Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #46
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

Re: Can you kill a Coyote with a .177 pellet with a well placed shot to the head???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Well obviously the air gun did the trick, but I'm curious as to why you chose the air gun over a bow? I'm just wondering because I recently started shooting a bow regularly again and wondered about it's effectiveness for such situations.
Thanks,
Ron.
I'm sure a bow would be good but first off I would need to buy a bow which I didn't have. Second I don't have any bow skills and would have to go out of my way to learn it. Also I am a little hesitant to shoot such a powerful weapon in the area I needed to.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #47
Ron S

Re: Can you kill a Coyote with a .177 pellet with a well placed shot to the head???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingspear View Post
I'm sure a bow would be good but first off I would need to buy a bow which I didn't have. Second I don't have any bow skills and would have to go out of my way to learn it. Also I am a little hesitant to shoot such a powerful weapon in the area I needed to.
Oh sorry. I thought because you mentioned bow vs. airgun that you were an archer. I've found a bow to be pretty effective if used correctly, but man it would turn ugly with the neighbors to have a yote come running from your yard with an arrow through it. A couple years ago a deer wandered into my neighborhood with an arrow in it. It was bow season, and could easily have been shot legally, but boy folks got upset. 20 years ago it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, but not anymore...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #48
Prater

Kingspear, what scope do you suggest? I was thinking of replacing the BSA Scope on my Gamo 440 Hunter with an extra Bushnell 3-9x40 that I have in the safe. I just dont know if it would stand up to the spring or not.

Thanks for the suggestion of the trigger. I went ahead and ordered one, but that spring is too expensive at the moment. I will wait until i need to replace the metal spring in the gun first...
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #49
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

The trigger and scope are the biggest thing the air ram is really not needed. On the bushnel I'm not to sure but I would call the manufacture and ask. Springers eat scopes unlike any other gun because of the unique reverse recoil so make sure that it is airgun rated. Leapers and centerpoint are nice scopes in my opinion.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #50
Sherpa

Niiiice shot placement-! Absolutely fricken excellent..........

Noticed you're in San Diego..... My sister lives in Rancho Santa Fe. They
lost their pet Dog "Angel" a 5-6 year old poodle to a coyote one nite. those
bastards will tease pets so they'll come out thinking the dog will chase off
the "other" animal........ well, one nite it accidently happened. My sister's
dog ran out, and that was the last time.... Her husband found the dogs body,
minus the stuff the coyote ate.......

she was devastated, I was pissed...... I told her let me come down to visit
and I'll bring a coupe rifles and I'll kill all of them...... she declined, insisting
the neighbors would freak.... Which I wouldn't frcken cared anyway....

I hate coyotes.....

I love the .17 caliber myself.... great, fast, flat shooting out to about 150
yards..... definite tack driver.... kinda quiet, considering.....

--Sherpa
Old 11-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #51
keezdiver
Resident Fish Biologist

Send a message via AIM to keezdiver

i think you misread his story...

"GAMO Whisper Air Rifle"

not the .17cal WMR varmit riffle.

significant difference.
Accepting donations of beer, food, gas or numbers...for a ride
I'm a car fanatic...my web page with pics
keezdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #52
MagicMike
Mike Pearson

Nice shot man.
To bad you can't get your hands on one of these.
Ruger 77/22 with OTB suppressor. Whispering death.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SD.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	88320  
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #53
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Bad ass!! Growing up before these new technology pellet guns, I'd asked you "how many pumps"
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
patrick
president

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezdiver View Post
i think you misread his story...

"GAMO Whisper Air Rifle"

not the .17cal WMR varmit riffle.

significant difference.
and the .17Hmr is even another caliber altogether!
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #55
Sherpa

No, I didn't misread.

I meant I like the .17 caliber.........

for airguns, I still have my very old .22 airgun.......

--Sherpa
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #56
samy5movies

Angry Re: Can you kill a Coyote with a .177 pellet with a well placed shot to the head???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingspear View Post
Well I was told many a time it couldn't be done but I knew it could and I did. Shot was from 25yards with my GAMO Whisper Air Rifle with Centerpoint scope. I was shooting a Predator Polymag pellet .177 (best pellet in the world in my opinion). I shot him right between the eyes as you can see in the photos (sorry they are camera photos so not so crisp). I must say that I do not by any means recommend hunting Coyotes with a .177 air rifle as most shots will not be perfect and just hurt and leave them to die slow. In my case I had no other choice because of the area where this Coyote resided is very urban in close proximity to neighbors. This also was not a hunt, it had nothing to do with sportsmanship. All it had to do with was exterminating a problem. I have been after this Coyote for about 3 months and the only reason I killed him was because he killed a loyal family dog and I wasn't going to let that one slide. When he killed Puffy (our dog) my sister and neighbors said it sounded like a a person being killed from him screaming in pain so I was upset to say the least escpecially since Puffy's death was very long and painful. Puffy was killed at 9AM full on day while I was at work while he was playing in our fenced back yard. I also didn't want it to happen again to our other dog. The only reason I am saying this is because I want to make it a point not to encourage hunting coyote's with air rifles and to show my reason for doing it. I also felt in my situation an Air Rifle was better than a bow. Oh and before some coyote lovers come and harrass me and say I should've called the humain society, I did, they told me to shout and throw rocks at it if it came around, lame.

Well today I was able to put the coyote to rest and I shot him right between the eyes and he dropped like a ton of bricks without a twitch. He was a nice big healthy male. I'm sure he was living good eating backyard pets.
Do I need a permit to kill a coyote?, I live in Placentia, CA. that stupid coyote killed my daughter's french puddle and left an orphan. it happen during the weekend I guess around 3 or 4 am, and we arrived around 5PM, MY daughter was horrified screaming all around the house for "Layla" her dog. I just want to take this yote out of bussines in my urban neighborhood in Placentia Califonria.
I don't want to spend to much in firearm rifles but a good BB gun to do something about it. I don't know anything about BB guns I used to have a real shotgun but it was 35 years ago. Gamo Varmint Hunter 1200 fps .177 cal Tactical Air Rifle w/Scope, Laser, & Light is it good enough? What brand would be the best. Please advise, thanks
samy5movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #57
Postmortem
Eric

Props bro
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #58
Freedive4life
Living the life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
Niiiice shot placement-! Absolutely fricken excellent..........

Noticed you're in San Diego..... My sister lives in Rancho Santa Fe. They
lost their pet Dog "Angel" a 5-6 year old poodle to a coyote one nite. those
bastards will tease pets so they'll come out thinking the dog will chase off
the "other" animal........ well, one nite it accidently happened. My sister's
dog ran out, and that was the last time.... Her husband found the dogs body,
minus the stuff the coyote ate.......

she was devastated, I was pissed...... I told her let me come down to visit
and I'll bring a coupe rifles and I'll kill all of them...... she declined, insisting
the neighbors would freak.... Which I wouldn't frcken cared anyway....

I hate coyotes.....

I love the .17 caliber myself.... great, fast, flat shooting out to about 150
yards..... definite tack driver.... kinda quiet, considering.....

--Sherpa
I have 2 pitbulls that are yoked out of their minds, and have fought with Coyotes in the desert before. The coyotes will call them out, usually in small packs of 3 or 4(Thats how many I saw), and then attack once they are out. Those coyotes were shit outta luck when these 2 dogs came running out. It was 3 on 2, and the yotes got their asses handed to them. My dogs came back SOAKED in blood, but didn't have any wounds on them. Obviously those Yotes didn't live very long after that.

Maybe it's time to invest in a big dog.