Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Brandi
the ocean nutures my soul

NorCal Marine Life Protection Act - Stakeholder Log

Moderator Note: This Stakeholder Log is for Brandi's use to communicate with the wider diving/spearing community on issues pertaining to the MLPA North Coast implementation. Comments and questions should be posted here

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=100355

in order to keep this log organized and to keep the RSG's message from getting lost among the comments and issues that will surely arise.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Divers,

It appears MLPA-I team made a deal with Resources Legacy Fund Foundation (RLFF), a funding source for the MLPA, to be complete with the MLPA process by December 2010. As I see it, making a promise they expect the rest of us to keep regardless if it is adequate time or not for the significant decisions to be made. So, the MLPA process hit the ground running here on the North Coast and so did I to try to keep up, neglecting to properly introduce myself. Below is my self nomination letter also posted http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/ncrsg/easter.pdf - other nominees can be viewed http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/nc_nominations.asp

---------------
November 30, 2009

Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
C/O California Natural Resources Agency
1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: 916.653.8102
MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

Attention: NCRSG nominations

Dear California Natural Resources Agency Members,

As an active diver (free and SCUBA), a resident of the North Coast for more than sixteen years, a California (CA) lifetime fishing license holder and one who highly values the ocean, its resources and its future, I am very interested participating in the implementation of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) on the North Coast.

I have been aware of the initiative since its passage and have been active in the MLPA process serving on the previous regional stakeholder group, Regional Working Group, as the recreational diving (consumptive) representative for District 1. I have continued to be involved with the MLPA process through attendance of various MLPA related meetings in person, phone conference and/ or webcast as well as networking with other user group’s i.e. commercial, recreational and tribal fisherman as well as environmental groups involved in this process. I have also attended DFGC meetings where CA fishery regulations were discussed since 1999.

My club/organization memberships include Humboldt Skin-divers (6th oldest chartered dive club in the State, previously have served as club President, Vice President and Secretary), Central California Council of Dive Clubs aka CenCal (competitive participation, kayak based, requiring one to learn regulations, fish identification, habitat, behavior, shore access areas, etc), and Recreational Fishing Alliance aka RFA (will be providing input on their external array). I am also an active NAUI certified dive master, working as a dive master aboard a dive charter vessel that specializes in SCUBA, Free-diving/Spearfishing, and Eco Tour excursions. I participate on online forums such as the Freedivelist and Spearboard. In conjunction with direct email contact, these online forums as well as my group affiliations will be some of the mechanisms I would use for communication regarding the development and implementation of Marine Protected Area’s (MPA’s) along the North Coast.

As a business owner of more than twenty years, I fully understand and accept the commitment required of the process. I am committed to the establishment of MPAs through a balanced, collaborative, and science based process. I have a comprehensive understanding of the MLPA process and the role of the stakeholder. I feel my knowledge of the region, the local fish, and my connection to the consumptive diving community will be an invaluable asset on the stakeholder group. I would appreciate your consideration as a member of the North Coast Regional Stakeholders Group representing the recreational diving (consumptive) constituency.

Sincerely,

Brandi Easter
PO Box 962
Arcata, CA 95518
(707) 822-4815 phone/fax
------------------

At end of the day of the first NCRSG meeting Feb 8-9, 2010, we all introduced ourselves and who we represent. Although my name placard indicated Humboldt Skindivers, a group of divers I also represent, I made it clear that I am the voice of the recreational (consumptive) diving constituency.

"The ocean changes with every tide" ~ Kenny Tallman

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL

Last edited by zenspearo; 02-21-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Brandi

Re: NorCal Marine Life Protection Act - Stakeholder Log

Here is some information from Mendocino Ocean Community Alliance you might be interseted in.
---------------
We have scheduled a series of meetings for the next six months to facilitate the following:

- providing a venue for information sharing between constituents/stakeholders and our Regional Stakeholders Group
- enabling our constituents to follow array development on MarineMap
- updating City and County Officials, educators, and members of the Press on the MLPA process
- preparing for upcoming Science Advisory Team and Blue Ribbon Task Force meetings to be held in Ft. Bragg and elsewhere
- increasing the scientific awareness and literacy of our constituents
- avoiding any scheduling conflicts with City Council meetings, RSG, SAT, or BRTF meetings

All meetings will take place in Larsen Hall, St. Michael's Episcopal Church on the corner of Fir and Franklin Streets in Ft. Bragg.

MONDAY Mar. 15 6-8 pm
TUESDAY Apr. 27 6-8 pm
TUESDAY May 25 6-8 pm
TUESDAY June 15 6-8 pm
MONDAY July 19 6-8 pm

As always, we invite attendees to bring snacks.

We will do our best to record and/or webcast the meetings for constituents who are unable to attend.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jeanine

--
Jeanine Pfeiffer, PhD
Ethnoecologist

MLPA Program Outreach Facilitator
for Mendocino County

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL
Old 02-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Brandi

Marine Map announcement

California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Announcement

What: Information regarding eight north coast external proposed marine protected area (MPA) arrays submitted by community groups

When: Now available!

Where: Materials regarding external MPA arrays are available on the MLPA website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/northcoast.asp (under Popular Resources click on the first link titled "Information for Round 1 North Coast External Proposed MPA Arrays by Community Groups"); additional information will be posted in the coming week.

The external MPA arrays are also viewable on MarineMap at http://northcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/ under “Public Proposals.”

Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Brandi

Hi All,

I moved this dialogue from another thread to this one. This type of information regarding the external arrays is great stuff. Keep it coming!!

Ocean_314 wrote:
"The one array that has the Big River in it is an ecological disaster in the making In the Big River estuary an invasive species called the European Green Crab is established.
The sport crab fisherman and divers keep the populations of these crabs under control. If this was closed to crabbing the green crab will wipe out the Dungeness crab nursery.
If anyone wants to see green crabs in big river I will be more then happy to take them on a dive and show them where they are.
For the last 5 years I have been diving 3 or 4 times a year just to catch the green crab and reduce the populations in Big River, diving for Dungeness crab in Mendocino bay is one of my favorite dives and I don’t what the green crabs to wipe out the nursery. I also have educated the sport crabbers to kill these things when they get them in their nets. At first I would fill up a couple of lobster full of green crabs, after 5 years the population is down so that I can only get 20 or so. The results are that for the first time in years the rock crabs are coming back in Big River. And the dimes sized baby Dungeness crabs are all over the place again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi:
So if I am understanding you Ocean_314 correctly, if an MPA has to be placed in Big River, you would like to see it have allowances for take of Green Crab?
Ocean_314 responds:
No for the take of the Dungeness crab, the green crab is killed by the Dungeness crab fisherman when they are caught when fishing for the Dungeness crabs. If Big River is closed to Dungeness crabs no one will fish just for the green crabs.

The green crab has no food value as it only gets about 3 to 4 inches across the shell. The green crab is a highly aggressive crab that eats baby Dungeness crabs and out competes the Dungeness crabs for food.

The science says that the rock crabs kill the green crabs but from my observations it’s the rock crabs that seem to disappear when the green crabs are present .I have seen green crabs and rock crabs right next to each other . They don’t fight and seem to ignore each other.

I know the Big River estuary from years of diving, I know what lives in it and at what times of year. The array that mentions Big River is done by some science teachers at the local high school who don’t have a clue about the estuary. I don’t think these people have ever stuck their heads underwater anywhere."

Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Brandi

Who: MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group

What: Public participation and providing comments at the second meeting for the MLPA North Coast Study Region (see attached guidelines for participating in webinar/teleconference meetings and providing public comment)

When: Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 4:00 p.m.

Where: Conference call and webinar on the day of the meeting via simultaneous webcast at

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc..asp (for viewing or listening only)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MLPA_NCRSGGuidelinesPublicComm_100223.pdf (35.5 KB, 643 views)
File Type: pdf NCRSG_Mtg2_ agenda_100217_Public.pdf (35.5 KB, 566 views)

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Brandi

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Feb. 28, 2010

Statement Regarding MLPA Initiative’s Newest MLPA Stakeholder Group Members

MLPA Initiative Executive Director Ken Wiseman today announced Noyo Harbor Commissioner Jim Burns and Albion Campground owner Bruce Campbell have been named to the MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group. The group is responsible for developing recommendations for alternative marine protected areas (MPA) to help the State of California implement the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA).

MLPA California Department of Fish and Game Director John McCamman and MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force Chair Cindy Gustafson appointed the newest members of the stakeholder group, which brings the group to a total of 34 residents of Del Norte, Humboldt and Mendocino counties. The MLPA North Coast Study Region encompasses state waters from the California-Oregon border to Alder Creek near Point Arena in Mendocino County.

“These appointments were made in responsive to the Mendocino Board of Supervisors request for more representation in the Noyo Harbor and Albion areas, said Wiseman. “Both stakeholders were selected based upon their commitment to collaboratively work with diverse interests to develop alternative MPA proposals for the north coast.”

Campbell, who was involved in the external MPA array process, will represent recreational fishing and the interests of the Albion region. Burns will represent both large boat and small boat operators in Mendocino County.

The stakeholder group will work with a blue ribbon task force, science advisory team, and MLPA staff to help California improve the design and management of the north coast portion of a statewide network of marine protected areas. Members of the stakeholder group are intended to ensure that multiple perspectives are heard in the MLPA Initiative’s marine protected area planning process.

The next meeting of the north coast regional stakeholder group will be held on Wednesday, March 24 and Thursday, March 25, 2010 in Crescent City. The next MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force meeting is March 1-2, 2010 in Fort Bragg; Monday, March 1 will be held at the C.V. Starr Community Center (300 S. Lincoln Street) and Tuesday, March 2 is a field trip in the Fort Bragg and Mendocino areas.

Fore more information about the MLPA Initiative, please visit www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Brandi

Subject: MLPA Initiative Key Communicators Update, March 3
To: kelly@strategicearth.com
Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 3:09 PM

California Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative
Key Communicators Update

Please excuse cross-postings

MLPA Initiative Informational Flyer
The MLPA Initiative Public Outreach and Education Team has developed an informational poster/flyer to help inform the north coast community of the marine protected area planning process and how the public can get involved. The flyer is now available:

* A PDF is attached to this email
* Download online here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/publicinvolvement_n.asp
* Order print copies (11x17 and 8.5x11 are available on waterproof paper) by contacting the MLPA Initiative Public Outreach and Education Team via email or call 707-832-4088

MLPA Initiative Informational Videos Available
Looking for "MLPA 101" informational videos to help inform your community about the MLPA and MLPA Initiative? Look no further:

* MLPA 101 video available on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/7693446
* Webcast of public workshops, including introduction to MarineMap - click here (referring to those 2009 workshops listed)

Upcoming Public Presentations
For more information on upcoming meetings and events, visit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp.

Public presentations and trainings:

* March 10, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. &
March 15, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m
Public MarineMap Training Session

The public is invited to participate in training sessions to learn how to use MarineMap, the MLPA Initiative's online mapping tool. These training sessions will be offered ‘remotely’ so that you can participate in your own home or office by accessing the meeting online (a webinar) and calling a toll-free conference line.

Register for March 10: http://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/472901536
Register for March 15: http://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/171868177

Once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with information you need to join the webinar. If you have any questions about the MarineMap training sessions, please send a message to mlpa-gis@lists.msi.ucsb.edu.

* March 22
MLPA Informational Meeting
Mattole Community Center
6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
See attached flyer for more details (also available online here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp#public)

Suggestions for community events to inform the public on the north coast process are welcome! Contact the MLPA Initiative Public Outreach and Education Team via email or call 707-832-4088.

Don't forget to share North Coast News with your constituents!
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/northcoastnews.asp

Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Brandi

Reef Check data collected in Caspar and Van Damme

http://ned.reefcheck.org/map.php

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Brandi

If you haven't checked out the new marine mapping, its really cool how they integrated Google Earth with it. The Mapping Team does a great job of walking people through the map and its tools. I highly recommend taking advantage of their training!

Safe diving, Brandi

Who: Interested members of the public

What: The public is invited to participate in training sessions to learn how to use MarineMap (http://northcoast.marinemap.org/), the MLPA Initiative's online mapping tool.

* Learn about how MarineMap is used in the marine protected area (MPA) planning process
* View data currently available for the north coast
* Learn how to view and provide feedback on MPA designs

These training sessions will be offered remotely so that you can participate in your own home or office by accessing the meeting online (a webinar) and calling a toll-free conference line. A phone line, computer and internet connection are needed for full participation in the training.

When: Two sessions are currently scheduled:

Wednesday, March 10
11:30 AM - 1:00 p.m.
To register for this session, visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/472901536

Monday, March 15
5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
To register for this session, visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/171868177

Once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with information you need to join the webinar and conference line. If you have any questions about the MarineMap training sessions, please send a message to mlpa-gis@lists.msi.ucsb.edu.

Computer requirements:
MarineMap does not support Microsoft Internet Explorer Browsers at this time. To utilize MarineMap, you will need:

Mozilla Firefox: www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html (requires download)
Google Earth: http://earth.google.com/intl/en/plugin/ (requires download)

PC-based attendees: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro, 2003 Server, Vista
Mac-based attendees: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or newer

For MarineMap support, email help@marinemap.org.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Thanks for the post Brandi,
I need to give you a call and catch up on what is going on right now.
These posts really help keep me in the loop,
much appreciated.
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Brandi

Who: MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force

What: Fourth meeting for the MLPA North Coast Study Region (draft agenda attached)

When: Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.

Where: Teleconference and online meeting (see attached agenda for details) and

on
the day of the meeting (for viewing or listening only) via simultaneous

webcast at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp.

Note it is expected that three locations will be set up with a connection to the meeting for the public to attend and participate in public comment, one each in Crescent City, Eureka and Fort Bragg; details to be posted soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BRTF_Mtg4_agenda_100309_public.pdf (81.4 KB, 546 views)

Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Brandi

Who: MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group

What: Third meeting (draft agenda attached)

When: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday, March 25 at 8:00 a.m.

Where: Elk Valley Rancheria Community Center

2332 Howland Hill Road

Crescent City, CA 95531

and on the day of the meeting via simultaneous webcast at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp (for viewing or listening only)

Note it is expected that two public access locations will be set up with a connection to the meeting for the public to attend and participate in public comment, one each in Eureka and Fort Bragg; details to be posted soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NCRSG_Mtg3_agenda_100316_public.pdf (21.8 KB, 544 views)

Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
Brandi

I may be late in getting this announcement out....

Who: Members of the public

What: Join the MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group for lunch!

When: Thursday, March 25, 2010 at approximately 12:00 noon (RSVPs required by Mon, March 22)

Where: Elk Valley Rancheria Community Center
2332 Howland Hill Road
Crescent City, CA 9553

The public is cordially invited to join the NCRSG members for a box lunch. Capacity is limited and RSVPs will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost for the box lunch is $12 (cash only) per person. Members of the public are also welcome to bring their own lunch.

If you would like to order a box lunch, reservations must be made by Monday, March 22 via email (dga_mlpa@sbcglobal.net) or by phone (916-424-8897).

Please also note that meeting materials for the March 24-25, 2010 NCRSG meeting will be posted to the MLPA website beginning Monday, March 22. Those materials that are currently available can be found at http://resources.ca.gov/mlpa_northcoast; additional materials will be added in the coming days.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

thanks for the updates brandi.

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Brandi

Hi Divers,
All kinds of evaluations were presented from SAT, Park service, DFG, MLPA-I, etc at our NCRSG meeting last week to prepare us for what to keep in mind with MPA's, sizing, spacing, etc concluding Round 1. The powers that be (MLPA-I Team) are determining whether the NCRSG will be divided into one or two groups (straw poll of NCRSG favored one group) to begin creating MPA maps of the NC region, starting Round 2 (of 3). Once they have let us know, between then and May 19, we will be mapping. I have heard from several of you, but would like to hear from many more from you with your thoughts on the 8 external array proposals, where you dive, what you specifically dive for, how you go diving (swim from shore, kayak, Zodiak, boat, combo of xx), how many days a year you dive and what is most important to you along the North Coast.

Our next meeting is April 20-21, Ft Bragg. It will not be webcasted, however the public is welcome to attend. There will be no public comment period at this meeting as this is a 'working' meeting for the NCRSG. This is the time to voice your concerns, before the April meeting.

Thanks!
Brandi
NCRSG_2010@yahoo.com