Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
jjjjeremy

Wetsuit Lubes vs. Conditioner

For the past two wetsuits I've owned, an XCEL Tri-Polar semi-dry and my current Mako 7mm Yamamoto I used a very popular wetsuit lubricant thinking that I was doing the best for my wetsuit and the environment. I didn't want to put anything on my wetsuit that could degrade it, and didn't want to put more chemicals in the ocean than are already there.

I was at a buddy's house the other night, and while talking about different dive topics the subject of wetsuit lube came across the table. I defended my decision to use a wetsuit-specific lubricant for the reasons mentioned above, and was told that I'd had the wool pulled over my eyes. He showed me a gallon bottle of Cure Care hair conditioner that can be bought at any Sally's Beauty Supply for under $10, and it's the same as the lubricant I'd been using.

I didn't believe him so I took home his nearly empty bottle, mixed it to the same ratio that I had my wetsuit lube, and you can't tell them apart. Color, feel, smell, viscocity, taste even. Exactly the same. I've attached a photo of the two side by side, and you can see for yourself. The one on the left only looks darker because of the lighting. They're the same in person. I know what I'll be using from now on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	204252  
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Re: Wetsuit Lubes vs. Conditioner

Astro glide.....

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Conditioner with water... No coconut scent... Doesn't mix well with pee-pee...

Specific wetsuit lube is a hoax and marketing scheme...
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
SEATUX

Yup....
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjeremy View Post
For the past two wetsuits I've owned, an XCEL Tri-Polar semi-dry and my current Mako 7mm Yamamoto I used a very popular wetsuit lubricant thinking that I was doing the best for my wetsuit and the environment. I didn't want to put anything on my wetsuit that could degrade it, and didn't want to put more chemicals in the ocean than are already there.

I was at a buddy's house the other night, and while talking about different dive topics the subject of wetsuit lube came across the table. I defended my decision to use a wetsuit-specific lubricant for the reasons mentioned above, and was told that I'd had the wool pulled over my eyes. He showed me a gallon bottle of Cure Care hair conditioner that can be bought at any Sally's Beauty Supply for under $10, and it's the same as the lubricant I'd been using.

I didn't believe him so I took home his nearly empty bottle, mixed it to the same ratio that I had my wetsuit lube, and you can't tell them apart. Color, feel, smell, viscocity, taste even. Exactly the same. I've attached a photo of the two side by side, and you can see for yourself. The one on the left only looks darker because of the lighting. They're the same in person. I know what I'll be using from now on!

Are you still saving the environment?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

99 cent dollar store conditioner mixed 50/50 with water works great. i smell like cucumber melon... until the pee sets in

Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
jjjjeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
Are you still saving the environment?

It's my job!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
joekahuna

does this also work with a wetsuit like this
Amazon.com: Spetton HexSkin 1.5mm Wetsuit: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Spetton HexSkin 1.5mm Wetsuit: Sports & Outdoors
?
For some reason I keep thinking that adding lube to the wetsuit doesnt work on either closed cell suits or open cell suits.
The suit I own is the one on the link above, Spetton Hexsking 1.5, I am not sure if its an open cell suit or a closed cell.
joekahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

It will help your hexskin slide on but is unnecessary. The 1.5mm is closed cell so the nylon liner will give you the slip needed to pull the suit on and off with just water.

Lube is absolutely necessary for open cell suits. There is no liner on these suits so the rubber is directly against your skin creating an incredible amount of friction. You will tear an open cell suit in half before getting it on without lube.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjeremy View Post
It's my job!

Ha. Just pullin your chain. What's your job?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
415dvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
wetsuit lube is a hoax and marketing scheme...
Says the guy pimping a freediving organization that's a ripoff of another organization...

You and the OP ought to get together and come up with a real idea so we can all pick it apart and talk shit about something we know absolutely about.
415dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
jjjjeremy

I'm an attorney and specialize in environmental litigation, on the public interest side.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #13
Mahi Maniac

I have found the perfect solution for you. http://geekologie.com/2009/04/why-di...-that-baco.php
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
sweatloaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dvr View Post
Says the guy pimping a freediving organization that's a ripoff of another organization...

You and the OP ought to get together and come up with a real idea so we can all pick it apart and talk shit about something we know absolutely about.
Actually I've advised him to diversify into flashers upcycled from cds and dvds. Nobody has made these available to the public and I believe it would be both commercially viable and environmentally beneficial.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dvr View Post

Haha!! You sound like an angry man... From what I can see you are a Lube supporter and a PFI guy. That's cool. Never have I bashed PFI. On the contrary, I've always supported them and their cause, ask Ted Hardy and Ren Chapman...

About "ripping off the other company's idea"... I guess you don't know the whole story... I guess you'll have to ask the OP( I'm assuming it stands for Other Prick and you are referring to Martin Stepanek)...

Listen, if you want to use the marketed lube, go ahead.. Conditioner and water seem to work just fine (no rashes nor wetsuit breakdown).

I would give you the time of day but it's really not worth it. Safe diving. Here is my current schedule if you want to take a freediving class with me and you can pay for my "rip off" class.... You can check if what we have is a "real" idea or not.. Haha!!

http://extranet.freedivinginstructor...dinstructor=18

Last edited by flamencoguru; 04-22-2014 at 09:41 AM.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote