Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Adelito

Savespearfishing

SAVESPEARFISHING@GMAIL.COM

1)Please take two minutes of your time to write something about why you disagree with the closure of spearfishing in Biscayne national park.
(PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME,ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER)

2)After you do so please email to,

I will be forwarding all emails to the national park service, fwc, and other related goverment agencies.

The reason I would like for you to send me the email, is so the senders address can read,

SOME TOPIC IDEAS WE DISCUSSED YESTERDAY AT THE BROWARD LONGFINS MEETING

-DISCRIMINATION(SINGLING OUT SPEARFISHERMEN, ELIMINATING A SPORT)

-ECONOMICS(BOAT SALES,GAS,DIVE SHOPS,TOURISM)

-PERSONAL MEANING( DESCRIBING THE CONNECTION WE HAVE WITH THE OCEAN AS SPEAROS)

PLEASE PASS THE MESSAGE ALONG, MY GOAL IS 300 EMAILS

Thank you, Keep me busy!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
RichT

Re: Savespearfishing

Feel free to use the following reasons NOT do discriminate against spearfishing.

1. Extremely low bycatch as compared to other methods of harvest is probably the single most important reason not to discriminate against spearfishing.
A spearfisherman can actually see what it is, as well as the size, BEFORE that fish is harvested!

2. Spearfisherman are a very small percentage of overall harvesters.

3. Spearfisherman are bound by the very same recreational limits as other harvesters.

4. Spearfishing is less harmfull on essential fish habitat as there is no leftover fishing line littering reefs, piers, killing sea birds or other sea life.
There are no leftover hooks.(see above)
There are no leftover sinkers littering the bottom and no sinkers damaging the bottom.

5. If Spearfishing was such an "overly efficient" method of harvest then isnt it obvious that there would be a heck of a lot more commercial spearfisherman than there currently is?
According to my information, commerial spearfishing acounts for less than 5 percent of overall commercial take.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote