Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
CPLRENDON
La Lolla

Im stuck between Crist and Gat-Ku

So im looking for a decent pole spear for the Gat-ku tournament and im wondering which one is better or has the greater killing distance and accuracy. Also if anyone is willing to sell theirs or know someone who is hit me up any info on pole spears is much appreciated
CPLRENDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

Re: Im stuck between Crist and Gat-Ku

Killing distance? Depends on the length of the spear. Accuracy is in you.

The Crist will be slower but hit harder and pack more of a punch.
The Gat-Ku will be lighter and faster, but won't have the stopping power of the Crist.
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
JTH
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post

The Gat-Ku will be lighter and faster, but won't have the stopping power of the Crist.
x2
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
C monster
Do Rad Dough

Quote:
Really? Tell that to the dead fish in my avatar...

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
cvbeam
Chas

I have used both. I find that in our water with our fish it is important to keep the spear cocked on all dives (mainly calicos). This is difficult with the crist rubber and bigger spear, although the crist is a GREAT spear.

I think the gat-ku or similar is your best bet. 3-prong for fish under #10, and a slip tip for bigger fish.
cvbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by C monster View Post

SC
did you use his new way of rigging a slip tip?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:

X3

Both are quality spears made by good people. You cant really go wrong with either. For all around socal diving a 7 footer is a nice length, but I've also used everything from a 4 to 10 footer. Just remember, the longer the polespear, the greater the range, but the less agile you will be with it in the water.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
hardway
Aaron

Both are great spears, and they're both made by good men worthy of your support. Their basic differences have been stated already, and it really comes down to personal preference. My preference is Crist, but it probably has as much to do with familiarity as anything else.

You should consider using a cheapo spear in the tournament, and purchasing a nice one at the weigh-in and kegger. I'm sure Aaron Crist will have his spears there, and obviously Dustin's line up will be well represented. That way you will be able to play around with both and get a feel for them before you buy.

It's a great choice you have to make, because you really can't go wrong with either!
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
C monster
Do Rad Dough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
did you use his new way of rigging a slip tip?
Not sure. After a WSB much bigger than the 45+lbr in my avatar, ate my last pole spear, Dustin made me an all one piece, 8ft killing machine, with super thick band rubber and slip tip. Not sure how he's rigging the slip tips now, but mine works just fine, if you can hold it back long enough to aim... LOL

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
almazing

Go with a 7 or 8 foot Gat-Ku. The Crist is a little too heavy and slow for our fish species here. I can see using a Crist for pelagic species, but for our faster fish, a faster spear works better. I had mine set up with a single flopper and it worked wonders. Also consider your own strenght. A Crist comes with a monster band and it's very painful to hold that spear cocked for an extended period of time. With my old Gat-Ku, I was able to hold it cocked for minutes at a time. I now own a 3 piece 8 foot Riffe spear and it's quite a beast. But it's expensive.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by C monster View Post

SC
You obviously know your gear and what you are capable of doing with it. I wouldn't recommend someone who is asking the difference in two very different polespears and who is new to polespearing go out and conceivably start targeting fish big enough to test the limits of his gear. Fish rip off that way. IMO. Nice fish though.
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
bajahunter
MANIAC OF THE WEEK

Rule of courtesy, don't bring a Crist spear to a Gat-ku tournament, it would look pretty bad if you win it ; )

"LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY"
bajahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
hardway
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazing View Post
Go with a 7 or 8 foot Gat-Ku. The Crist is a little too heavy and slow for our fish species here. I can see using a Crist for pelagic species, but for our faster fish, a faster spear works better. I had mine set up with a single flopper and it worked wonders. Also consider your own strenght. A Crist comes with a monster band and it's very painful to hold that spear cocked for an extended period of time. With my old Gat-Ku, I was able to hold it cocked for minutes at a time. I now own a 3 piece 8 foot Riffe spear and it's quite a beast. But it's expensive.

I can't agree with all of this, but I do agree with some.

I've shot a lot of calicos, sheepshead, sandies, and such down there (like every time I come looking for wsb and yellowtail ) with my Crist and never felt it was too slow. You get used to what you use, and take your shots accordingly.

I use a single flopper mostly and love it (although I have been using a Crist paralyzer more lately and am liking it more than I thought I would). The single flopper shaft is the best all around set up, imo.

The Crist does come with a strong band, and at the end of a long day diving it can get hard to hold onto with a full pull. Even a half assed pull will still punch through most fish though, as long as you take a good shot, so I adjust my pull and shots accordingly as I wear down.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Anyone try one of these yet?

http://www.poseidonspears.com/produc...on-pole-spear/
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
hardway
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajahunter View Post
Rule of courtesy, don't bring a Crist spear to a Gat-ku tournament, it would look pretty bad if you win it ; )
I know this probably wasn't a serious post, but Dustin and Aaron are friends and have a lot of respect for each others work. I'm positive there wouldn't be any hard feelings if a Crist spear took first, especially since Dave sports a Gat-Ku and has represented Dustin's products pretty well so far