Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
HogDoc

Outer Banks July 10-15

Hello, guys.....

New to the forum, but have saved myself a LOT of trial and error headaches by surfing the threads.

In that line, I'm headed to the Outer Banks (staying in Corolla) this summer (July 10-15) and I had a couple of questions:

1) Anybody going to be in the area at that time that would be interested in splitting a charter? I plan on going out every day, weather permitting; no scuba for me- freedive only, intermediate skill level (50-60 feet comfortably).

2) Anybody recommend (or, alternately, steer me clear of) any particular charter outfit(s)?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
HogDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Mahi Maniac

Re: Outer Banks July 10-15

Depends. Where are you trying to dive? Oregon Inlet? Hatteras? Wrecks? Inshore? Bluewater? A few charters have been recommended on here before and there's some of us that'll charter a boat fairly often when we know we'll kill fish and can't find another ride offshore.

If you plan on diving everyday I assume you'll be shore diving a lot? My advice right now is avoid the OI bridge. They are building a new one right beside it and that will present a few new challenges to an already dangerous spot.

All that being said, July isn't a bad time to go. Weather tends to be good and there's decent fish around but certain more accessible spots get a lot of pressure in July and August.
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
HogDoc

Wow- thanks for that quick response!

I was thinking of diving the wrecks, and maybe throwing in an open water dive or two- I'm not a huge fan of inshore diving, as where I live and dive (Maine), the vis usually sucks inshore, plus "too easy to get to" usually translates to "no fish".

Chartering boats every day can get a bit pricey, but what the hell- I'm on vacation

Will definitely avoid the bridge situation you described- I watched a couple of videos from that area, and it looked pretty dicey what with the boats and current.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Mahi Maniac

The wrecks usually refers to Hatteras. Couple of decent charters down there. African Pompano are usually the target species with the occasional Wahoo/Mahi thrown in but the thing about Hatteras is it's very difficult diving and literally anything could be on the wrecks. Go with guys who've been diving there before.

As far as inshore diving goes...cobia are illegal past 3 miles. There's a lot of dive spots for beginners to hit which means teenagers in boardshorts with 3 prong spears shooting 5" spades anytime the waters clear. But it's not unheard of for a bunch of guys to be walking back up the beach complaining that there's no fish and then you swim out and shoot a nice stringer. So don't rule out the shore diving just don't expect to be shooting 60lb cobia and 10lb sheepshead every time you swim out.
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
HogDoc

Thanks, man- appreciate the help
Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
Daniel B

I was thinking of going up July 14 to 17 to do some spearfishing. I have not made up my mind about the destination, but NC was near the top. Sounds like we will be missing each other though if you are leaving on the 15th. Let me know though.
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
HogDoc

Yeah, those dates are kind of set in stone for me- damn job keeps getting in the way of my spearfishing.