Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > OMER Hatteras Blue Water Open - 2006

OMER Hatteras Blue Water Open - 2006 2006 is the 5th year of this invitational meet that will be held in Hatteras, North Carolina over three days, from Friday July 28th to Sunday July 30th, 2006.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #31
fish til udrown

Location: palos verdes but go to CMA and spend a lot of time there
Re: Hatteras Tournament Results?

What a meet!!

Soo much fun! Especially meeting all the kick ass right coast divers. You guys are nuts, ill take the whites over bulls any day!!!

Hope I can make it back next year to dive with you guys again!!

take care everyone and dive safe!

and by the way , if anyone has any pics from hatteras and feels like sharing them my e-mail is fish-til-udrown@earthlink.net

-Ryan Moore

fish til udrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #32
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Ryan,
Griff says you can come back anytime. I had a blast diving with you. You definitely lived up to the hype.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #33
Dignan
Ryan Davis

I had a great time with everyone; friendliest bunch of folks i've ever met! Look forward to diving with all you guys in the future...

Thanks Mark and family, you guys showed everyone a heck of a time!
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #34
PV_Spearo
Addicted Fish Raper

Send a message via AIM to PV_Spearo

Guys,
I had a blast this year. Although the weather didn't turn out to be the best, it was still a great time and we made some fun out of it anyways.

I had a couple crazy encounters on the last day, which just reminds me of how WILD Hatteras is. Anything can happen out there, and this meet is not for the faint of heart or unexperienced diver.

My 3rd drift on our 1st wreck of the morning in about 120ft, Im down at 80ft hanging, and about to come up, when I see a ~20 lb African, swimming away from me, so I play the cat and mouse game and it comes in a litle for a far shot. I take the shot from 15+ ft out, solid shot. Time for me to head up, so I let the line slide thru my hands and make it to the surface. I get the fish up to the shooting line as I drift over the wreck and all the sand tigers. I go down and grab the fish by the tail and get my other arm around its head as I see a shark heading up towards me. I thought it was a sand tiger at first, so I wasnt worried, but soon the Shark is 10ft away from me hauling a$$ and not slowing down. I put my elbow up in front of me since I have no time to drop the fish or get my gun in front of me. The shark, which turned out to be a 12-13ft Bull, ran right into me, mouth open trying to get my fish, Slammed his nose right into my elbow, and quickly recieved my knee into his chin. Then the shark spun around my side and kept circling me, not going farther than about 3ft away from me the whole time. I took my head out of the water for half a second to see where the boat was and Yell for help, and I could feel my fins hitting the shark. The shark stayed with me the entire time until I made it onto the boat, and I never let go of the fish. There was a scuba charter boat anchored fairly closeby and they thought I was getting eaten.

A couple hours later, on a different wreck in 90ft of water, I pass over a HUGE baitball of cigar minnows. There are a few Cuda over it, and Im paying attention as something BIG blasts thru the bait. 5 seconds later, a 90-100lb Tuna comes swimming right by me on the surface. I take a bout a quarter breath of air then dive parallel to the fish. The fish was broadside me at about 20ft away, and I knew i had to close the gap since I had my 130 with only 2 bands. As soon as the fish turned away I took 3 strong kicks and got 15ft away. I took the shot and Hit the fish 1/3 the way down from the head in the spine. The fish started quivering and I went up to take a breath. I went back down and grabbed the fish by the tail but I couldnt fit my hands around it, what a BIG FISH!! The fish was quivering like crazy and I couldnt get it under control. The fish took me upside down and then I watched the shaft fall right out of the fish. I tried my best to control the fish by putting my arms and legs around it, but It was waking up and my mask kepth getting knocked and filled with water. I couldnt hold on and the fish slipped away. LAME
This whole event took place in less than 20 seconds from when I first saw the fish.

Anyways, If my BUDDIES wold have been sticking around Both of these situations would have turned out a lot better. The shark probably would have been shot and saves my ass a few gray hairs and a brown wetsuit, and that tuna could have been landed with a second shot.
So ALWAYS Make sure your buddies are closeby.

Mark and Family, once again another GREAT event, I look forward to going next year, can't wait!!

Brandon

Last edited by PV_Spearo; 08-05-2006 at 02:23 PM.
PV_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #35
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

That is some extreme stuff. Glad you are ok. Makes for a great story now though!
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #36
Reelfrogman

Guys,
It took me a week to recover form not only the tournament, but all the work waiting for me when I got home (I'll take the workout in Hatteras any day)!
This was one of the best tournaments I have ever participated in. Several reasons: First, was because of all of the participants. Everyone of them that I spoke to were all FIRST CLASS. I met some new friends and learned alot as well (Thanks Rene, Ralph, and Larry). Mark is a class act and knows how to take care of his participants!! Also, I love to shoot fish over the wrecks, and, Hatteras has to be one of the best places to shoot. Lots of wrecks and lots of fish (flat seas, no sharks, ans no current).
Brandon and Ryan, sorry us old farts had to retire early for our Geritol.
Richard, next year you can tow me back to the marker buoy so that I can make another drop.
Chris, Guy, and Gary, you guys were great to hang out with and do our thing ( shoot fish and talk about p___y!!
Mark, I hope to be back next year and I won't be a debutante!
Reelfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #37
TriggerFish

The tournament was awesome. A lot of details have already been covered. But this is the first chance I have had to post since the event. Landing the big 80lb AJ was a blast. I felt like Michael Jordan by the end of the first day of hunting. But was humbled to 6th place by the end of the tourny but some excellent divers.

It was great diving with Gary in the '05 tournament and although we weren't on the same boat in '06, it was great to see him and rest of the divers from tournaments past.

Hadn't seen anyone post it yet, so here's a shot of the tournament board.

Thanks to Mark and everyone. It's consistantly a pleasure to co-sponsor and be a part of this tournament.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	1626
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	35928   Click image for larger version

Name:	gary.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	35929  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #38
Reelfrogman

Matt,
You should have felt like MJ that was a BIG AJ!!!!!!!!! Great to meet you, and thanks for supporting the tourneys!!

Wayne
Reelfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #39
Gary Sanchez

Matt,
It was great seeing you at the dock, because when I last saw you at sea your boat had caught about 10 foot of air! And your captain didn’t even think about letting off. This was a great tournament and truly an honor to be in the same room with you guys. Rene, Ralph, Larry, Bill and all the young GUNS it was great seeing you all and meeting some of you for the first time. Matt thanks for supporting all these tournaments.

Gary
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #40
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Glad you had a great time Matt! I had the pleasure of diving the 2002 tourney with the "Wanchese Pirates." They are one of the satiest, crazy crews I have ever been around...and probably the most fun. Billy and Joey's uncle is a legend. Who else will volunteer to go out in the conditions we were in all weekend just for shits and giggles? On top of that, he might be the only man on earth who can mix a vodka drinka while captaining a 26' regulator 40 miles offshore at 25kts in 6' short chop and not spill a drop??? He should have gotten some sort of award at the banquet...

Matt
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #41
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

I loved Matt's story about how the Ghostship suddenly stopped and he started to wonder if they were giving up or the boat was breaking apart. Poppa Joey said- Hell no, I just need another rum drink! Hold on, Son! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh That is the spirit.

It is one thing to go toe to toe with Billy or Joey Daniels underwater, but it is a whole 'nother game to take on either of those boys in bean bag shuffleboard (See Also, missed day of diving). As they say in Wanchese- THEM BOYS IS GOOD!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #42
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Damn...I hate that I missed that. Instead Bob and I were doing a 50mile tour of nothing on our liquorcycles. Hmmm 25kt winds, blowing sand and a couple of 49cc scooters w/ governors set at 30mph...seemed like a good idea. The dumb and dumber quotes were the only thing that kept me going...that and the sight of Bob who is 6'8" on the scooter. Looked like he was giving a turtle the ol' spider monkey move. You could barely see the moped. I still don't understand how we came back from Ocracoke alone???? There was room for two...and a fat chick on the back would have really completed the picture.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #43
TriggerFish

Matt you nailed it.
I think it was Joey who after a very solid spine jarring impact said " Thank you Mam. May I have another? " Which was funny as hell to me at that moment. I must be bit masochistic because I can't wait to do it again next year. And what a visual, Bob Humphrey on a scooter with a big girl. Too funny.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #44
johnspear23

Guys,

The tournament was an awesome experience. Coming form New Jersey you don't get exposed to blue water hunting like you do in many other areas so you end up having to teach yourself. It was really cool meeting all of the legends that I have always read about and learning new techniques from the other divers. I can't wait to come back next year and represent Jerzey style……

John Majeski
johnspear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #45
TriggerFish

Well It will be great to see you again, a respectable 12th from the Jersey Kid. Also a well done to my friend Mike Jette ( CT Freediver ) who took 10th in his first year. Way to go Mike!