Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Whitney

Attaching float line to spear gun

Bit of a newbie to spearfishing so not exactly sure how to attach float line to the gun.
My spear gun doesnt have an attachment so is it okay to drill my own, it is a plastic handle will this be okay
Thanks Everyone
Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Re: Attaching float line to spear gun

Search for info. Many threads.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
AJP
Reluctant User

Search first. If you can't find what you're looking for that way, post a pic or two and give a few details.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

what type of gun do you have? the best way to get a quick answer here would be to post a picture of your gun's handle. it also depends on if you want to rig the floatline directly to your shooting line or to your gun

Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Whitney

I would wanna aatach the float line to the speargun.
I contacted Picasso and they saidyou cant connect this gun to float line so i was thinking maybe i could drill the handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas_adi.gif
Views:	639
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	205052  
Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
AJP
Reluctant User

You might try something like the following:

Repairing Omer Cayman speargun - YouTube

The video is specific to an Omer handle, but you could try something similar for the Picasso.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

if they say you cant, you probably cant. the handle most likely isnt strong enough to support the stress. go with a breakaway setup or use a reel

Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
AJP
Reluctant User

Push out the pin with something thin like a nail tapped by a hammer, pull off the yellow handle, take a picture or two, and post. Lets see...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Definitely go with the breakaway on that gun. If the handle isn't strong enough for a float line to be attached to it, I highly doubt the line anchor is strong enough for the setup anyway and the handle frame probably can't handle a reel's drag.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #10
spearq8

You are way over thinking this. Just drill a hole at the back end of your loading butt or through the bottom of your grip and make a loop with some spectra line. You can even tie it around the loading butt with the correct knot and avoid drilling through it. Your float line should have a tuna clip or even a snap swivel which you clip on. There really is not a lot of pressure from a float line with even a large fish tagged, and with the gun you have posted, the float line is just something to give you an additional margin of safety in case you need to let go of the gun and not worry about losing it. Sometimes a fish is hard to dislodge from a hole or is struggling too much and you just don't want to risk staying too long or forcing the flopper to come off.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

throw the gun away and then buy a gun that has a hole in the handle or a clip already attached, problem solved
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Ric.Fallu

I am with SpearQ8 - except I think even he is maybe over-engineering - you don't even have to have a shark clip, and can use knots to tie the gun to the float rig. Many a fine fish has been retrieved using second hand washing line.

On some guns I splice a lanyard through a hole in the stock and tie it to the float line with a simple simon knot - but that is fancier than you really need.

A rough rule of thumb to test strength is what I call the "swing test". Take the rig, and tie the float line to a high beam or branch, then try swinging off the various elements (Unless you have a really tall beam, you have to do this in stages - first the gun and shooting line, then the gun and float line).

If the gun and rig pass the swing test, it should handle just about any fish in the water, unless you are going for 100kg+ tuna or the like.

If something breaks, so be it - at least you didn't discover that in the water. Do a mod to strengthen the weak part and try again. Be gentle at first, and check to see if anything is likely to give. That way you might be able to fix it before it breaks.

Think safety - cover sharp points etc when doing the test and don't swing so that you have more than four inches or so to fall if something does break. Think about what might fall on your head. Remember that people have died falling off ladders.

Ric