all they wanted to do was ask if he had seen that big fish. I don't know what the answer is, but I've read accounts from SWB survivors and rescuers for so long that I have to believe them, and I've talked to a few too.

WARNING- SERMON TO FOLLOW

I have been reading this stuff on the Freedivelist for so many years that I tend to forget that not everyone has the same knowledge base as do I. So please forgive me a bit of preaching.

If someone could pull the cord on his vest, then surely he could have dumped his weight belt, but it seems that almost no one does. Bill Kroll, former president of the Long Beach Neptunes, was found dead with his weight belt on.

A guy who used to crew on a dive boat that specialized on freedivers and who was highly regarded shot a big yellowtail at Clemente and it tied up at 70 feet. He turned down help from a passing scuba diver, and then later the scuba divers had to recover his body, weight belt still on.

I spotted the body of my dive buddy on the bottom at 90 feet, weight belt still on.

If none of these guys dropped their belts, I don't think its reasonable to think that they would have pulled a cord to inflate a vest. I think there is a real need for an automatic device.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #30
Stinkey Fish

I have a manual one that I made from a old bc. I can blow up if I get into trouble. Never needed it yet but its good to know its their. How much is TMass going to sell these things for ? I think they should change the yummy yellow color. They proved sharks like yellow. What would be the purpose of wearing a camo suit and a bright yellow vest ?
Stinkey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote