Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
brandon cadalzo

120cm euro good for montauk/block

I'm in love with my new Abellan 90. Plenty of power and range. I'm considering purchasing an Abellan 120cm. Total length 57". Is this to much for that area? I also planned on maybe doing some bluewater with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: 120cm euro good for montauk/block

258 views and no replies!?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
sealark

Bunch of people dealing with a hurricane.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
lworski
lworski

100 to 120 will work pending viz. when real dirty a 90 but ive never used smaller. remember its New England lotta ego's to sooth.
lworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Yiannis
DEEP...DEEP…DEEPER

Brandon, I think you should buy the Abellan anyway

I personally believe that a 100cm is more than enough for SW ledge. See this video: https://vimeo.com/226500120, the fish was actually found to be 48lbs when weighted the next morning with a better scale, and it was taken with a 95cm. I have never felt like I need a bigger gun there but once, the only day with visibility of 40+ feet..
Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Behslayer

Check out those Roller's Dean is making. They're adjustable. Might be a good solution. I have a 120cm Band Stretch Rear Handle here I use as a boat gun for Mahi. I have it set up with a Bluewater Reel so if something else swam up I could take a shot. That gun with 2 hot 14.5mm bands and a 5/16" has 20' of kill range from the muzzle. So you need to think about if you would ever really take a shot like that on Bass. I don't think I've ever shot a bass from more than 10' from the muzzle and 95% of the time is closer than that. That extra range will not be your friend if you are smashing rocks and stringing every fish. I think the true match for clearer days is a 110 Band Stretch RH with a 7.5mm Shaft. Atleast that's what I use.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
brandon cadalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis View Post
Brandon, I think you should buy the Abellan anyway

I personally believe that a 100cm is more than enough for SW ledge. See this video: https://vimeo.com/226500120, the fish was actually found to be 48lbs when weighted the next morning with a better scale, and it was taken with a 95cm. I have never felt like I need a bigger gun there but once, the only day with visibility of 40+ feet..

All I can see is an advertisement to sign up for Vimeo pro

Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
iliwau

Have you considered a mid handle? I have a 55 inch mid handle that I use everywhere from Block Island (great vis) to Newport (meh vis) to Hawaii (exceptional vis). With a mid handle you can tuck it in closer for bad vis and it gives you great range when you extend your arm in good vis. I've only felt a mismatch when there is <5 feet of vis, then I wish I had a 70 cm hole gun.

For blue water you'll want something longer like a 63/65 inch gun, depending on what you want to shoot. I use a 65 inch mid handle for shooting wahoo back home, but last weekend I used a 90 cm pipe gun for mahi. If you want to shoot tuna, maybe something like a 65/67 or larger.
iliwau is offline   Reply With Quote