Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
ClaudioSub73
~~><((((0> ~~><((((0>

Pictorial: C4 Trigger Mechanism Maintenance

Hi folks,

Here's a tutorial on how to maintain the C4 trigger mechanism.

Required tools: grease solvent, white lithium grease, 1 phillips head and 1 flat head screwdriver, 1 brush.

Step 1: Remove the 4 screws that secure the trigger mechanism to the carbon body of the gun.

Step 2: Use the flat screwdriver head to carefully dislodge the trigger mechanism case from the slot without damaging the carbon. The case will be snugly lodged in the slot as the tolerances are minimal. It helps to apply Silicone spray at the case edges to more easy dislodge it.

Step 3: Once the case is out, the first pin that must be removed is one on the top right of the case. This is the pin that hold the main component of the mechanism. Push the pin to remove it.

Step 4: After the top pin is out, use the flat screwdriver to raise the main spring of the mechanism. The top component of the mechanism will slide right out.

Below is how the main mechanism component looked after 2 years of use... the surface rust comes the spring steel South African shaft I was using. I have since changed to a SS Mori shaft.

Below is how the shaft locks to the mechanism... notice the pivoting sear. Italian engineering at its finest and one of the reasons why the C4 trigger is so smooth.

Note: Before moving to the next step, take a good photo and make mental notes of how the trigger spring and titanium trigger are arranged against the main spring of the mechanism before removing them.

Step 5: Remove pin that holds the trigger and it's spring to the case. These components will slide right out. Then remove the main spring from the case by sliding the last pin.

Step 6: Clean all of the components with a brush and the a grease solvent. I used Liftoff Adhesive/Grease/Oily Stains Remover bought from Home Depot.

Below is the photo of the components already cleaned and ready for re-greasing and reassembly:

Here is a closer look at the polished main component. One word to describe how it feels in my hand... solid.

Below is another photo where you see the in the wheel bearing that interacts with the trigger (by my thumb)... another reason why the mechanism is so smooth.

Below is a photo of the main trigger component lubed with a fresh coat of white Lithium grease (also bought from Home Depot):

Step 7: Reassemble the mechanism in reverse order. Main spring goes first, its pin, then trigger spring and trigger and their pin.

Then, lift the main spring again to slide the main mechanism back in place and attach its pin. Because it will be under tension from the main spring, you will need to wiggle it around until it is in the exact position for the last pin to go in.

Below is a photo of the reassembled mechanism. One important note, very little if any grease is needed around the springs of the mechanism. Too much grease will interfere with the trigger action and make it feel sluggish.

Another close-up of reassembled mechanism (this one with springs free from too much grease):

From here on all that is to lube the sides of the assembled case, slide it to the slot in the gun (some light tapping with the wood handle of a hammer may be needed) and screw it in place.

Cheers,
Claudio

Last edited by ClaudioSub73; 08-23-2011 at 12:13 PM.
ClaudioSub73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

Re: Pictorial: C4 Trigger Mechanism Maintenance

Hi Cloudio .. Thanks for posting this
That looks like allot of work ... Can I just mail you
My Mr. Carbon and have you lube it for me

Joe
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
popgun pete

Thanks for the great photo sequence. I have never seen inside one of these C4 guns before. I always wondered how the always engaged or momentary action trigger and sear lever allowed the spear tail to enter the mech without pulling the trigger, but now I see the upper transverse pin, which is the sear "tooth", rocks back and downwards to let the shaft's tail end pass over the top of it before the "tooth" pops back up again to catch in the shaft tail notch. I guess that if you pull the trigger with the gun not banded up then you have to yank the shaft out as the springs do not appear to provide a "dry fire" action, the front spring biasing the trigger against the trigger pull direction and the rear spring holding the sear lever up as well as tilting the sear tooth rocker assembly up and forwards on the pivot in the sear lever body.

When you levered the cassette up and out the trigger looks like it rotated forwards at the bottom end, so does a step in the gun body normally keep the trigger vertical when the cassette is installed in the gun, against the action of the trigger biasing spring?
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
ClaudioSub73
~~><((((0> ~~><((((0>

Hi Joe, if it is a 119, I may not return it to you for a while as I would like to "test" that size .

Pete, you are correct to deduce that one has to press the trigger and yank the shaft to remove it. And correct again, there is a step in the gun body that keeps the trigger more vertical when the cassette is installed. There is also a small screw in the gun's body, next to the line release, that allows the user to further adjust the position of the trigger.

Last edited by ClaudioSub73; 09-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Very nice! I'm sure others who have C4s can appreciate this info very much.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudioSub73 View Post
Hi Joe, if it is a 119, I may not return it to you for a while as I would like to "test" that size .

Pete, you are correct to deduce that one has to to pull the trigger and yank the shaft to remove it. And correct again, there is a step in the gun body that keeps the trigger more vertical when the cassette is installed. There is also a small screw in the gun's body, next to the line release, that allows the user to further adjust the position of the trigger.
Claudio, thanks for answering those questions. The parts are very well made and are certainly compact, necessary in such a low profile rear handle speargun where there is not much space to work with.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Jason Williams
Half Assed Astronaut

If I haven't already, let me thank you Claudio for that pictorial. Just tuned up my 104cm with confidence I'd get it back together!
Jason Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
ClaudioSub73
~~><((((0> ~~><((((0>

Hi Jason,

Good to know this post helped you! What Mr. Iron are you using the most often nowadays, the 79 or the 104?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Jason Williams
Half Assed Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudioSub73 View Post
Hi Jason,

Good to know this post helped you! What Mr. Iron are you using the most often nowadays, the 79 or the 104?

Hey Claudio,
Been using my new 94cm Mr. Iron the most!
Now I need the 119cm!
Heard you got a Graphite, how are you liking it?
Jason Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
ClaudioSub73
~~><((((0> ~~><((((0>

I see you caught the C4 bug too... nice!

I'm extremely happy with the Graphite 116. Almost as maneuverable as a Mr. Iron 119 but with more power to handle 7mm shafts and easily penetrate the larger stripers.

Here is a photo of it's new anatomic handle, which I covered with 3 layers of bicycle inner tubes for additional grip:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	175797  

Last edited by ClaudioSub73; 07-24-2012 at 11:26 PM.