Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Eibwen

Glock-Fishing (underwater)

This is a few years old but I searched and didn't find any threads about it.

Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: Glock-Fishing (underwater)

Because it's a stupid video I would imagine....

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Because it's a stupid video I would imagine....
Yeah, a local spearfisherman got news coverage for taking a glock out and shooting fish but not worth a mention here. Who shit in your wheaties this morning?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Nobody. My Wheaties status still doesn't change the fact that some asshat thinks it's cool to shoot fish underwater with a pistol....wasting them. For what? A few likes on Instagram or YouTube? Nothing special what so ever about the videos

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

I thought it was an enjoyable video! Saltwater flooding the gun makes me cringe, but still fun to watch.

Who wouldn't want to come up with better ways to waste lionfish?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Ted Brodley

Thanks for posting.
I hope they develop this into something that could be used for protection against sharks. We were hook and lining off of Carrabelle Tuesday and it was like a sharknado out there. I can't imagine diving in it.
Ted Brodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
grey2112

I'm sort of with Eibwen and Tyson on this one.

#1 - Nothing illegal here, harvesting lionfish (even "wasting" them) is a GOOD thing due to their invasive nature.

#2 - I cringe as well with regards to saltwater exposure to any non-stainless mechanical device. No way I'd ever do that with any of MY guns (I should say "former" guns as I lost all of them in a tragic boating accident many years ago.)

#3 - I could definitely see something like this on a drone that goes into depths divers can't go into, for the sole purpose of remote killing of lionfish.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
#3 - I could definitely see something like this on a drone that goes into depths divers can't go into, for the sole purpose of remote killing of lionfish.
Whoa...Lion fish are open year around,With NO limits,and only divers can take them...and they are GREAT table fare...don't be putting ideas in "anyones" head!
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Whoa...Lion fish are open year around,With NO limits,and only divers can take them...and they are GREAT table fare...don't be putting ideas in "anyones" head!
Not sure I understand. I was saying that lionfish in depths past where divers can take them STILL need to be eradicated. What are you saying?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
SEATUX

Quote:
Not sure I understand. I was saying that lionfish in depths past where divers can take them STILL need to be eradicated. What are you saying?
If they can be eradicated at 400 ft, they can do it at 100 ft.
Besides...you think that only taking "deep lions" wont affect the the "shallow" crop?

That and...if only spearfisherman can keep the lions in check...the possibility of outlawing spearfishing is all but non-existent.

Sad...but true.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
grey2112

Quote:
If they can be eradicated at 400 ft, they can do it at 100 ft.
Besides...you think that only taking "deep lions" wont affect the the "shallow" crop?

That and...if only spearfisherman can keep the lions in check...the possibility of outlawing spearfishing is all but non-existent.

Sad...but true.
I honestly don't believe that there will ever be a problem with this. There will always be a role for spearos and mechanical/remote removal methods with regards to lions, and even IF spearos are taken out of the equation, who cares as long as the lions are removed. We never had this issue before the 80s, and the revival and re-population of fish in the future that will benefit us IF the lions are removes is more than worth it.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
SEATUX

Quote:
I honestly don't believe that there will ever be a problem with this. There will always be a role for spearos and mechanical/remote removal methods with regards to lions, and even IF spearos are taken out of the equation, who cares as long as the lions are removed. We never had this issue before the 80s, and the revival and re-population of fish in the future that will benefit us IF the lions are removes is more than worth it.
How old are you? "Never had what issue before the 80's"? Do you remember when there wasn't a fishing license for off shore salt water in Florida? Who'd have EVER believed that anyone could make us get a license, O'alone tell us what was "in season" and what "our take was".
And who cares...."IF spearos are taken out of the equation, who cares as long as the lions are removed." Your joking...Right?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
grey2112

Quote:
How old are you? "Never had what issue before the 80's"? Do you remember when there wasn't a fishing license for off shore salt water in Florida? Who'd have EVER believed that anyone could make us get a license, O'alone tell us what was "in season" and what "our take was".
And who cares...."IF spearos are taken out of the equation, who cares as long as the lions are removed." Your joking...Right?

Honestly, I'm trying to understand what the issue is. We are talking about an INVASIVE species. Something that needs to be eradicated, by any means necessary. Nutria, baboons, jackals, lionfish. Who CARES about the methods. When I said "Never had an issue" I mean with LIONFISH - I'm not talking about licenses for legal fish.

Question - are you somehow worried that lionfish and the commercial and table fare value to fishermen/spearos is in danger and that takes precedence over eradication of an invasive species?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #14
Eibwen

Well this thread sure took a detour. I found these videos while watching a Youtube of an unmanned submersible created by the guy behind the Roomba robot. It was a wired sub w/ a camera that could zap lionfish and then use a fan to suck the fish into a tube which was used to retrieve them to surface boat.

I think it would be much easier to eradicate these by installing compressed air tank w/ a needle arm that could stab out and air actuated by hitting/puncturing the fish. Build in some AI to identify lionfish and whammo.

I'm fully behind an eradication effort. There's not much we could ever do to fully get rid of them barring some future scientific breakthrough.

Also, as an FYI, I was reading a thread in the Keys forum and someone was saying they're seeing much fewer numbers of lionfish than years ago.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
gcracker89

Think about it for those of you that shoot guns, how many times have you been shooting and see a dumb ass with a gun. now put him on a moving platform.
I wonder how many times will the coast guard get emergency calls about a boat with a hole in it and its sinking.