Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
grey2112

36" Cobia minimum size proposed - thoughts?

http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2018/gu...ulQHc0zMCzgy3Y

I don't mind a 1 per person limit, and 2 per boat. But 36" minimum? Tough enough in our area to find one that is 33"
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
CatDiver

Re: 36" Cobia minimum size proposed - thoughts?

I can’t find one to save my life which means I probably don’t need an increase but also maybe we do need an increase so I see more
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2018/gu...ulQHc0zMCzgy3Y

I don't mind a 1 per person limit, and 2 per boat. But 36" minimum? Tough enough in our area to find one that is 33"
Agree, unless I see some data about their breeding habits that convinces me otherwise. From my experience these gov't funded fishery councils rarely have the public in mind. They'll make new laws everyday to pad their resume for promotion unless there is protest from the resource users that make them look bad.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
CuzzA

I don't know. You don't see many these days. I recall catching them all the time hook and line years ago. I've only seen one diving in the past few years and it was with a bull shark. Granted we don't dive wrecks often and aren't chumming in bull sharks, but still. One in a couple hundred dives?

Regs do work. Look at the ARS. We have a season again, one that most believe will be sustainable. Yes it sucked the past several years, but they are breeding like crazy now. Gags and hogs are looking bigger. I see more bigger hogs than I did when I started a few years ago.

But I'm open to the possibility I'm wrong and my anecdote isn't the reality. I do know fisheries management strives to allow certain species to reach reproductive age. Makes sense. IIRC, that doesn't happen for Cobia until about 36". Again, not 100% sure on that.

Anyway, I don't think it was the Council pushing this. It was anglers.

Minimum Size for Gulf Cobia to Increase
Gulf of Mexico Fishery Managers Increase Cobia Size Limits to Address Concerns of Anglers

Many anglers who fish the northern Gulf of Mexico have expressed concern over a perceived decline in the Gulf cobia population. As a result of that, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council has announced plans to modify the commercial and recreational minimum size limit for Gulf cobia in federal waters to a 36-inch fork length.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 AM   #5
grey2112

Hmmm, will have to do some research. I think the biggest issue with cobia has been the overfishing up in the Panhandle and AL, MS, LA
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Hmmm, will have to do some research. I think the biggest issue with cobia has been the overfishing up in the Panhandle and AL, MS, LA
http://www.asmfc.org/species/cobia
Male cobia typically reach sexual maturity by 2 years (generally 2 feet long), while females are sexually mature by 2-3 years (generally 3 feet long). Females grow to be larger than males, and may reach 6 feet and weigh up to 100 pounds. An extended spawning season occurs from late June to mid-August along the Southeastern U.S. and from late summer to early fall in the Gulf. Cobia are broadcast spawners; a single female may spawn many times each season. Cobia make seasonal migrations, wintering in the south and moving north for the summer months. They are drawn to structure to feed and find shelter from predation. Juveniles and adults are often found around live bottom, wrecks, and buoys, as well as flotsam and seaweed mats. Their diet consists primarily of fish and crustaceans.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

There is no doubt there are far fewer cobia now than there was 10+ years ago. Likely due to the huge increase in fishing pressure as well as a reduced breeding population. You don’t need a college degree to know we need to do something. Been years since I’ve seen one over 40#s. 15 years ago you could get them bigger than that nearly every trip.

As with most all species we hunt the NMF has waited way too long to protect fish Helen Keller could see were in trouble. The fact that anglers had to voice concerns is very telling and I wholeheartedly agree with the proposed actions.

If you can barely find a cobia 33” where you used to be able to shoot 48”+...... we have a problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Agree, unless I see some data about their breeding habits that convinces me otherwise. From my experience these gov't funded fishery councils rarely have the public in mind. They'll make new laws everyday to pad their resume for promotion unless there is protest from the resource users that make them look bad.
After hours and hours of looking over data I found out something I never would have guessed.....

Not keeping smaller fish allows them to grow larger, larger fish produce more eggs, and with more eggs you have a higher chance of those fish reaching maturity, and the cycle continues....
Old 10-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

The panhandle of Florida has seen some monsters showing up in good numbers. I've had several friends say that 60 plus pounders are the norm.
I've recently been on wrecks with numbers of them circling the boat.
Do we have as many of them as we did TENs years ago...I think not. But what do we have as many of as we did ten years ago. Enter the human element. Enter the commercial element. Raping of the oceans resources doesn't happen by just the recreational anglers. We are allowed a few fish, maybe just one but the commercial boys are allowed tonnes. Yup, that's fair. I've been in Florida longer than most of you have been alive and I've seen the changes and have shed the tears because of it. And, I've seen the reasons for the changes first hand. Can we change it... No. The voice is not heard or really desired. The politicians with their hands out behind will out shout all of you together. So, we are stuck with what they shell out to us and then try to make us feel good for it.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
The panhandle of Florida has seen some monsters showing up in good numbers. I've had several friends say that 60 plus pounders are the norm.
Do we have as many of them as we did TENs years ago...I think not. But what do we have as many of as we did ten years ago. Enter the human element. Enter the commercial element. Raping of the oceans resources doesn't happen by just the recreational anglers. We are allowed a few fish, maybe just one but the commercial boys are allowed tonnes. Yup, that's fair. I've been in Florida longer than most of you have been alive and I've seen the changes and have shed the tears because of it. And, I've seen the reasons for the changes first hand. Can we change it... No. The voice is not heard or really desired. The politicians with their hands out behind will out shout all of you together. So, we are stuck with what they shell out to us and then try to make us feel good for it.
...... Cobia trip limit on a commercial boat is the same as a recreational boat. 2per person, 6 per boat. However there are far more recreational anglers than commercial fishermen. Just saying.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #11
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
The Gulf commercial fishermen have only harvested 32% of their reduced ACL to date so if panhandle guys are pounding them it must be some super secret thing going on. I personally have been working from the hatch to Crystal river as hard as I’ve ever been as a sporty and have seen 2 cobia the whole year.

Gags, AJs and ARS are better than they’ve been in years but cobia need some help. Hogs and red grouper really need help where I hunt as they still haven’t fully recovered from the last red tide. It sure is quite a coincidence that the most heavily managed fish are doing great but the less managed species are in trouble and happen to be the least targeted by commercials...... Hmmmmm
Old 10-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
dkay

I usually cringe when I hear that they are upping the minimum size or reducing bag limits but this change doesn't bother me. Usually when I see a cobia these days, which isn't often, it's either well under size or well over. I haven't seen one in many years that is in the questionable range so if the change won't really affect my hunting and help the cobia population rebound, then I'm all for it.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
CatDiver

Have seen exactly what moose described in St Pete Clearwater over the last 4 years. Gags, AJs and ARS doing better. Hogs worse. Red grouper way worse. I doubt I’ve seen 5 Cobia of any size in that time period.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #14
Alec

36” is a healthy size, 33” was a juvenile fish imo. Females don’t reach sexual maturity until 36
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
OWS

The big mature females are targeted by the Billfish fleet early in the season for their tournaments with huge Calcuttas. They are extremely successful using tuna towers and drones to spot them. The winning pots are hundreds of thousands. I personally think the tourneys should go to a release format, length, weight, quantity or whatever. To easy to document today, these guys don't even care about eating them they will be dining on their wagu steak for dinner. They take their outriggers off and mount chairs on the bow with buckets for their bait, $5 eels and are guided by spotters in the tuna towers. Also casters in the tower and once they hookup they pass the rod down
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote