Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
roy_nexus_6

History of "Gun Control"

In 1929 the Soviet Union established gun control.
- From 1929 to 1953, approximately 20 million
dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control.
- From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to
defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938.
- From 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies,
homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, who were
unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935.
- From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents,
exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964.
- From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to

Uganda established gun control in 1970.
- From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to

Cambodia established gun control in 1956.
- From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people,
exterminated.
roy_nexus_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
fast97rs

Re: History of "Gun Control"

Makes you wonder..... does this work? Hmmmmmmmmmm.................

Jorgy
fast97rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
jackpine savage
Kill your food

I doubt having a sidearm would have helped the Jews and others against Germany. Russia had an army and got beaten for a few years pretty bad. Good try though
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
fishhunta

Amen.....
A buddy of mine is from Bolivia where owning a bullet is a crime. He says that over there people fight alot more. Growing up, he got his a$$ kicked regularly, and sometimes rather dangerously. When he first moved here, the first thing he realized is that we are nowhere near as violent with less murders, crime, and fights. He, still not a gun owner, thinks it's because we have guns. Noone wants to start a fight or threaten someone if they could get shot.............
on the objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents."
James Madison

www.variancharters.com
fishhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
inletsurf

The problem is, many cannot differentiate between some basic needed gun laws and total ban of guns. It is black and white to you. We do not live in a black and white world.

You call this "gun control" however what you're implying is the total banning of all firearms.

I do NOT believe the banning of firearms, that is obviously ridiculous and against everyones constitutional rights. But I do believe in a small amount of gun "control". Like preventing known felons from having guns. You are convicted of a violent felony, you should never be allowed to hold a firearm. Like the mentally ill having guns. Once diagnosed as being mentally ill from a severe form of illness (schizo, bipolar depression, etc), they should never be allowed to hold a gun again. Children shouldn't be allowed to hold a firearm without an adult present. Airline passengers should not be allowed to have guns on their person during flights. There should be licenses to own or posess firearms capable of firing >100 rounds a minute (fully automatic weapons).

What about Rwanda and Somalia? There are no gun laws there. Just gangs and large black markets. And genocide, at times.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
fast97rs

I believe that any law abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a firearm. Everyone thinks that auto = huge body count when in reality unless you have a decent amount of training and proficiency it always = lack of accuracy and hence misses.....

The problems with any control of firearms is that if a criminal wants to commit a crime they are not going to pay attention to the laws regarding where you may and may not bring a firearms, or who may and may not have one..... Your not going to get "Ice pick" who wants to go on a drive-by with his homies walking into Bass Pro and registering/filling out paper work for firearms... he's going to go to the corner and pick up what he wants cheap, and unregistererd....

Such examples are Universities.... a criminal that wants to go on a shooting rampage knows that noone is going to shoot back, and he is going to be the only one armed till the police show up..... Such as Washington where crime is up because the criminals are the only ones who have firearms.....

Jorgy
Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast97rs
Everyone thinks that auto = huge body count when in reality unless you have a decent amount of training and proficiency it always = lack of accuracy and hence misses.....
Jorgy
What about in a crowded subway station.

A pistol vs a fully automatic AK.

Which would kill more people?

Quote:
The problems with any control of firearms is that if a criminal wants to commit a crime they are not going to pay attention to the laws regarding where you may and may not bring a firearms, or who may and may not have one..... Your not going to get "Ice pick" who wants to go on a drive-by with his homies walking into Bass Pro and registering/filling out paper work for firearms... he's going to go to the corner and pick up what he wants cheap, and unregistererd....
I understand. Thats why I think that anyone caught with an unregistered firearm or a firearm with missing numbers ought to spend 5 years mandatory in a federal prison.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_nexus_6
In 1929 the Soviet Union established gun control.
- From 1929 to 1953, approximately 20 million
dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control.
- From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to

Germany established gun control in 1938.
- From 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies,
homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, who were
exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935.
- From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents,
exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964.
- From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to

Uganda established gun control in 1970.
- From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to

Cambodia established gun control in 1956.
- From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people,
exterminated.
You forgot United Kingdom's strict gun control and the IRA, oh, wait, that doesn't fit your model.

These type of postings are trash. Most of the people exterminated in these examples not only did not own guns but did not have the ability to get guns even if they could. Before posting these at least have some knowledge of history.

John
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
roy_nexus_6

"Registering" firearms ?

We all know what happened in UK, Australia and Canada, right after the "firearm registration" laws were passed.
roy_nexus_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf
Thats why I think that anyone caught with an unregistered firearm or a firearm with missing numbers ought to spend 5 years mandatory in a federal prison.
You do know that the supreme court has already ruled that criminals who possess guns that they failed to register can not be prosecuted for that,as it violates their right against self-incrimination?

Gun registration has not worked either as a preventative measure, or in solving crimes, anywhere it's been tried.

The government has no legitimate reason to know what guns I have. My guns are not registered, nor will they ever be. I refuse to even consider living in a state that requires it.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
fast97rs

Quote:
What about in a crowded subway station.

A pistol vs a fully automatic AK.

Which would kill more people?
Truth is that if your one of the lucky people who have a class III license your not likely to be doing that...

And if you are really a messed up human being and that sick and really wanted to kill so many people... wouldn't an IED make more sense?

Its not like the movies where you stand there and unload hundreds of rounds outta an 8 round magazine...

If your carrying a weapon with a drum attached to it (usually a rifle) and are not noticed by an officer or by other people.... then your invisable...

Even a hi-cap pistol is limited to about 20 rounds... and even then... the magazine is still very heavy and the whole firearm is completly off balance... not a good way to shoot in full auto....

Quote:
I understand. Thats why I think that anyone caught with an unregistered firearm or a firearm with missing numbers ought to spend 5 years mandatory in a federal prison.
Whats wrong with having an unregistered firearm?.... honestly... why should the whole world know what you have? I bet that the people with registered firearms in NO where upset that the Gov. and LEO's know exactly where to collect the firearms from citizens who legally own them.... leaving them unarmed against the fugitives who got thier's illegally.

now if the serial # has been grinded out... then you will get into trouble.....

Jorgy
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son
You do know that the supreme court has already ruled that criminals who possess guns that they failed to register can not be prosecuted for that,as it violates their right against self-incrimination?

Gun registration has not worked either as a preventative measure, or in solving crimes, anywhere it's been tried.

The government has no legitimate reason to know what guns I have. My guns are not registered, nor will they ever be. I refuse to even consider living in a state that requires it.
I guess it wouldn't work, if even the honest firearm-carrying citizens refuse to do it. Black and white, black and white.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
inletsurf

Quote:
Truth is that if your one of the lucky people who have a class III license your not likely to be doing that...

And if you are really a messed up human being and that sick and really wanted to kill so many people... wouldn't an IED make more sense?
So basically you are agreeing with me in the first sentence, that licensing would be required because it screens out the mentally unstable,

and secondly, you are speculating in a prediciment that really has no substance in this discussion. I cannot speculate what a messed-up, sick human being would want to use to hurt others, all I can speculate is that they will use whatever is easy to get with the lowest risk of being caught.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Wayward Son

The anti-gun groups have as part of their strategy getting registration laws passed, for the purpose of being able to confiscate guns later, once they've been banned.

They have used it in England & Australia, to name 2 nations. It has been used already at the state level in a couple of cases here.

Given the fact that the USSC has in fact so ruled that a criminal can't be prosecuted for possessing an unregistered gun, but a non-criminal can, the notion of using registration as an anti-crime tool is demonstrably false & useless in America.

With all of this in mind & even more that i don't have time to post now, I'd have to be an utter fool to think that registering my guns is a good idea in any way, shape or form.