Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
jnicholson1437

Should the Goliath Grouper fishery be re-opened?

I am a videographer and editor for the PBS affiliate in Miami, Florida and we are launching a new series called "Changing Seas".
Our first episode "Super Grouper" is about the recovery of the Goliath Grouper.

Find out more about our series on www.ChangingSeas.tv and for more discussion on whether or not the fishery should be reopened please follow this link:

http://channel2.typepad.com/changing...-reopened.html
jnicholson1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Spear CR
yes-yes

Re: Should the Goliath Grouper fishery be re-opened?

Jeremy,

I read your article but did not get a distinct position (yours) on the subject.

I would think that until you do make a distinction about where you "stand" on the issue, your post may be construed only as bait and no one will be willing to comment for fear of retribution by the jewfish lovers.

Please do not make this sport and those who participate in it look bad.

Damn Barack, you sound like a broken record.
Spear CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
123Draw
Spearing Knight

I'm not sure why people would want to shoot the giant ones. But I would like to be able to shoot the delicious sized ones that could fit in the cooler on the boat. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a beautiful looking 40-50 # silhouette only to have it turn and see the rounded fin.
123Draw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Wakeeater86

the last two weekends ive seen i seen a dozen jewfish, big (300 pounds) to small (30 pounds when did they become protected?
Wakeeater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
CBP

for those of us out of the area can we see the episodes online ??
CBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Candy

Wakeeater86,

The Goliath Grouper has been protected for 19 years in Florida.

The Jewfish fishery was closed down as a reaction by the FWC from ONE letter of concern sent to the commission about the decline in Jewfish population.

There was no scientific historical data on the population of the species so they had no documentation on which to base their recovery goals.

As a result, the season for what is now called the Goliath Grouper, has been closed for 19 years. Despite the fact they haven't been fished for 19 years, the FWC still considers them to be overfished.

Many fishermen and divers report that when the Goliath Groupers move in, other recreationally targeted fish are removed by the GG's.

I live in the Panhandle and while we have GG's and see more and more every year, we are not over run with them...yet. It has been my observation that when a GG moves on a reef, they act like vaccume cleaners of the sea. They don't become 200+ lbs by eating crabs & lobsters in the panhandle, we don't have that many crabs or lobsters up here!

The complete closing of the Goliath fishery for 19 years should give recreational fishermen pause when the State and Federal Governments consider closing any fishery without substantial and reliable data as a basis for their decisions.

Do I think the Goliath Grouper fishery should be re-opened?

Yes, but only as a GAME FISH (open to recreational fishers only) with a closed season during spawning.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Some newbies will get killed shooting those groupers. Thats for sure.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Draw View Post
I'm not sure why people would want to shoot the giant ones.
I can't speak for everyone, but most who shoot the big ones of any species do it for one reason........for the bragging rights. Shooting the smaller ones to feed yourself, family and friends is what a true hunter might do. But it just does not look as good in a picture. I am sorry to admit it, but I include myself in both of the catagories. The hali in my avatar is evidence. I personally don't see a problem with it, as long as what you take is not illegal. And no matter what hunters do, they will somehow violate others ideal of hunting ethics. You just can't make everyone happy.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
Wakeeater86,

.....The Jewfish fishery was closed down as a reaction by the FWC from ONE letter of concern sent to the commission about the decline in Jewfish population. .
I didn't know that the FWC had that kind of geographic jurisdiction. That must have been a really persuasive letter. How do you know it was a single letter that did this? Do you have a copy of it or know who wrote it?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
BigMako
Keith Simmons

I'll say one thing about them. I go Lobstering around the Totugas every year, and I worry about a Goliath getting after my catch bag alot more than sharks. You can powerhead a shark. They are thick out there. And let's just say, aggressive and fearless.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Mighty KC

I saw one last year on a rig in 65 ft of water, I was freediving around it and spearing snapper. It didnt try to bother me or the fish I was shooting, but it wasnt very large, mabe 65lbs or so. I was glad to see one, havent seen one out of Dauphin Island in 20+ years
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
BigMako
Keith Simmons

Out of Dauphin Island there is one about 500 or so on the mailplane wreck. About 105fsw or so.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Ray Odor

This is the report I presented to the commission two years ago. Evidently they don't want any help, only justify thier own existance by unverified clorsuers.

Who’s eating your lunch?
Goliath Grouper???

17 plus years ago, the Goliath grouper was placed on the endangered species list.
This was deemed a good move, due to no regulations on catch, and restaurants buying them for pennies on the pound and selling them all the way from Key West to New York as Snapper fingers and Grouper filets. No one wants to see that condition exist again.
Time has marched on. The wreck or rock structure that once held one or two of these giants now is home to several dozen of them. The Goliath that weighed 250 pounds ten years ago has become a Giant of 400 to 500 pounds, requiring twice as much food. Likewise, the wrecks and rock structures that used to be teaming with Snapper, Grouper and Grunts, are sometimes almost barren, many sucked in by the giant vacuum machines. As a spear fisherman, I have many times had to race to a ‘free shafted’ fish to grab him before the Goliath did.
Most times he won. Not to sweat, there are still schools of Amberjack that frequent the wrecks. Watch out if you spear or catch one and he gets near the bottom, reel him fast as you can or get to your speared fish quickly or the big G will get him.
We have urged the fisheries commissions, both State and Federal, to come up with a plan to allow the taking of this food fish on a limited basis. Each time, we are told, “we have to do more research on the fishery”. How do you research a fishery if you have no samples coming out of the water? How would you examine stomach contents if you have no available stomach? How can you count the herd if you don’t go down where they live? We tell you there are hundreds of them and they devour crabs, lobster, grouper and all sorts of sea life, yet in the six years since the NMFC promised to take a hard look at it, little or nothing has been done.
I have made a schedule below to add a little impetus to your start.

1.Decide on a limited tag issue system, i.e. the Gator hunt or Lobster stamp.
.This would provide a control record for those targeting the species.
2. There would be no charge to the person requesting the tag, however, he/she would be required to sign a waiver that would indicate they must contact the specified scientist or marine biologist on reaching shore with their catch. The stomach contents could be taken by the contact or saved on ice for them to pick up.
The length, girth and estimated weight would be given to the contact, and, if possible, a picture. If the fisherman was a diver, the estimated size and number of the herd should be noted. Underwater pictures would be valued.
3. Tags should be evenly dispersed between divers and fishermen.
4. Tags should be dispersed in every portion of the state, so the stomach contents in one area would not be the determining criteria.

RAY ODOR

www.spearfishing.cc 813-971-3368
fishship@tampabay.rr.com
Fax 813-364 6367
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
ocean_hunter
One Lung

I say open them
ocean_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
albaguppy
Purple, I'll take purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Odor View Post
This is the report I presented to the commission two years ago. Evidently they don't want any help, only justify thier own existance by unverified clorsuers.

Who’s eating your lunch?
Goliath Grouper???

17 plus years ago, the Goliath grouper was placed on the endangered species list.
This was deemed a good move, due to no regulations on catch, and restaurants buying them for pennies on the pound and selling them all the way from Key West to New York as Snapper fingers and Grouper filets. No one wants to see that condition exist again.
Time has marched on. The wreck or rock structure that once held one or two of these giants now is home to several dozen of them. The Goliath that weighed 250 pounds ten years ago has become a Giant of 400 to 500 pounds, requiring twice as much food. Likewise, the wrecks and rock structures that used to be teaming with Snapper, Grouper and Grunts, are sometimes almost barren, many sucked in by the giant vacuum machines. As a spear fisherman, I have many times had to race to a ‘free shafted’ fish to grab him before the Goliath did.
Most times he won. Not to sweat, there are still schools of Amberjack that frequent the wrecks. Watch out if you spear or catch one and he gets near the bottom, reel him fast as you can or get to your speared fish quickly or the big G will get him.
We have urged the fisheries commissions, both State and Federal, to come up with a plan to allow the taking of this food fish on a limited basis. Each time, we are told, “we have to do more research on the fishery”. How do you research a fishery if you have no samples coming out of the water? How would you examine stomach contents if you have no available stomach? How can you count the herd if you don’t go down where they live? We tell you there are hundreds of them and they devour crabs, lobster, grouper and all sorts of sea life, yet in the six years since the NMFC promised to take a hard look at it, little or nothing has been done.
I have made a schedule below to add a little impetus to your start.

1.Decide on a limited tag issue system, i.e. the Gator hunt or Lobster stamp.
.This would provide a control record for those targeting the species.
2. There would be no charge to the person requesting the tag, however, he/she would be required to sign a waiver that would indicate they must contact the specified scientist or marine biologist on reaching shore with their catch. The stomach contents could be taken by the contact or saved on ice for them to pick up.
The length, girth and estimated weight would be given to the contact, and, if possible, a picture. If the fisherman was a diver, the estimated size and number of the herd should be noted. Underwater pictures would be valued.
3. Tags should be evenly dispersed between divers and fishermen.
4. Tags should be dispersed in every portion of the state, so the stomach contents in one area would not be the determining criteria.

RAY ODOR

www.spearfishing.cc 813-971-3368
fishship@tampabay.rr.com
Fax 813-364 6367

That was freakin brilliant.

One of the best temporary cures for pride and affectation is seasickness; a man who wants to vomit never puts on airs.
Josh Billings
albaguppy is offline   Reply With Quote