Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla
lookunderwater.com video thread

i need your old and new footage to help build a library of the ocean floor. you don't have to share exact coordinates if you have a place you don't want to give up i just need general areas.

here is a cool spot i dove this past winter

incredible sinkhole

Blue Marlin Surprise

pm me if you want to start contributing

Last edited by fishkilla; 12-20-2018 at 06:24 AM.
fishkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
CatDiver

Re: lookunderwater.com video thread

It's a pretty cool website. I'd really be curious to see not just the structure but what we saw at different locations and times of year. It would be hugely helpful. But very few of my videos are just one spot. I'll usually have multiple spots in the same video often from multiple trips. And most of my videos, I would have a hard time identifying what spot it was in different portions of the video. So I'm not a whole lot of help for you. FWIW I like the idea better for a private website of my own videos. If there was an easy app or installable software that made it easy to video log rough footage in the cloud with an interface like yours, I would pay for it and start logging dives that way.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
jfjf

Do the videos need to be uploaded to Vimeo, can they be copied over from youtube? Can they include music?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
fishkilla
Slayographer

cat you might be onto something with the private data base. i'll talk to my programmer and see what she thinks. my goal is to build a public data base that can help us all see the health of our fisheries, reefs and water. you don't need to share exact locations. i really would like to concentrate on very common numbers. places that everyone has and then work out from there.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
fishkilla
Slayographer

jfjf they do not need to be on vimeo. youtube is fine. i just have a vimeo subscription because it makes me feel like i still own them i guess. i know you have a wealth of video and data and would love for you to contribute. i can make you a member and show you how to add "listings." its very simple. i don't need anyones honey so you can leave off the last 3 or 4 digits on the coordinates if you want to keep them private.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
jfjf

If it is a matter of providing YouTube links and including the approximate coordinates, I think that should work. I have some videos from public artificial reefs-wrecks, so I am
Having a hard time seeing any negative consequences of participation in your project.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Is there supposed to be a video associated with the link? If so, how do I view it. Asking for a friend.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
fishkilla
Slayographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Is there supposed to be a video associated with the link? If so, how do I view it. Asking for a friend.
click on the date. that's the link to the video.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
fishkilla
Slayographer

common areas i think will be the most valuable locations for viewing changes since video will be shot on those places the most.

what i would like to see is video in the gulf of many undersized grouper. especially red grouper because i do not see more than 2 to 4 per trip. the red grouper in the big bend region of the gulf are gone.

August 2013 30 ft of water due west of indian rocks beach.

where does this exist now?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Wow, it was really cool to go back and see/visit some of my favorite spots on this site. It’s been over 20 years since I dove the Mushroom Rock and the Holsten wreck. That Mushroom rock held AJ’s just as good as any wreck I ever dove back in the mid to late 1980’s. We would always make that our last stop of the day to top off the boxes when we left the Middle Grounds to head home.

I believe the Holsten sunk during the “No Name Storm” on February 13th 1993. I dove it a few weeks later and that big loop of ropes was only about 45ft from the surface. I believe the deck of that boat is at 165’ and the bottom about 193’. Lots of great memories on your site Ben and keep em coming!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 12-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
click on the date. that's the link to the video.
This date...

Date Posted: Sep 18, 2018

Or the one down below it in the fancy blue font?

Neither has a link for me. I'm using Firefox
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
fishkilla
Slayographer

the "february 16 2018" should be a link to the video. not sure why that isn't working for you. we will check into it.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
fishkilla
Slayographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Wow, it was really cool to go back and see/visit some of my favorite spots on this site. Lots of great memories on your site Ben and keep em coming!
this is one of the cool things about this project. people being able to see sites that they either haven't been to in a while or have never been to.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
the "february 16 2018" should be a link to the video. not sure why that isn't working for you. we will check into it.
Working now.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
fishkilla
Slayographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Working now.
sweet.

i also would like to get feedback from you guys on what we can do to make the site better / more educational. i want this to be a resource on many different levels.