Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Gonefishing82

Help planning for Baja

I’m trying to plan a trip to Baja for the summer with my girlfriend for some spearing action and have been researching where to go. I hear puertocitos is good, Bahia ascuncion, mulege and others but haven’t been to these. I’ve been to La Paz and Cabo and used the bigger outfits and they were great, but I’m trying to save some cash and jump on a Panga for day trips.
I’m looking to fly in likely and stay in decent, affordable room, but would drive to say Puertocitos since it would be about 6 hr drive.
My understanding is that summer is mainly for reef fish (pargo, cabrilla etc) and I’d prefer to target pelagics so I’m debating waiting till fall to do the trip... do pelagics come around in summer?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, specifically who to go out with and when best to go and where to stay.

Thanks!

Andrew

Last edited by Gonefishing82; 05-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Gonefishing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Polespearo
Waterman

Re: Help planning for Baja

Fall is best for pellagics wait for huracane season to finish
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Gonefishing82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
Fall is best for pellagics wait for huracane season to finish
Hey whats up German! Its Andrew aka snacks lol.

oh ok, is that true for most of Baja in general?

My gf and I are leaning toward a trip to Puertocitos for the summer. Know of any good pangueros or guides that way that can put us on some good dive spots?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Timinator

Bahia Ascuncion would be the coolest weather wise, which might be nice. If you can figure out how to fly there, let me know! If you were going to drive and stay, I'd go to the BOLA and get an pangero out of there. If I still lived in San Diego, I'd have bought all of BOLA by now! Lot's of islands to dive and relax on. You get in 2 more days of vacation vs. going to Ascuncion too. If flying, you're going to Loreto, LaPaz or Cabo. Loreto you're driving or taking a long boat ride to dive since it's all protected. La Paz, you're probably diving Cervallo, so I'd stay at Palapa's Ventana for that. Cabo, don't have a clue, still lot's of diving, but lot's of people and stuff too. Too much for me. You know, one more "option", have you ever thought of Cedro's Island? I did that a couple of years ago with Cedro's Outdoor Adventures. That was a pretty bitchen trip. All inclusive including private bus to Ensenada, private plane to the island, then staying at their hotel, great food prepared for every meal, their boats and captains. Very, very, cool. Lot's of Yellowtail, and lot's of huge Calico's and Sheepshead. I'd do that again in a country minute if I could find buddies to go with....with money! Being that you leave from San Diego and come back to San Diego, it's honestly the same price as flying, getting a car, insurance, hotel, panga's, meals, tips, etc. I spent the same going to Mulege or Palapa's. It's pretty, water is clear, it's way cooler there too. When it's 95 in baja, Cedros is high 70's. OK, ranting now. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Gonefishing82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
Bahia Ascuncion would be the coolest weather wise, which might be nice. If you can figure out how to fly there, let me know! If you were going to drive and stay, I'd go to the BOLA and get an pangero out of there. If I still lived in San Diego, I'd have bought all of BOLA by now! Lot's of islands to dive and relax on. You get in 2 more days of vacation vs. going to Ascuncion too. If flying, you're going to Loreto, LaPaz or Cabo. Loreto you're driving or taking a long boat ride to dive since it's all protected. La Paz, you're probably diving Cervallo, so I'd stay at Palapa's Ventana for that. Cabo, don't have a clue, still lot's of diving, but lot's of people and stuff too. Too much for me. You know, one more "option", have you ever thought of Cedro's Island? I did that a couple of years ago with Cedro's Outdoor Adventures. That was a pretty bitchen trip. All inclusive including private bus to Ensenada, private plane to the island, then staying at their hotel, great food prepared for every meal, their boats and captains. Very, very, cool. Lot's of Yellowtail, and lot's of huge Calico's and Sheepshead. I'd do that again in a country minute if I could find buddies to go with....with money! Being that you leave from San Diego and come back to San Diego, it's honestly the same price as flying, getting a car, insurance, hotel, panga's, meals, tips, etc. I spent the same going to Mulege or Palapa's. It's pretty, water is clear, it's way cooler there too. When it's 95 in baja, Cedros is high 70's. OK, ranting now. Good luck.
Sweet! Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely keep this in mind for when I’m gonna be doing a spendy trip.

Ya bahia ascuncion seems super cool but too far of a drive I think...

This June I’m going to hit Puertecitos and go out with Dale. It’s a convenient trip and not too pricey.

As for Cabo Colin at Indigo Adventures was awesome - highly recommend him

BOLA looks dope too I want to make it down there as well.

So many choices with Baja! I’m gonna first do the trips that are within driving range to keep the costs down, but keep the suggestions coming