Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
jfjf

Lobster Diving - Palm Beach FEB 2019

Another nice day on the water. On my first dive, I forgot my weight belt in the truck, so I had borrowed weights stuffed in non-ditchable pockets of my BC. and I was wearing a 7mm suit and testing a new to me BC and regulator.

When I get to the bottom on the first dive, there is little current and I get the reel line wrapped around my ankle, I realize I forgot to turn on my pony bottle, so I take the tank off and then get a lesson as to why I like to wear a weight belt rather than have all ballast attached to my BC ... and turn the pony on and then it takes me a while to get things straightened out..

https://youtu.be/v3K5z8S2sbk

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Lobster Diving - Palm Beach FEB 2019

Nice video, Jim.

I went to wearing a weight belt last year. Makes sense for many reasons. Looks like you need some yoga classes to get some extra stretch to the ankle.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
jfjf

Thanks James, I'm not getting taller but my feet seem to be getting further and further away.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Intheslot

Thanks for the video Jim.

As always a good production and a little side story too for entertainment.

The water has been so clear lately, hasn't it.

I went yesterday and we ended up with our bug limit and about 4lbs of filleted lionfishes.

When scootering I use about 200' length of thicker fixed line without a reel. Since switching I rarely get tangled anymore, maybe because the thicker line is stiffer. And the longer length is less drag. I also think that maybe even if we ever get seperated that I just might be able to pull the scooter up to the boat with just the line. You need some small cork floats about 20' up to keep it off the bottom. And it has to curl nicely into a small bucket when done to keep it straight.

See you out there.
Intheslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheslot View Post
Thanks for the video Jim.

As always a good production and a little side story too for entertainment.

The water has been so clear lately, hasn't it.

I went yesterday and we ended up with our bug limit and about 4lbs of filleted lionfishes.

When scootering I use about 200' length of thicker fixed line without a reel. Since switching I rarely get tangled anymore, maybe because the thicker line is stiffer. And the longer length is less drag. I also think that maybe even if we ever get seperated that I just might be able to pull the scooter up to the boat with just the line. You need some small cork floats about 20' up to keep it off the bottom. And it has to curl nicely into a small bucket when done to keep it straight.

See you out there.
Thanks, Yeah there is a trade off; with a fixed line, then you don't ascend under the float. A reel is better when diving wrecks, because you can shorten the line and better keep it out of the superstructure.

A really good idea for a fixed line... For about 8 feet or so of the line at the hook, run it through a piece of vinyl tubing or pneumatic air hose and tie a knot on the line so it can not slide up the line. this makes the end of the line near the diver really stiff and thick and ALMOST impossible to get wrapped up in.. and if you do, it is much easier to remedy. Once you try this, i doubt you will switch back. It even serves as a chaffing guard if you hook off on a sharp wreck.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
jfjf

March 2019:

https://youtu.be/ihuZ8FhqdZw

Last edited by jfjf; 03-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
sharpshooter

Around 7:45 looks like a decent male hog tending close to a female hog. Nice video as always.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
jfjf

yup, thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
SpearitPBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Another nice day on the water. On my first dive, I forgot my weight belt in the truck, so I had borrowed weights stuffed in non-ditchable pockets of my BC. and I was wearing a 7mm suit and testing a new to me BC and regulator.

When I get to the bottom on the first dive, there is little current and I get the reel line wrapped around my ankle, I realize I forgot to turn on my pony bottle, so I take the tank off and then get a lesson as to why I like to wear a weight belt rather than have all ballast attached to my BC ... and turn the pony on and then it takes me a while to get things straightened out..

https://youtu.be/v3K5z8S2sbk

http://youtu.be/v3K5z8S2sbk
Awesome Vidio!