Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
bakir_sonic
Bakir

30 min breath hold + save lives?

Quote:
researchers at Boston Children's Hospital has designed tiny, gas-filled microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate the blood
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0627142512.htm

I was wondering if you were to inject yourself with this could you have a breath hold of 30 min? hahahah i cant see this as being safe at all

But in all seriousness, do you guys think this could help with blackouts that happen at depth or in cases where you want to get oxygen to a victim of swb?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: 30 min breath hold + save lives?

That is super neat. That would certainly make CPR much more effective if used properly. I don't think this is for the masses, as most people would fumble around for a vein instead of continuing with CPR, and the victim would be worse off for the wait.

Most SWB victims would have lungs filled with water, I'd imagine? I'm not sure how hard it is to get the water out during CPR so that the CPR can be effective at getting oxygen into the blood.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Otis Driftwood
"the hold out pic"

A PIC hooked up to a diabetes pump with this juice in it that is triggered by a o2 meter...
Otis Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
bakir_sonic
Bakir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Driftwood View Post
A PIC hooked up to a diabetes pump with this juice in it that is triggered by a o2 meter...
sorry I don't know what a PIC is. but are you talking about having a continuous supply running through your blood without breathing?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
That is super neat. That would certainly make CPR much more effective if used properly. I don't think this is for the masses, as most people would fumble around for a vein instead of continuing with CPR, and the victim would be worse off for the wait.

Most SWB victims would have lungs filled with water, I'd imagine? I'm not sure how hard it is to get the water out during CPR so that the CPR can be effective at getting oxygen into the blood.
I think it's application for divers would be mostly deep water blackout. To my understanding most SWB victims do not get water in their lungs until about the point when the body is truly out of O2 (not just blacking out for 'protection') and the larynx relaxes and they do a terminal gasp, which if the airway is underwater, will allow water to enter. Deep water blackout tends to be more serious and frequently fatal since it might happen at a depth where pressure differential between lungs and water causes the lungs to flood and by the time they get the diver up their lungs are too saturated too work at all. I guess you could inject this stuff to stave off brain damage long enough to sump them.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote