Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Re: spearfishing Nicaragua

Rosstnfound do you know a gringo by the name of Mike Moremen who lives in Guasacate? He's a buddy of mine who has lived down there for around 10 years. I spent a month with him a few years back. The surf was epic, but I was kicking myself for not bringing dive gear! I think he might do a little bit of Spearfishing too.
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Steineken

i'm coming to nica this friday and debating whether to bring my travel pole spear and some basic gear.

ill be in popoyo mostly but might travel down to san juan area, where are you located and do you think its worth bringing kit this time of year?
Steineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Steineken

Do you think the pole spear would risk being taken?
Steineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Sebastianreub

@slim how was your trip, where did you go?

@steineken how about you?

I'm planning to go in june, trying to plan my trip. As of now I think I am going to disassemble my gun and try to pass through customs
Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
speargun666

Can I still bring a travel pole spear into the country? Any updates?
speargun666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #21
Nitronarcosis

Same questions as the previous two posts.

Also going to be in Nica in June @Sebastian. Going to dive Little Corn, SJDS and somewhere north of there. Probably just packing a 3 piece polespear and detachable fins. Where are you at in your planning?
Nitronarcosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronarcosis View Post
Same questions as the previous two posts.

Also going to be in Nica in June @Sebastian. Going to dive Little Corn, SJDS and somewhere north of there. Probably just packing a 3 piece polespear and detachable fins. Where are you at in your planning?
Yes Corn. Big Corn has some good spots for pelagics. Little Corn is super cool and good spearing as well. June should have good water condition there.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
Nitronarcosis

Spearfishing Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosstnfound View Post
Yes Corn. Big Corn has some good spots for pelagics. Little Corn is super cool and good spearing as well. June should have good water condition there.
Thanks Ross. I've read that spearing in the Corn Islands is technically illegal for foreigners, but there's locals that will take you and the fine is only $15 for the 1st offense anyway. What was your experience with this?

Also, do you know if there's anyone that rents guns or will take you out on Corn or any of the other locations I mentioned? Was thinking about just bringing a pole spear to hunt lion fish with, but would like go after some pelagics or reef fish too if they're not threatened species.
Nitronarcosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #24
slim
lionel

Re: spearfishing Nicaragua Corn Island

Gents, this is going to be a long post.

So I ended up going to the Corn islands for some spearfishing overall it was fantastic but with a few bittersweet memories.

The bad news: My spearguns were taken by customs, they were as incognito and dismantled as possible but the second they saw a barb in that scanner they said no ways. (they scan every bags when you enter)

You can apply for a permit to import your spearguns once you are in the country by going to the main police station in Managua, the dirtbags at costums have all of the info. unfortunately they are only open on weekdays from 9-4 (I arrived a saturday) and I am told the process takes about a day.

Important point, if your gear is confiscated you have to pay about 2$ per day for them to store it and then you can pick it up when you leave. Pay that fee immediately or else if you leave outside of the cashier’s office hours (10-3pm MWF) kiss your gear goodbye. I left on a Sunday so I lost my three handmade guns may they rest in peace.

The Good: I managed to rent out spearguns from one of the guys on spearboard.

We flew directly to big corn island. Awesome place, nice people pretty cheap. The locals speak an interesting language mixed English Spanish and creole which makes for nice conversations. Turns out there is no ciguatera there so we can eat barracudas! The locals will tell you all sorts of stories about man eating barracudas which are obviously BS.

The best spots are on the north shore where there is an extensive reef however it remains quite shallow. No deeper than 20 feet. If you want to find depths with nice snappers and the likes you have to swim out about 1.5 miles. The northern most east shore is also good and a bit deeper about 45 ft but often has larger waves, which makes the return to shore tricky.
My favorite in shore spot for fishing was actually the southern most point. The reef is not so good but there were 100s of barracudas, snappers and hogs.

THE spot to go to when you visit the corn islands is a pinnacle called blowing rock. 5 nautical miles from big corn in the south east.
It cost us 300usd per outing which is not bad.
Crystal clear waters, visibility beyond 100ft. very large snappers, AJ, barracudas but lots of shark. To make matters worst the only one of my dive buddy who did not have sea sickness that day was a vegan therefore pretty useless at fending off sharks. The only fish I managed to get on the boat unharmed were barracudas which the sharks seem to dislike.

You can spearfish on little corn but I think it is a waste of time as it is in the opposite direction from the really good spot, blowing rock.
I hope this helps some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blowing rock 2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	226104   Click image for larger version

Name:	blowing rock 3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	226105   Click image for larger version

Name:	blowing rock.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	226106   Click image for larger version

Name:	confiscated spearguns.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	226107   Click image for larger version

Name:	shore diving north east.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	226108  

Click image for larger version

Name:	shore diving south point.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	226109  
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #25
cedric09

Nice sharing!! Thanks
cedric09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #26
Sebastianreub

im going next month, after everyones suggestions I will not take my disassembled gun. I am just going to take my polespear with a slip tip, any thoughts on whether this would pass or not? I will be packing it in my board bag with surfboard.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
slim
lionel

are you going by yourself? I would dismantle it in half and have one person walk with one half and you with the other
Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #28
Sebastianreub

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
are you going by yourself? I would dismantle it in half and have one person walk with one half and you with the other
no im going with a buddy, have you tried this in nica?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #29
slim
lionel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastianreub View Post
no im going with a buddy, have you tried this in nica?
yea well I tried and failed. I myself passed with the speargun handle mechanisms and debarbed spears but my friend got "caught" with the spearguns. It is not that big a deal to try. worst comes to worst they will hold it for the duration of your trip. Just make sure you pay for the storage so that you can get it back on your way out
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #30
wells_spearguns

Anyone have any success bringing a gun in disassembled?
wells_spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote