Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
bdavis

Front Line Freediving Review

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience of the PFI class I took with Front Line Freediving in Wilmington, NC:

I just got done with taking Front Line Freedivings PFI Level 1 Freediving course with Sam Blount. Overall the class was an incredible experience to say the least.

For the classroom portion of the course we met in the morning at Sam’s house. Sam made us feel right at home and after brief introductions we were underway. Sam went over all the information clearly and in a way that everyone could understand. He was very patient and gave tons of one-on-one time to every student to make sure that everyone had their equalization and breathing techniques down pat.

After a brief lunch break we met back up at the pool. Here is where my confidence started to build. Here, Sam helped me correct my kicks and learn how to confidently respond to an array of freediving emergencies. I also increased my static breathold by over a minute to almost reach 3 ½ minutes.

During the open water portion of the class Sam really helped me fine-tune my diving as we dove on his rig. Sam was with me the whole time during the dive, which boosted my confidence and allowed myself to tweak my head position and form real time during the dive. I hit the 66-foot max depth for the class and felt more comfortable at that depth than I used to when I was hitting the 40’ range while diving with poor form. Since Sam is a spearfishing based freediving instructor after the class was over Sam even let me practice line diving with my gun so I could maintain the good form I learned while spearfishing.
bdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
bleu
Official Sponsor

Re: Front Line Freediving Review

Thanks for the review Brian. It was great watching you shoot this fish the next day.
bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
bleu
Official Sponsor

A few more pictures from Brian's class.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
bleu
Official Sponsor

This is a review from Tristan who was in an earlier class.

My name is Tristan; I’m 27 and have spent the greater part of my adult life living in North Carolina. I’ve always been attracted to the water – I learned how to swim before I could walk, and spent my summers either at the beach or pool, always in the water.
As a child, I was PADI certified and was immediately hooked – being able to spend my time under the water, no longer bound to my snorkel (albeit a regulator) was exhilarating. That was until I was introduced to Free Diving. For those of you who have experienced the sport, you know it is truly an amazing experience unlike SCUBA or Snorkeling. However, it can be extremely dangerous when not done properly.
Thankfully, my introduction to the sport came from a former student of Ted Hardy’s during the summer of 2014 on my first spearfishing trip. Hearing how he spoke about his experience learning from one of the sports elite, prompted me to want to learn more and safely hone my craft too.

To do so, I reached out to Instructor Sam Blount who was trained by Ted and Performance Freediving International, and is a known spear fisher in the Wilmington area. I recently completed Sam’s beginner freediving course and was blown away by his passion, enthusiasm, knowledge, skill, and my ability to quickly learn from his techniques. He is a fantastic teacher!
While I loved it, freediving (and spearfishing for that matter) was a struggle for me – I didn’t know how to properly equalize and to say everyone’s previous attempts to teach me failed, would be a total understatement. I would constantly hit and push myself against my body’s wall while out diving, only to end up with sore ears and no luck. It was frustrating….
On the first day of the course during the classroom section, Sam worked with me directly and within 15 minutes (Seriously couldn’t make this up) had me properly frenzeling. This was one of the biggest hindrances to my diving and spearing. To have someone work with me so quickly to get passed this roadblock alone, would have been completely worth taking this class to me.
But that was not all that I got out of Sam’s class. I never realized how dangerous the situations I was putting myself in were, while I was out on the water. By not understanding what to do in the event of an emergency – if a dive buddy came up and blacked out or blacked out under water. I wouldn’t have known how to react or what to do. A potentially minor situation could have easily turned into a deadly one.
Thanks to Sam and the course, I’m now trained, certified and prepared to react and potentially save one of my friend’s lives in the event of a blackout out on the water. This by far is the biggest take away from this class in my opinion. Yes you will learn to dive deeper, your form and your static will improve, but YOU WILL be taught how to become safer! If not only for yourself, but also to those diving with you too.
I have highly recommend Sam’s course to my friends, and anyone I meet who is interested in becoming a better, safer diver. Thank you Sam!
Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
bleu
Official Sponsor

Gift Certificates available through the holidays. 10% discount off the full course price.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
ldsanta

I also took this course. I have been spearfishing and freediving for a little over a year now. I don’t necessarily have a desire to do competitions, but I truly enjoy the adrenaline rush I get from freediving and spearfishing. I have already been diving in the 80ft range, but I was interested in being able to dive deeper and push myself further.
I decided to look into taking a freedive course, which I had been putting off because I was already diving to 80ft. I was hesitant at first since the class only allows you to go to 66ft. As I began to research these classes I realized the class has much more to offer than just teaching you to dive deep.
I decided to take a class with Sam Blount of Front Line Freediving. In the classroom I learned about safety and breathing techniques in addition to the other diving techniques I had already learned through experience. Sam was very thorough with all the material and made it entertaining to learn. By the end of the classroom experience I felt that I had already gained so much more insight than I already knew.
The next day we were in the pool and we practiced some safety techniques. I was very impressed with how Sam was determined to make us practice these techniques until we were completely comfortable with them. He made sure it was perfect, not just mediocre. We transitioned into entries and eventually worked our way into static breath hold. I extended my static by nearly 30 seconds at the end of the course.
Overall, taking this class was a great decision. I feel more confident in my diving techniques, which allows me to focus more on the spearfishing. Sam was a great teacher! Thanks for the experience. I’m looking forward to taking my level II course.
ldsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Shakhouse

so I had a great time with Sam Blount at front line free diving this past weekend and learned a lot of new skills and had my personal best time and with the right training you can get your time better and dive deeper
Shakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Hosang

Well, at an average of 30 feet for diving/Spearfishing, I met Sam Blount on a spearing trip in North Carolina.
After seeing him deep dive and shoot African Pompano like he was just picking strawberries, I knew I have to get on the Front Line Program.
He said he was going to Costa Rica to hold classes and spearfish, I had the time available so I booked the trip.
Best thing I could have done for my diving/spear fishing.
Sam's class is insightful, with Safety at the forefront of everything you do. In depth training on how to breath up, purge, hook breaths, cleansing breaths, inhaling from your diaphragm, the whole nine.
Was able to get increase static breath hold, and dive to 68 feet, more than doubling my depth.
Once class was over, and we were certified PFI freedivers, he transitioned into a spear fishing trainer, showing us how to better handle and dive with the speargun, for safety and streamlining the dive.
On top of it all got to swim with a beautiful whale shark, in the beautiful clear water of Costa Rica.
You should definitely use Front Line Freediving to better your Freedive experience, and become a safe diver.
Thanks Sam!!!!
Hosang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
bleu
Official Sponsor

Hey Mike,

It was great diving with you and it was a blast diving with that whale shark. Here is Mike getting friendly with a gentle giant of the deep.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Hosang

Most epic spearing day ever!
Hosang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
Shakhouse

So after completing the classroom and pool session for my level 1 freediving cert that Sam teaches and going to finish it here in Costa Rica were I am now with my buddy and getting as much sites and water time that he makes possible thanks so much for an ounce in a lifetime experience and teaching me to be not only a better diver and better spero
Shakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
bleu
Official Sponsor

A few photos from my last class in Costa Rica. I am headed back to the US and classes start back up in North Carolina on April 8th.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
bleu
Official Sponsor

Review from Erik Eisele who took my class this past weekend. He drove all the way down from New Hampshire to get trained by Front Line Freediving

"Front Line Freediving taught an awesome class this weekend, with a strong focus on safety, technique and diving fundamentals. I'd never done a static breath hold before; Sam coached me to three minutes, which felt HUGE! Solid instruction and an obvious passion for the sport. Lots of real world examples hammer home the risks of diving as well as the value of quality training. Highly recommended."
Old 04-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #14
breezy

Drove down from NYC this past weekend with my dad and sister to take Sam's class, was worth the drive! None of us had much previous freedive experience, and by the end of the second day my dad did a 4min static breath hold, he was stoked! Sam has a real passion for what he does and it shows in the class and his emphasis on safety and proper technique. Thanks again!
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
bleu
Official Sponsor

This is a review from John Griffith, a writer for Deeper Blue, regarding out new Trauma Kits.

Hoorah! These guys are taking their leadership and safety skills from the front lines to the ocean front...their Trauma Kits are a must have for any dive boat and proper instruction saves lives. Great people, excellent courses, inspired product.

Link to his article https://www.deeperblue.com/front-lin...auma-kit-must/

They are available for pre order at http://frontlinefreediving.com/store/

Get yours before the price comes up for retail sales.