Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Nelson Kwok
Formerly known as Qtip

07/24/2010: Halibut dive (A Clearing of the Mind)

I have only hunted halibut twice……..but to me, halibut hunting is far different than any other type of diving. Usually when I enter the water, gun in hand, I have the mindset of a hunter. It is a feeling that originates from deep within me, powerful and primal. It is an anticipation that brings a shallowness to the breath and a quickening of the heart.

Halibut inspire none of these sensations in me. Most people consider halibut diving boring, almost mindless work as you cruise over swaths of sand, scanning for the head, the eyes, the tell tale sign of a fish half buried and perfectly camouflaged in the sand. You dive, swim until your breath runs out and you surface. Rest momentarily and repeat. Breathe, swim, rest, and repeat to infinitum until you find and shoot a halibut or your body, or as likely your mind, can take no more.

Far from exciting, halibut diving is still satisfying nonetheless. It is a very calming and relaxing activity to me, one where I do not need to focus or concentrate, but can just lose myself in the motions. I think I actually do better and see more fish when I DON’T concentrate. Kind of like looking at those Magic Eye posters that were popular in the 90’s. Relax your mind and your eyes and the 3D image appears almost like magic.

I hadn’t planned on diving this weekend. Getting mugged for the second time in 2 weeks left me rattled and I was supposed to go apartment hunting to find a place in a safer neighborhood. But when I woke up late Saturday morning and realized I still hadn’t replaced my cell phone that was taken (How am I supposed to make phone calls to look at apartments if I don’t have a phone?) I grabbed my dive stuff, threw them in the car, fueled up with a combo meal at Mickey D’s and headed for the water.

I found two divers exiting as I pulled up. I’ve only dove the area once before and they gave me some intel from their morning dive. From what they told me I didn’t have high hopes when I entered the water, but fish was not what I was truly after, but peace of mind. Something to calm the spirit and reset my psyche which has been a bit troubled as of late.

A few hours later, I spotted a pair of eyes protruding from the sand, attached to a very uniquely shaped head. It was difficult to make out the rest of the body and for a second I wasn’t sure if it was of legal size. A second was all the fish needed to decide it wanted no part of whatever assessment was going on inside my brain and he exploded from the sand.

“YUP, that's a legal one” as I watched it take off. Out of instinct I point my Rob Allen and shoot. Almost as if guided to a bullseye on the back of the halibut, the arrow pierces the fish center of mass, anchoring it. It was only later when I extracted the shaft that I find out the fish has swum far enough before I pulled the trigger, the angle of the shot was so steep the exit hole on the bottom of the fish was near its fin.

Fish secured I kick back to shore to an exit so gentle I paused in waist deep water to pull off my mask and hood to drink in the salt air, the calm breeze, and the sun hanging low in the sky, wishing I lived closer and could jump in the ocean at least once every day, if only for a brief moment.

As I drove home, back toward the rough part of Oakland and still rougher inhabitants that populate its streets I wished I could say all was right in the world again, but that would not be realistic. But what I can say is I was in much spirits now than I was this morning when I woke up. And later in the evening when the halibut is gracing my supper table I will be even more so.

Last edited by Nelson Kwok; 07-26-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Nelson Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
chowderpuff
Lord of the Lings

Re: 07/24/2010: Halibut dive (A Clearing of the Mind)

Freakin' A, is there any fish in California you haven't speared yet? Rob Allen should sponsor you, good job man.
chowderpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
Nelson Kwok
Formerly known as Qtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowderpuff View Post
Freakin' A, is there any fish in California you haven't speared yet? Rob Allen should sponsor you, good job man.
BTW: When diving solo, Rob Allens coupled with the Tin Man camera mount makes a kick ass self photography tool. Spear your gun into the sand. Set your timer. Swim out a bit. Turn around. "Cheese!"
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Bwano

You're a damn fine writer and spearo and photographer.
Hope you find a safe and peaceful place to live soon.
Bwano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Diablo Loco

That was a great narration of your adventure. Impressive writing skills. And a nice hali to boot. Congrats!

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
chrisnsd
Chris

Always enjoy your posts man, nice catch.
chrisnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
WESTBURY

Nice write-up Q Tip

Now get the hell out of Oak Town!
That place is dangerous!

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Nice fish. How much did it weigh?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Nelson Kwok
Formerly known as Qtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
Nice fish. How much did it weigh?
On my friend's miserly scale, the fish went a little under 18 pounds......about 6.5 pounds under.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
scootz

Freaking awesome. Again.

You can come stay with me for as long as you like. I just have three very short roommates.

Scott
scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
el_pedorro
Doug Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Kwok View Post
BTW: When diving solo, Rob Allens coupled with the Tin Man camera mount makes a kick ass self photography tool. Spear your gun into the sand. Set your timer. Swim out a bit. Turn around. "Cheese!"
I was wondering how you did that. Nice job...nice fish, too!
el_pedorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Nice job Nelson !!!

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Kwok View Post
On my friend's miserly scale, the fish went a little under 18 pounds......about 6.5 pounds under.
Nice photo then
Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

Nice job nelson !

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
ApneaAddict

I love reading reports that really express not just the hunt, but the true experience of being in the water and what it means to the person. Spearfishing is so much more than killing fish... but some times killing fish is a damn nice perk! Nice write up and great fish, Nelson!

Oh and get out of Oak town before you get really hurt!
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote