Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
A-Train

Mako Pro fiberglass fins medium stiffness

Hello, I am a firm believer in solid non biased reviews. I am a relatively new driver but I am making the choice to upgrade from traditional plastic dive fins to fiberglass for better performance while spearing in the gulf. While researching fiberglass fins looking for the best bang for the buck without sacraficing customer service I chose to go with Mako and their new Fiberglass Pro fins.

They are yet to arrive but they were ordered today direct via phone from Mako so I decided to document the interactions so far and do a full review here when they arrive.

To this point customer service has been all you can ask for. I contacted first by email and was answered back quickly and directly by Brad with Mako. He answered several questions promptly online and I called in a few days later after pay day. I was greeted with a friendly dude that actually sounded like he enjoyed his job and not like some who seemed to aggravated by doing their job. We walked through the order quickly and he applied 10% off via MILITARY DISCOUNT so thank you Mako for recognizing the sacrafice by our countries service men.

Im expecting the delivery in 3 to 5 business days and I will continue the review when they arrive.

So far so great... MAKO.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: Mako Pro fiberglass fins medium stiffness

Thanks for the very positive comments. Hope you love the fins!

Dive Safe
Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
A-Train

What's up Dano, thank you as well cant wait to get them wet.... more to come
Old 10-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
A-Train

Ok guys and gals the Fins are IN........ I'm super excited. When opening the box there was no damage and fins were packed well with small cardboard boxes inserted to fill space in the box and help protect fins. They are individually wrapped in plastic bags and each foot pocket has a small plastic form keeper in it. Once removed from their plastic each of them were clean and damage free and I have to say the jet black FG is down right sexy. Blades were fit well into pockets and all hardware secured.

I wear a size 12 shoe and went with the 12 -13 foot pockets. Initial fit with no sock or bootie is a tad loose but that's what you expect when ordering up. Gives me room for my sock so great so far there...

As far as comfort .... again I am a fng..... so I have not tried any other foot pockets so I have nothing to co.pare to. Saying that I will say I dont feel any "hot spots" in these pockets for potential rubbing or squeezing. They are comfortable on my feet but the swim test is yet to come.

I tried to get them on with my normal 3mm bootie and it just doesn't work out well. It's not the Mako product fault rather my current booties are 3mm but have a shit ton of large rubber grips on the bottom and sides so it's nothing like a 3mm sock. I ordered a set of Akona 2mm low cut fin socks I think will be worth fearful in these pockets.

More to come when I actually get them wet.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
A-Train

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	239994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	239995  
Old 10-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
A-Train

Ok guys and gals I couldn't help it I took a little dip in the lake behind the house once I got the kick down I was absolutely cruising with these bad boys on. The medium stiffness is a tad stiff but once I'm geared up and below the surface they will be perfect I believe. I'm 6ft 2 btw. I wore them barefoot and they are a little loose and caused some rubbing on the top of the toes but once the socks arrive they will snug things up and be perfect.

I know I researched a lot looking for info before my purchase and I put this out there so far and will continue to update to hopefully help anyone else with making their decision as well so if anyone has any questions please hit me up and I'll provide any info I can.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
Mikel_24

Why did you go the fiberglass route instead of going straight to the Carbon Fiber?

Just asking, not judging.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Why did you go the fiberglass route instead of going straight to the Carbon Fiber?

Mikel
Not to speak for him, but FG are a lot more durable in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
A-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

Mikel

No problem bro... all questions welcome here. As stated I'm a new driver. From my research the jump from plastic regular fins to FG freediving fins would be huge ( and it was) me NEVER using FG or CF the difference between them would be undetectable for me. So much so that the price difference now didn't justify the purchase. I have 1 million things on my list... tanks, pony setup, dive lights, yada yada yada that I NEED to purchase that along the way if I can get a great product without sacraficing durability and customer service then I will take that deal every time.

The durability aspect spoke to me as well.. now when I'm a 20 year fish killing pro and I'm laid up on the beach in all my riches I will probably do things a little different lol
Old 10-03-2018, 01:48 AM   #10
hydroid

I think you made the right choice on fiberglass and might just stay with them, more durable and there's a pile of folks out there using the Mako FG fins. No need to go to anything else.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Not to speak for him, but FG are a lot more durable in my opinion.
From the perspective of my freediving in shallow waters, even in rough seas in the surf, I have found carbon fiber to be strong enough. I know about some people who have broken fins. But again, there is people who can break cannon balls with a rubber mallet.

Maybe for rig diving heavily loaded (scuba gear) and doing what shouldn't be done with the fins (pushing on the structure or bottom with the fins), the FG might offer a slight benefit but... for any other application IMHO, carbon gives better performance. It is just more reactive, that is.

Anyway, if you are happy with your purchase, that's all that counts!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Habo

Thanks ATRAIN for starting this thread and for everyone's input.

I ordered My Mako Pro Fiberglass Fins Monday and got them today Friday. I was using Beauchat Plastics and I did a bunch of research too before deciding on these, including reading this and other threads. I also went to Neptonics to try their Fiberglass fins as well. There, the Neptonics 10-11 foot pocket was too tight even with a 2 mil sock and the 12-13 was too loose, even with a 3mil sock on top of a 2 mil sock. I am size 11.5 shoe and went with the Mako 10-11 foot pockets, as recommended by Brad at Mako. I admit I was leery and told him repeatedly I use 3 mil socks. He assured me they recommend the 10-11 for me. THEY FIT PERFECT with my 3 mil socks. Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks also to Brad and Mako.
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #13
A-Train

Just to give an update here. Been a year of diving with the Makos and they have been great. Holding up well footpockets are still pretty much flawless no chips or breaks on fins even though they have been tossed around the boat and drug through all types of structures and rigs with only minor scratches. I am very happy to say the least.