Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Question Laguna Legacy 2?

I wanted to get some input from Sb members on a date to hold the Laguna Legacy 2 tournament. Keep in mind looming closures. This tournament will be awesome, last year we had 40 participants and since this is most likely the last tourney Laguna will see in long time we hope to see that number double.

Thanks for the help.

Fernando Gutierrez
Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
freeride
Joe

Re: Laguna Legacy 2?

I just want to be able to use a boat, and fishfinder, and gps, and maybe a little dynamite
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

I like the boat idea, I am pretty sure we will include boat divers in this years tournament.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
freeride
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernie8884 View Post
I like the boat idea, I am pretty sure we will include boat divers in this years tournament.
Nice! I'll run it right up on the beach at Aliso "Panga Style"
I think May is a great month to have your tourny, the water has warmed some and all of the fish should be around in force. It would be nice to see some pelagics get weighed in. I have no idea what the timeline is for the closures??
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Chris Oak
the ghost

You guys still have a bit of time, I think the closures won't go into effect until the end of the year or more likely 2012. Check with the fathomiers, neptunes, sd freedivers etc calendars and make sure it doesn't conflict with anything they've already planned.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
Sean E
Is it paddy time yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Nice! I'll run it right up on the beach at Aliso "Panga Style"
I think May is a great month to have your tourny, the water has warmed some and all of the fish should be around in force. It would be nice to see some pelagics get weighed in. I have no idea what the timeline is for the closures??
I'll join if I can go on Joe's boat for the tourney...
Sean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oak View Post
You guys still have a bit of time, I think the closures won't go into effect until the end of the year or more likely 2012. Check with the fathomiers, neptunes, sd freedivers etc calendars and make sure it doesn't conflict with anything they've already planned.
Sounds good, I have a print out of all the clubs events and May is looking pretty good.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
Freedive4life
Living the life

That would be super fun. I'm sure I wouldn't win, but I would have a hell of a time. Start talking to some sponsors and see what they can do. Maybe some local dive shops, or some smaller companies would like to get their gear out to the public and have a good rep.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedive4life View Post
That would be super fun. I'm sure I wouldn't win, but I would have a hell of a time. Start talking to some sponsors and see what they can do. Maybe some local dive shops, or some smaller companies would like to get their gear out to the public and have a good rep.
Last year we had tons of awesome prizes, this year should be even better. The raffle was real fun.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
I really don't understand where everyone is getting this 2012 or end of 2011 stuff from. The DFG sent out a news release back in December 15, 2010 that said...

"The south coast MPA regulations are anticipated to go into effect in mid 2011 after appropriate filings with the Office of Administrative Law and the Secretary of State."

They also posted that date here in bold face print

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/southcoast.asp
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
Chris Oak
the ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
I really don't understand where everyone is getting this 2012 or end of 2011 stuff from. The DFG sent out a news release back in December 15, 2010 that said...

"The south coast MPA regulations are anticipated to go into effect in mid 2011 after appropriate filings with the Office of Administrative Law and the Secretary of State."
Originally the plans were supposed to be done by october, they got pushed back to now. There should be legal battles going on soon, then they still have to print up docs, signs, and more than likely bouys. What I heard was that it would be in effect by the end of this year but not enforced until next year to give the public time to learn about the closures.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
Freedive4life
Living the life

Quote:

Key word
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally the plans were supposed to be done by october, they got pushed back to now. There should be legal battles going on soon, then they still have to print up docs, signs, and more than likely bouys. What I heard was that it would be in effect by the end of this year but not enforced until next year to give the public time to learn about the closures.
What did the north coast do when the MLPA zones went into effect up there? Was there an extended time before the closures were enforced up there?

If not then can you show me some written documentation that says enforcement will be delayed until the end of the year?

I'd rather not have to rely on a rumors or hope.

By the way that is a massive lobster in you avatar! Congrats if that's new~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedive4life View Post
Key word
lol you're just not much of a thinker are you? Mid 2011 would be the latest you would want to have the event. If you planned it later than that you would be running the risk of scheduling the event after the closure date. Of course if you got all the work done for this event now you could move the date around. I'm just worried about this event getting scheduled for, let's say end of 2011 and then by mid 2011 we find out the closures will go into effect in a few weeks. Then we're boned on getting everything together in time.

I just don't want to see this event get jeopardized by bad scheduling.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
Chris Oak
the ghost

Quote:
lol you're just not much of a thinker are you? Mid 2011 is the latest you would want to have the event. If you planned it later than that you would be running the risk of it being closed then.

What did the north coast do when the MLPA zones went into effect up there? Was there an extended time before the closures were enforced up there?

If not then can you show me some written documentation that says enforcement will be delayed until the end of the year?

I just don't want to see this event get jeopardized by bad scheduling.

No written document, but there's no written document stating that for sure the regs will be enforced at the end of this year either. I get a lot of info second hand but it usually is pretty fruitful. At any rate, if the regs get enforced early (they are shooting for may, it's already february, I highly doubt that they could start enforcement in may) couldn't the event be retitled and moved to another location?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
Freedive4life
Living the life

Quote:
lol you're just not much of a thinker are you? Mid 2011 would be the latest you would want to have the event. If you planned it later than that you would be running the risk of scheduling the event after the closure date. Of course if you got all the work done for this event now you could move the date around. I'm just worried about this event getting scheduled for, let's say end of 2011 and then by mid 2011 we find out the closures will go into effect in a few weeks. Then we're boned on getting everything together in time.
With the current lawsuits that are going on right now, chances are it wont be closed for a matter of years! Politics take time. Shit doesn't happen in a matter of days, or hell even months. Its going to take a hell of a long time for this to go into affect. Now wait before you reply, and make it something that has a decent amount of thought put into it, not just some ignorant, uninformed post.