Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #46
DUCA2

Re: Super Cavitation Tip Shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
For rollerguns it is necessary to look at this thread.
https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread...agrams.107171/

The side pulley rollerguns multiply the band contraction rate under load by a factor of two, but the band tension into the wishbone is halved, so the number of bands have to be doubled for the spear to be powered with the same level of force. Under this "block and tackle" drive system the band contraction rate is slowed, so doubling the speed is not the multiplier users hope for unless more bands are added to the "band battery" and that is where the world of diminishing returns rears its ugly head. The inertia and drag of the split pulley drive system is only redeemed by having a gun configuration where the rubber mountain is removed from the top deck of the gun. It is just simple physics explored in the rollergun diagrams. A well balanced standard gun in terms of band power matched to the shaft will shoot as well as any more elaborate gun, but must be matched to the job. To shoot further and more accurately one needs a longer gun for the longer sighting radius and improved angular estimation of the target as the barrel in-line sighting or convergent line aiming are more easily judged. Reproducibility of shots and killing range are important as is the "armour" or body structure of the target. No point in hitting a fish if the shot bounces off, equally frustrating is turning the fish into a kite full of beans and zooming around on the line. This is why when you hunt different species and locations you need a brace of guns, i.e. the right tool for the job. Unfortunately at times you discover that you did not bring the right gun, but that is spearfishing.

Popgun Pete... En principio gracias por traducir.

Gracias por el enlace al foro , no lo conocia prometo leer temas interesantes para mi...toda información es poca.

No quiero utilizar este foro para debatir sobre fusiles, sistemas etc etc
pienso que para debatir "SUPERCAVITACION" todo esos conceptos tienen que estar superados ya.

Yo insisto en este tipo de fusil, porque es el único ( que yo conozco ) capaz de propulsar un trozo de metal a mas velocidad
que el propio elastómero , piston , muelle etc para el tema de " SUPERCAVITACION "

Para pescar que cada cual utilice lo que mejor piense y configure su fusil como mejor sepa ....eso seria otro tema.

yo puse un estudio sobre la velocidad de contracción de elastómeros para mejor entendimiento.

yo puse un vídeo explicativo con dos distancias una azul y una roja en una misma unidad de tiempo que demuestra el doble de velocidad ( inicial )

es lo que me interesa para el tema que nos ocupa..

Por supuesto yo se que la energía potencial elástica acumulada se dividirá por dos ( x2 ) mas para mi, en tema de supercavitacion no me preocupa...
puedo poner mas numero de gomas o reducir la masa de la varilla...

Yo puedo reducir la longitud de la varilla y su masa , poner el numero de gomas necesario para obtener una muy alta velocidad...

También tengo claro que no es un sistema IDEAL ....Que si un elastómero estirado al 400% puede alcanzar 45m/s cuando lo monte no voy alcanzar 90m/s
pero puede que 55 o 60/s puede que si....

Lo importante sera la forma de la punta
DUCA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #47
popgun pete

DUCA2
Translated from Spanish
Popgun Pete... In principle thank you for translating.

Thanks for the link to the forum, I knew I promise to read interesting topics for me... all information is little.

I don't want to use this forum to debate about rifles, systems etc etc.
I think to debate "SUPERCAVITACION " All those concepts have to be overcome already.

I insist on this type of rifle, because it is the only one (that I know) capable of propelling a piece of metal at more speed
That the elastomer itself, piston, dock etc for the theme of "SUPERCAVITACION " to fish that each use what best thinks and configure your rifle as best known.... that would be another topic.

I put a study on the speed of contraction of elastomers for better understanding.

I put an explanatory video with two distances a blue and a red one in the same time unit that shows the double speed (initial)

It is what interests me for the subject that concerns us..

Of course I know that the elastic potential energy accumulated will be divided by two (x2) more for me, on the subject of supercavitacion not worry me...
I can put more number of rubbers or reduce the mass of the rod...

I can reduce the length of the rod and its mass, put the number of rubbers needed to get a very high speed...

I also have clear that it is not an IDEAL system.... That if an elastomer stretched to 400% can reach 45mm/s when I mount it I will not reach 90mm/s
But maybe 55 or 60/s might if....

The important thing will be the shape of the tip
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #48
popgun pete

You really need to read the rollergun diagrams thread, but the summary diagram encapsulates most of it, although like many things the summary makes more sense once you read a book or magazine article;

Many years ago, in fact decades ago, a cable gun was created which stowed the rubber band battery inside the gun to hide the energy storage unit. The cable system was unreliable for jams and cables jumping off rollers, but lacked the modern materials we have today, particularly the cables such as dyneema, kevlar and spectra. Rubber quality has also improved so the energy storage can be greater.

Band contraction rate is not a constant and spear mass and drive system friction slow the rate down. Bands bending around rollers lose energy that was supplied by you during gun cocking, but has to be supplied from the gun's energy store when shooting, so more losses are involved. If the cables do the bending at rollers then less energy is consumed, particularly important when there are many changes of direction. The band battery needs stretch room on the gun body and one way to maximise that is to use as much gun length as possible, including the cocking stock.

Another way to gain stretch length accommodation is to use a “wiggler” storage system for the band batteries, but this is a very inefficient storage system as energy is lost with bands snaking around many rollers.

Finally the whole point of the exercise it to launch a fast moving and unavoidable projectile that will harpoon and kill or disable the fish. If we really want to kill then we use explosive or shock inducing heads which carry another energy source into the body of the target. Taken to extremes the sport of spearfishing then disappears and is replaced by something else, but I do not know what to call it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollergun band stretch.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	240894   Click image for larger version

Name:	vela 135 vs 4 band gunRR.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	240895   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollergun 14, twin cable gun X.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	240897   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollergun 6BX, reversed Z layout.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	240898   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollergun 14, twin cable gun CXR.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	240899  

Name:	rollergun 20, wiggler.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	240900  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #49
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

As an engineer, I see this idea as very difficult to achieve. Linear control is not that hard, e.g. a rocket propelled bullet thru the water that has nearly constant velocity. Trying to control a non-linear open control system(velocity varying) is extremely difficult. One can only hope for the desired effect over a short somewhat linear velocity range of the shaft's travel. Good luck. Standing by...still enjoying the conversation.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 12-16-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #50
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
As an engineer, I see this idea as very difficult to achieve. Linear control is not that hard, e.g. a rocket propelled bullet thru the water that has nearly constant velocity. Trying to control a non-linear open control system(velocity varying) is extremely difficult in the absence of feedback. One can only hope for the desired effect over a short linear velocity of the shaft. Good luck. Standing by...still enjoying the conversation.
If it was easy then it would be done already, however remember at most we are talking 30 feet maximum flight distance and usually only half that. The curiosity of fish brings about their undoing as well as their desire to eat, if we were shooting ducks on the wing then it would be an entirely different story. Super powerful guns such as the Alcedo “Sprint 62” can shoot 30 feet no problems, but are heavy to swim with and slow to load. Today even a second hand “Sprint 62” will cost $2.5K, thus we are looking for an edge in maybe the first 18 feet for a moderately powerful bandgun. A spear shaft being long is a stable projectile provided it leaves the gun without bending or wobbling. The Alcedo "Sprint 62" being dismantled is my own gun, so I know what they weigh and how bulky they are.

Used Alcedo "Sprint 62" for sale here
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/233045587604...m=233045587604
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alcedo Hydra Sprint comp NF.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	240912   Click image for larger version

Name:	HYDRA INSPECTION RR.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	240913  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-17-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added eBay listing
Old 12-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #51
Behslayer

If it's not too long, has no tail, has no sharkfins, and can spin, then it's not soooo hard.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #52
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
If it's not too long, has no tail, has no sharkfins, and can spin, then it's not soooo hard.
Well the hardest part is probably getting someone to try it, but in my correspondence with Russian speargun makers everyone has had the same idea, but are bogged down in theory and naysayers. The tips needs square cut grooves as I have illustrated and near the end of the tip. A reverse cone hollow tip would provide a vortex generator, but we need a point to shear through the meat, unlike a bullet where a “dum dum” round can kill as velocity there is orders of magnitude greater than with a spear. Bullets tumble in fluid and the cavitation bubble is to stabilize their flight, with spears we don't have to worry about that.

As I see it the spear can be its usual length and the tip needs to be slightly larger in diameter than the shaft body as I have also shown in the drawings. The speed cones used to place floppers in the flow shadow of those cones would also be used or the tip head could provide that function. It will be important that the tip head screw on straight with respect to the shaft, but that is the case with removable tips anyway.

Russian spearfisherman DracoZur has proposed a variable reverse cone shape for discussion, it is show below in a sketch.
http://garpun.spb.ru/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

http://www.cneat.ru/bullet.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avitation tip.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	240914   Click image for larger version

Name:	dragozur tip.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	240915  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-17-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added reference
Old 12-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
Marcus

I think one would have a better chance at creating the cavitation much like the bullet with air coming out of the tip. Use a pneumatic that charges the spear thru a port on the rear when seated. There would be an actuator that opens/closes a small ball valve for the front port upon firing/loading.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #54
popgun pete

Another of the US Navy's patents for this topic is a telescoping cavitator shown below. The common theme is a discontinuous edge that acts as a vortex generator, the exact opposite of curved contours that match streamline flow for laminar flow of the fluid against the surface of a projectile moving through that fluid at velocity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Super Cavitaror telescopic tip.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	240916  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #55
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I think one would have a better chance at creating the cavitation much like the bullet with air coming out of the tip. Use a pneumatic that charges the spear thru a port on the rear when seated. There would be an actuator that opens/closes a small ball valve for the front port upon firing/loading.
Actually some years ago there was a Croatian patent for a tubular spear that was charged up with carbon dioxide gas via a supply in the band gun that it was to be used in, the concept being that after being launched by the band the spear would be rocket propelled by the escaping gas at the rear end after that initial launch. Nothing more was heard of it!

We need to keep it simple, any nose mounted port will be jammed with tissue or sand, grit, etc, if we miss. Unlike military projectiles spears get used again and again, so the equipment needs to be rugged. Tips can be expendable, but I would want more than one shot out of them. If I wanted one shot tips then I would be using the .222 tips that I have used in the past.

New version with cone added to provide flow "shadow" for flopper on the shaft. Also non pencil tip version with flutes on tip or a tri or quad cut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	replaceable tip super cavitation shaft XZ.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	240917   Click image for larger version

Name:	replaceable tip super cavitation shaft XZZ.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	240918  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-18-2018 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added new version
Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #56
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
We need to keep it simple, any nose mounted valve will be jammed with tissue or sand, grit, etc, if we miss. Unlike military projectiles spears get used again and again, so the equipment needs to be rugged. Tips can be expendable, but I would want more than one shot out of them. If I wanted one shot tips then I would be using the .222 tips that I have used in the past.
Nay sayer.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #57
popgun pete

The idea here is to keep it simple, standard spear shaft with an integral flopper and a replaceable ring grooved tip which can have different case hardened points. If you smash the tip into a rock then you replace it with another tip, the benefit expected is improved flight time in the critical first section of spear travel. As shots rarely go beyond 30 feet underwater, and are often around 15 feet off the tip, then any gain would be worthwhile and you don't whittle down your integral tip shafts through repeated re-pointing on the workshop bench grinder.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #58
popgun pete

I note that the "CAV-X" ammo article was interested in the round being used in one of these, something for under the Christmas tree this year! MICOR Defense Leader 50 Ultra-Compact, Lightweight Bullpup Semi-Auto .50 BMG (12.7x99mm NATO) Sniper/Anti-Materiel Rifle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sniper rifle.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	240921  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 AM   #59
popgun pete

Here is a spear with a replaceable tip made for a full titanium body Zelinka gun (i.e. Zelinsky system, sliding inner barrel valve operation for shooting and adjustable power).https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Titanium...IAAOSwS7Na0gMi

This is the type of spear that could be used to evaluate circumferential tip grooving and the titanium gun shown here should have the necessary horsepower for shooting it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	etelis spear tip.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	241288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Etelis 950.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	241289  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
popgun pete

Another variation with flopper retainers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	double flopper cavitation point pivot ring keeper sketch 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	242945