Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #16
Timinator

Re: If it Sounds Too Gooood to be True....

Not "dude", that made me laugh. Yea, the indestructible youth/Youtube generation always giving us advise. We'll see if they're around when they're 60 to give us an update.

Personally, I have had crappy luck with every Otima battery I've owned, which has been three. They seem to be fine when they don't have any phantom load on them, but once they've dropped in voltage down to 12.2 volts or so, they never come back all the way and fail a couple of years. I've had them in two race cars and one exotic. I use AGM batteries now in my solar hunting cabin. Expensive but work horses. COSTCO's batteries have been failing prematurely now for the last 5 years. I had one fail at 15 months. It was guaranteed for 12 and was pretty much told by the Auto manager guy to piss off. I talked to the store manager and got it replaced though. Was the worst experience at COSTCO I've had since shopping there sine 1987. So, now I set my google calendar for 11 months and am going to go back in an exchange the battery for a new one before the warranty wears off. Not something I'm proud of at all, and have ever done before, but they're forcing my hand and if enough of these come back maybe they'll start carrying a better brand of deep cycle battery.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #17
Bob Ballew

...Thanks guys, for the advice on batteries...after weighing the cost of standard wet batteries (Group 27 for $90 at Costco and Sams vs. AGM sealed batteries ($250-$300 most stores), I found some highly rated group 31 Duracell AGM deep cell batteries at Sams for $180, splitting the difference. They are rated high enough for (dual use) starting and for house accessories, like a bait tank and anchoring lights overnite... If they last 3 years, I will be a happy camper....
... My research indicated a lot of the expensive brand AGM's had mixed reviews all over the place. Price not being a key component of long life reliability... Key is keeping them fully charged with a good 3 stage charger/maintainer rated for AGM use. I bought a Schumacher microprocessor controlled charger (model SC1280) for $45 + tax at Walmart....rated 4.5 stars by users... now, where can I find a tuna? I want to spear a tuna....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-11-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #18
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Call b.s. all you want, but, we are talking about big sharks that can do you in, not the paltry bull sharks hanging off every beach in Florida....Most of my diving friends have never encountered a big shark during their diving careers, whether commercial or sport diving.....true, most CA divers see leopard sharks, horned sharks and an occasional soupfin, but, they don't pose any threat...My statement is about encountering the jumbo size stuff, like makos and great whites;, and, perhaps a big hammerhead during warm water years...But, times are changing and more great whites are showing up in our waters, hence, the need for new guys to learn where not to dive and what to do if it happens...and, that is not b.s.….

To correct the error of my ways, I have most humbly changed my statement to cover CA and "big"....
Hey Dude, you posted a STUPID comment, and I called you on it..now you walk it back, so far so good, except now you double down and make it an IGNORANT comment..
Quote:
sharks that can do you in, not the paltry bull sharks hanging off every beach in Florida...
Bull sharks are in the top Three most dangerous sharks in the World.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/258807...gerous-sharks/

"The Florida Museum of Natural History created a list of the shark species that have attacked humans the most, dating back to 1580.
According to the list, there have been 27 fatal attacks from bull sharks and 80 from great white sharks.
The list also found that tiger sharks had caused 31 deaths over the years, making them the second deadliest.
Although great white sharks have a bad reputation for human attacks, many experts actually consider bull sharks to be the most dangerous species as whole."

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...es-implicated/

"The white, tiger and bull sharks are the “Big Three” in the shark attack world because they are large species that are capable of inflicting serious injuries to a victim, are commonly found in areas where humans enter the water, and have teeth designed to shear rather than hold."

Last edited by SEATUX; 08-12-2018 at 01:48 PM.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
Bob Ballew

When a guy starts a comment with, "dude" and does the ego thing, I assume I am dealing with a juvenile of our species.....But, on closer examination, it appears that it is just one old fart vs. another old fart...ok, where did I put my popcorn?...

Now,let me make it clear: There is only room for one asshole philosopher on this board and that is me!~
Old 08-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #20
SEATUX

Quote:
When a guy starts a comment with, "dude" and does the ego thing, I assume I am dealing with a juvenile of our species.....But, on closer examination, it appears that it is just one old fart vs. another old fart...ok, where did I put my popcorn?...

Now,let me make it clear: There is only room for one asshole philosopher on this board and that is me!~
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #21
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:

You're going senile dude, that was me

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
You're going senile dude, that was me
@44 you're still a kid...
Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #23
Bob Ballew

It's all good....next week, I will be out chasing big tuna 50 miles offshore, while Lompoc is spearing river stripers and painting them to look like white sea bass.....

"Those who will not be counseled, cannot be helped"....Benjamin Franklin, from The Way to Wealth:, pub. 1758

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-13-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
It's all good....next week, I will be out chasing big tuna 50 miles offshore, while Lompoc is spearing river stripers and painting them to look like white sea bass.....

"Those who will not be counseled, cannot be helped"....Benjamin Franklin, from The Way to Wealth:, pub. 1758
Yo Bob. Don't need any counseling bro and I'm not much of an artist either. I tried to paint these WSB to look like tuna but I was so busy holding them up I didn't get much painting done.

Here's a couple photos to remind you of what you're looking for cause I know it's been a while dude...
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Group Shot.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	239253   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB WSB.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	239254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Karl Struggling.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	239255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorado.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	239256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connor YT.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	239257  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trash Can of Slugs.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	239258   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB Cooler.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	239259  

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #25
Bob Ballew

Well, I never believed that squawfish and stripers could be stretched out and photoshopped to look like tuna and wsb….just goes to show, that on rare occasions, I can be proven wrong....
Old 02-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
vancec

The only really big shark I've seen was the one that tried to eat Harry at Guadlaupe.
vancec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #27
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

I felt I just had to repost this from Ritchie Zacker (Bucket One) on the Florida gulfcoast forum from several years ago. It's a good read

To start off, I'd say that this might be the most frighting experience of my young life and sure don't want to go through this again or ever wish this to happen to anyone else.
It all start's off first thing in the morning, I decend on the spot to find out that there is a ragging current and I didn't quite hit the spot the way I wanted to. No big deal I'll just take a compose heading and get to the spot, well this was no easy task considering that the currnt was right in my face and I wasn't really making a bunch of progress.
On the way to the spot I'm greated by to big male hog's that I quickly take down and proceed to the spot. Once I get to the spot I see about 15 gag's or so in front of me finning into the current, I zap one and the other's take off so I proceed to the honey hole only to find nothing home. I look back into the swifting current to see that a few of the gag's had come back to check me out. I quickly take aim and let one have it only to watch it take off with the current.
I take off the way the fish went already reloaded for the second shot when I get to the fish and see he didn't need the second shot and decide to stringer it up when I look up to take a glance and see the biggest shark that I've ever seen coming right at me. By the time that I see him he is only 10ft from me and coming, I grab my gun and lift it up to protect myself when it ram's me so hard that the gun come's straight up against my chest and the shark is pushing me into the current like I'm not even there, when I say the shark is pushing me, I mean pushing me hard and the only thing between the jaw's of death is me and my trusty sea hornet. I had one hand on top of the gun and one under the handle bracing myself for the worst.
The shark had pushed me about 80 to 85ft down the break into the current and it all happend so fast that it felt like forever. In this time of shock or disbelievement, I was thinking to myself that this was it for the Ol Bucket boy or what ever anybody else want's to call me. After the shark decided it had enough of me it turned to go it's way, but not fast enough for me not to get a good look at what this beast was. In my guess it had to be at least 14ft long and the beefest Tiger Shark that I've ever seen.
Now that this shark has left I'm thinking is he coming back for more or what. Well because I'm shaking so hard and breathing like no tommorrow and scared out of my wite, I've got to stop and get myself back together. I quickly put on a powerhead and get 20ft off the bottom and swim back to my stringer to collect it and my last grouper with the shaft in it. I sat in the water column for a least 2 minute's and looked in every which way he could come. After I calm down some what I quickly go down grab my stringer and grouper with the shaft in it and leave. All the way up I'm thinking of what has just happened here and I can't wait to get back in the boat. Once I hit the surface I lay down on the dive alert to come get my ass now. The HeadHunter pull's up to me and I jump in the boat only to see myself shaking so bad it's stupid.
After some what telling the crew what has happend I sat in a corner for an hour and thanked my lucky star's that it coulda been alot worse. I think I may have said a total of 10 word's in a hour because I just couldn't get over the fright. After my time out I got back in the water and starting shooting again but not without looking over my sholder all day. I know some people would say that I shoulda done thing's different but there was nothing that I could have done any better in my opinion. I lived to see another day and shoot more big carbo's and tell one hell of a shark story.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ighlight=shark
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote