Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
spearo #uno
Senior user

Va./NC. Outer Banks

Hi folks,

I'm new to this board and was woundering if there is anyone alse with same interests in the area.

Saludos,

Spearo # uno.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #2
NCfishboy

I live in Kill Devil Hills (OBX) and have started spearfishing this summer. I have been snorkling out to a couple of wrecks just off the beach and been doing pretty good on the triggers, sheepshead, spadefish and a few tautog.
NCfishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
spearo #uno
Senior user

Nice to hear from you.
I've been doing The Grave Yard for a very long time and if there is any way I can be of help just let me know.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

Spearo#uno , Check out Charter boat [6 pac] "Akyla " out of Teachs Lair ,Hatteras. Great Times w/ this crew. I've Chartered them for next yr July 9-10 ,2005. Fast Hatteras style Boat. You can see them @ divehatteras.com Capt. Dave & Ann Sommers.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
spearo #uno
Senior user

Thanks.
I know the place well but I never been out with them. I use to go with Outer Banks Diving in the Bayou Runner alot, most of those divers are not to interested in all that "blood and guts" and since the dives are "deep" the bottom time stinks even with a mix. in my opinion. I'll tell you... I don't really care anymore to get down to 120/130fsw and hang with all the "pets" ready to still your bag or your leg if you can fill the string-up in 40/60 fsw without getting into all the other little problems. Where does Akyla goes to the Gulfstream or near shore wrecks?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

Akyla will go where ever you want.This is a custom 6 pac, not a fish friends cattle barge. Mate often spears his dinner too! If you dive Dixie & Abrams w/ 34 mix or so, w/ staying above the wrecks so as to not spook the grouper , then fall down on them w/ your Death stick, you can easily get a 45 min dive plus saftey stops. Whats short about a 55 minute Spearfishing Dive on the blue water wrecks? We have counted over 20 grouper at a time on these wrecks. Not too many sharks on these 2 wrecks.
I tell you though, a little further south out of Carolina Beach, "SPEARIT" got me on the Grouper filled ledges w/ monster Bugs. That area was so remote it was really loaded. There we counted over 100 grouper w/ at least 40 being over 30+ inches. I told Capt Tom Collins I wanted grouper + lobsters so he put us in spearin heaven.

Last edited by Md Spear; 09-01-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Md Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

First Tank on "Spearit"

This was Capt Tom Collins intro into his world. Me , a Maryland tourist and this was kill from my first Ledges tank.
I know I've shown this before, but relivin an adventure like June's "Spearit" trip still gets me pumped.
If you want to charter in NC to spear fish,Tom certainly can put that " I had an incredible Kill " shit eating grin back on ones face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spearit trip.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	11087  

Last edited by Md Spear; 09-01-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Md Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
spearo #uno
Senior user

You've been lucky. On the five trips that I have made to the Arrow there have been lots of legal groupers to take but never a single one stayed close for a shot, they looked like they "been there and done that" many times over, LOL. I belive on all the dives I have done on this wreck every single time there have been wall to wall mature Sandtigers at every turn allover the wreck. In fact, one day there was a nice size Bull shark doing trips from the bow to the first tall wall that is left standing. Nice bow!

Last year I did the Caribsea in July. About 5min. into the dive I shot the fist fish and soon after that I had several others on the wire. I got to one of the boilers (never saw one shark) and looked in a hole and saw what I was looking for. I got a head shot into a nice size grouper and right after I saw the tail of something big thru another hole moving above the fish hole. This took only seconds but right after I pulled the fish out of the hole this 7ftr. took fish, spear, gun, line and myself for a little ride. The 30 lbs. fish was gone in 2 seconds and he came back for more. I didn't see it at the time but I had some gut on my slins from the first ride and now he's coming for more. By the time this was over two of my three slings were broken and when I look down there were two more smaller sandtigers looking and doing the side to side thing just a few inches from my left leg/wire/BC. To make this short, I ended-up with no fish on that dive, lost two nice slings, got my gun muzzle all marked-up and I had to remove the tip of a shark tooth from my left finger. This all on the first dive of a very nice day. A close call out in the Blue Water just doing the thing we love to do.
The way I see it no fish is worth it and when that time comes only you know when is time to "give it up"

Last edited by spearo #uno; 09-19-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
SPEARIT

Glad Yall had a good time Wade. I just wish the weather had been a little better so I could have got you on some of my really good spots, maybe we can hit some next time you come.
I believe the best NC spearfishing lies on the ledges. We only do a few of the wrecks for specific fish(Pompanos or the Lobster wreck in early spring for lobster). The most of the wrecks just see too many divers for the fish not to be skittish and the wrecks attract too many sharks.
spearo #uno, Johnny and Amy at Outer Banks are good friends of mine, so I know they'd agree with me that the larger boats need to do the wrecks to fill the seats and most of the divers don't want spearfishing done when they're in the water. Doesn't make it right but since it's business "you gotta make the customers happy". Guess that's why I like running a 6pack boat.
Tom
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

Spearo#uno.........Cool story on your shark battle.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #11
spearo #uno
Senior user

NCFishboy. Just wanted to let you know that three years ago I shot the biggest and fattest Sheepshead ever, right off 1st. Street. On this dive the vis. was about 5ft.+- I took a lg. bag on that day to get my limit of mussels wich I love and maybe a few fish for dinner. I got over the spot and let myself down slow not to wake-up the residents... you know. I got to bottom and started "scrapping" a few hard Triggers and when I looked up I saw this thing that for a second looked like it blocked the sun light as it passed right in front of my mask. It was no challenge to get a shaft on that fish in the right spot but it sure was hard to bag it because of it size so I put it back thru the shaft and headed out to shore. I should have taken it to the weight station on the Beach Rd. but I din't and I also forgot all about my big bag of fresh mussels, I hate when that happens. LOL
Old 09-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #12
junior

My buddy was telling me about the big tuna run you guys get in the winter. What's the story on that? Any chance of spearing one in the winter up there?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #13
spearo #uno
Senior user

It may be possible if you get "the right crew", gear and the site but for the most part spearos here go for the sure kill and not for the "maybe they'll be there today, maybe not," thing. Weather and the expense is another factor. In general, just like big game season, if you're hunting for deer and you get to bag a black bear that's your lucky day.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #14
junior

What month is that tuna run? If it coincides with New Years I may give it a shot this winter. My family all lives in the Raleigh area. Any recommended captains? What areas are good?

What is the sure kill you refer to? Are you talking reef fish? What's water temps in January?? Makes my nuts shrink just thinking about it
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #15
SPEARIT

The Bluefin can start to show up as early as Nov but usually Dec to Feb timeframe is best . On the north side of Diamond shoals, you can find H&L charters out of Hatteras and on the south side, plenty of charters out of Morehead City. The Blues will be as close as 3 miles off the beach around Cape Lookout when the water drops to lower 60's. Further south than Cape Lookout, we've gotta go farther out to find them.
The Tuna fishery is really becoming quite productive here for both the commerical and charter H&L boats but unless something has changed recently, our permits have a gear restriction that prohibits the spearing of tuna.
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote