Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #16
Bob Ballew

Re: Some Thoughts on Financial Survival

You misconstrued my comparisons, so, I am making a slight change in order to clarify things.."The current situation is most similar to the 1918 flu pandemic"....The stock market reacts emotionally to current events, irregardless of what stats are used to bolster your arguments...The 1929 crash was a totally separate issue. By 1933, almost all stocks were worthless, hundreds of banks went under and jobs dried up...Soup lines dotted the landscape and it was a depression, not a recession. Due to slow government action and the lack of a drug to stop the spread of the virus, today, some fear over a depression is warrented...fear is a good thing...it prompts us to take action...But, each person has to decide what direction to take...or, not...……………...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-11-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
dctrjayyy

or just go to the Neptune's Auction on April 1st at Me N Ed's and buy more spearfishing gear at great prices!
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #18
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
You misconstrued my comparisons, so, I am making a slight change in order to clarify things.."The current situation is most similar to the 1918 flu pandemic"....The stock market reacts emotionally to current events, irregardless of what stats are used to bolster your arguments...The 1929 crash was a totally separate issue. By 1933, almost all stocks were worthless, hundreds of banks went under and jobs dried up...Soup lines dotted the landscape and it was a depression, not a recession. Due to slow government action and the lack of a drug to stop the spread of the virus, today, some fear over a depression is warrented...fear is a good thing...it prompts us to take action...But, each person has to decide what direction to take...or, not......
Fear over a depression is not warranted. This is not a big enough thing to cause a depression. The media was very muted and nonplussed over the epidemics under the Obama administration's watch. They are hysterical under Trumps watch. The truth will come out soon enough, and then they will move on to something else to try and undermine Trump in order to defeat him in November.

Russian collusion, impeachment over Ukraine phone call, Corona Virus...when one gambit fails, they try another. Y'all are being whipped up into a frenzy over a relatively small event.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #19
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrjayyy View Post
or just go to the Neptune's Auction on April 1st at Me N Ed's and buy more spearfishing gear at great prices!
I endorse this message!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #20
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Fear over a depression is not warranted. This is not a big enough thing to cause a depression. The media was very muted and nonplussed over the epidemics under the Obama administration's watch. They are hysterical under Trumps watch. The truth will come out soon enough, and then they will move on to something else to try and undermine Trump in order to defeat him in November.

Russian collusion, impeachment over Ukraine phone call, Corona Virus...when one gambit fails, they try another. Y'all are being whipped up into a frenzy over a relatively small event.
Said the ostrich with his head in the sand...
But if you pay attention to World news:

60% to 70% of the German population will be infected by the coronavirus, Merkel says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/ange...ronavirus.html

Then there is the news from italy...

Yup..the Whole World is nothing but Fake News.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #21
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Said the ostrich with his head in the sand...
But if you pay attention to World news:

60% to 70% of the German population will be infected by the coronavirus, Merkel says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/ange...ronavirus.html

Then there is the news from italy...

Yup..the Whole World is nothing but Fake News.
Says the ostrich with his head in the sand about the existence of God, the Day of Judgement, the reality of heaven and hell, and the fact that he is unprepared for it all at 72 years of age.

97% of the people who get this virus recover. It has a low fatality rate, and the deaths are occurring primarily among the elderly and smokers.

The ordinary flu kills between 50,000 to 100,000 people a year and no one bats an eye. Doesn't even merit a mention in the news.

This thing is a nothing burger as to its long term effect on the stock market. Just ride it out.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
... the existence of God, the Day of Judgement, the reality of heaven and hell,
That's funny. You are hoping for "Eternal Life", have you ever stopped to contemplate ETERNITY? Can you begin to contemplate "living" for millions upon MILLIONS of years, and never scratching the surface of "Eternity"!
Eternal Life...now THAT would be called HELL!
Old 03-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
Narced_up

Wait.. so your saying I have to watch out for Makos now too when spearfishing Catalina

Guess no more stringing fish to myself at Catalina
Narced_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #24
Bob Ballew

Well, irregardless of your viewpoints, today, the situation was re-classified as a pandemic...I estimate we have a month to 2 months to make whatever move we plan to make to cope...Me, I just put a buy order in for Ford if it drops below $5 a share...Last recession, I bought Ford at below $5 and later sold it for $19, a 400 percent profit. We are still pulling out cash for three reasons..To protect our assets if things collapse across the world; to refi at a lower rate, reducing payments while pulling out cash, and to make profitable investments if things move back toward normal...Either way, we will come out ok...unless we are all dead...

My question is, if I go to heaven, will I still have to hang out with people I didn't like, even when they were on earth???

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-11-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #25
jfjf

This whole virus thing is made up by democrats. It's all fake, support Trump. The economy is great, the consumer is strong. Nothing to fear. Americans are a brave and resilient people who will stick together and support each other. There will be no civil unrest, no shortages, no violence; Trump will protect us and make sure of that.

Don't look at any of the fake news from overseas, all those countries hate Trump and they just make this up to scare Americans.

Whose going to the next trump rally?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #26
swanny

MAGAKAG down for attending a TRUMP rally!
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #27
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
This whole virus thing is made up by democrats. It's all fake, support Trump. The economy is great, the consumer is strong. Nothing to fear. Americans are a brave and resilient people who will stick together and support each other. There will be no civil unrest, no shortages, no violence; Trump will protect us and make sure of that.

Don't look at any of the fake news from overseas, all those countries hate Trump and they just make this up to scare Americans.

Whose going to the next trump rally?
"I have a HUNCH it will all go away, Magically, in the Spring...
Oh...and you Probably wont die!"
Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #28
Bob Ballew

...If you are new to investing in stocks...try to invest in older companies with a long term track record...(Three out of four new companies go out of business within 3 years and some are nothing more than a shell to pump up the stock, they sell it all and walk away leaving investers with worthless stocks)...next, invest in companies that pay a dividend...i.e. Ford, Bank of America, etc. Dividends may drop currently, but, they will go back up eventually, providing a return irregardless of whether the market goes up or down...invest for the long term as a supplement to income producing real estate and Roth IRA accounts (you do have one, don't you?)..We do our stock investing thru a Roth IRA account at TDAmeritrade. They don't charge a commission when you buy or sell stocks.. On drawing it out on retirement, you won't own any federal taxes on whatever profits you make from a Roth. A standard IRA account has tax consequences on the tail end...something to avoid..
...See it as building a secure chair with each type of investment as another leg to your chair...one leg is your job...lose it and your chair falls....Build six legs of investment chair and you will be financially secure thru the ups and downs of life...

Five minutes ago, the President went on tv to announce that all travel from Europe is suspended for 30 days (only 30 days, we hope)...additionally, it looks like he is finally taking the virus seriously. Numerous other actions were announced. Tomorrow, I expect the stock market to go into free fall...we will see..At this rate, I may be able to buy Ford for $4 a share.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-11-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #29
mikelb

I'll go with Marcus for a thousand. This is Jeopardy, right? Fed policy at its limit.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #30
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Five minutes ago, the President went on tv to announce that all travel from Europe is suspended for 30 days (only 30 days, we hope).......

He looked incredibly bad. Seriously, he looked sick or like he was super nervous or something. It was shocking really- he was just reading a teleprompter and seemed to have trouble with his breathing. I wonder if his staff has finally stood up to him and demanded that he stop spouting bullshit and acknowledge the shit has hit the fan. Possibly the adults in the room have finally stood up to his delusional fantasy that we are doing a good job.

If he had done something, a week ago, things would be far, far different. People are completely unprepared for how fast this pandemic is going to spread in the US.

Literally, 3-4 days ago two members of his staff said it was controlled. Cudlow and the skinny blond b... -- Kelly ann? The incompetence of the administration is being exemplified and it will translate to deaths.

I firmly believe that by April Fool's day this situation will be out of hand. I hope I am wrong. I don't think I will be putting money into this market for a while. Wish I sold more.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote