Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
MAcK10

Send a message via AIM to MAcK10
9/32 or 5/16 Shaft?

Hey. I just wanted to know what peoples shaft diameter preference is and why? Especially for such fish as halibut,yellows, and wsb. I prefer a 5/16 myself because it seems to be stronger and hold the fish on a little better. What do you guys like? Thanks.
MAcK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Shawn

Re: 9/32 or 5/16 Shaft?

I think you're ridiculous.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
seacrecher
Registered Fish Killer

9/32 for Halibut and 5/16ths for WSB and YT.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

"Welcome to the Hotel California...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
seacrecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Bill McIntyre

I suppose that if you have a heavy enough gun to limit recoil and thick bands to launch it, a 5/16" shaft has more range and hitting power. But I have taken the majority of my white sea bass and yellowtail with a 9/32" shaft and have never bent one in a fish.

I think that a lot of people make the mistake of using a 5/16" shaft in a gun that is not built for it.

The slip tip or flopper is what holds a fish, and the shaft thickenss has nothing to do with it after it pushes the tip through the fish.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcK10
Hey. I just wanted to know what peoples shaft diameter preference is and why? Especially for such fish as halibut,yellows, and wsb. I prefer a 5/16 myself because it seems to be stronger and hold the fish on a little better. What do you guys like? Thanks.
yeah you need the 5/16" shaft when your up against big game like 1 1/2' leopard sharks and blue perch. I see lots of bent shafts with those fish.
Sorry, couldnt resist.

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Seacidal

Does anyone know which, if any, of the speargun makers are using the new 2101 stainless for their shafts? This stuff is looking like it's hot sh!t, and could make awesome shafts.

From the specs I've reviewed, it has the same corrosion resistance as high-end 316L stainless, but has twice! the strength (tensile and shear).

Apparently, while it's still a duplex alloy stainless, it should be priced comparably to current stainless alloys. It's considered a "lean" duplex, because of low Ni and Mb percentages. That's what keeps the price down, too.

Seacidal

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
mokaction
Larry Caragay

Man, I shot blue perch and sergo all the time with my 5/16 in shaft. Sometime the fish fight so hard they drag me down to the bottom and pull themself off my shaft. LOL..

Larry
mokaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Castor

9/32 Yellows get close and whites are soft meat. I have yet to not penetrate a fish with a 9/32 (I've missed plenty). 9/32 seems to really minimize recoil and allows me to weight my gun without having to add wood.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Seacidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor
9/32 Yellows get close and whites are soft meat. I have yet to not penetrate a fish with a 9/32 (I've missed plenty). 9/32 seems to really minimize recoil and allows me to weight my gun without having to add wood.
You're statements about YT and WSB are, generally, correct. However, what you neglect to consider is that to "stone" a fish, or get a REALLY solid shot, you need to penetrate (or break) bone or gill plate. Both of these are very solid materials, and the added mass and inertia of a larger shaft are beneficial in this regard. Not long ago, I shot a large fish moving by at a distance of approx. 10-12'. My shot missed the kill spot, and hit the gill plate. Despite using a 5/16" shaft and 3 x 5/8" bands, the shot failed to penetrate far enough for the slip tip to toggle. After a short fight, the tip pulled back out of the gill plate, and the fish swam away unharmed, except for its new cheek piercing. I thought to myself, on these big fish, don't shoot the gill plate, and "I need a bigger gun!"
Seacidal

Old 08-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal
You're statements about YT and WSB are, generally, correct. However, what you neglect to consider is that to "stone" a fish, or get a REALLY solid shot, you need to penetrate (or break) bone or gill plate. Both of these are very solid materials, and the added mass and inertia of a larger shaft are beneficial in this regard. Seacidal
I'm sure that's true, but I have stoned quite a few white sea bass with a 9/32" shaft. It seemed to penetrate the spine just fine. The gill plate may be another matter.

As I said previously, I think that some people use 5/16" shafts in guns that can't handle it, with a cost paid in reduced accuracy. But of course if a gun is heavy enough and has enough power to launch a 5/16" shaft accurately at the same speed that another gun launches a 9/32" shaft, then there is no doubt that the 5/16" will have more kinetic energy.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Seacidal

Bill,

You're quite correct. I didn't mean to imply that you can't stone a fish with a thinner shaft. It certainly can, and is, done. And you're also right that the shaft needs to be matched to the gun.

However, I think you'll agree with me that, for large fish (like big sea bass) there is an advantage to be had by using a shaft with more mass.

Recently, while filleting a sea bass, I was showing my wife the location where my spear shattered and passed through the fish's spine, I noted that the vertabrae were about as thick as my wrist (approx. 1 1/2"). Even with a 5/16" shaft, my shot was able to put only 3/4 of the shaft through the fish.

While I might not always need it, I don't mind carrying the bigger shaft. I figure it makes it that much less likely that I'll bend a shaft or tweak a tip. (although, if the new stainless alloy does what it claims, I might be inclined to change my mind.)

Seacidal

Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal
Bill,
However, I think you'll agree with me that, for large fish (like big sea bass) there is an advantage to be had by using a shaft with more mass.
Seacidal
The biggest one I've taken was with a 9/32" shaft, but I do agree with you. Hell, its been so long since I've shot a large white sea bass that I don't know what its like anyway.

You have really piqued my interest in this new shaft material.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Castor

Like Bill, I just don't see enough of these fish. If I was seeing large enough fish that the 9/32 wasn't penetrating I'd be the first guy to buy a 3/8 cannon.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
Bill McIntyre

Castor,

I think we need to move to Ventura.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
Bill McIntyre

Chip,

Now I understand all your success. When you used to dive with me, you weren't that good, so I was wondering how it was that you came up with all these big fish now. Its diving those Majorly Productive Areas that explains it.