Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 AM   #16
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: DIY Mono Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Get a length of large diameter coated copper wire cut. twist a loop on one side wrap around waist and push the other end through loop and flip over. Dont need extra parts special tools anything. Takes less than 3 minutes 44 seconds to make. A spool is pennies and lasts 4.44 years. Mo betta
That's a good Idea too. I wouldn't go smaller than a 16 AWG. 12 AWG or 10 AWG might be on LARGER end. Think THHN for type.

If you want thicker Insulator, buy 600V vs 300V that is most common.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #17
SpearOfDestiny1

For only $12.99 take the worries of not losing your fish with a great convenience!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	314AA2lUG2L__AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	222885  
SpearOfDestiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
SJ_Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearOfDestiny1 View Post
For only $12.99 take the worries of not losing your fish with a great convenience!!!
I second this. I have a mono stringer and its nothing but a pain. Spend the $12 and get the hoop. It's simple and quick and it doesn't get tangled. That's my $.02
SJ_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
Ren

Quote:
lol Ian let me know when you're gonna pick up your suit and we'll go
dive!

That being said I'll probably pick one up black friday but I haven't lost a fish with the first stringer yet.

I'll probably end up making a stringer (he calls it a kui) like Phil and drill it through my lead weight so in case I need to drop the belt it's easier.

Pics incoming!

I'll also try what 2fishin2 said. Thanks everyone for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I do like one slight modification to the stringer shown. I like the total length to be reletively short (about 18-20" is plenty). Instead of coiling them as shown, I thread a short piece of polespear rubber onto the mono when I make the loop. the rubber is about 1-1/2" long, and I stick the pointy end of the spike into that to keep everything secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nextPlus_image1023_2015_18275.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	222887   Click image for larger version

Name:	nextPlus_image1023_2015_18273.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	222888  
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #20
SpearOfDestiny1

I think imma go ride out to j and j for a black Friday sale.but I went diving Friday night and I was fine believe it or not was in the water for 90 minutes.What I did is put my suit on at home and rode out to mission.I maintained my body heat.

#lobstermission
SpearOfDestiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #21
phil herranen

Quote:
thats more of a tank diver / beginer stringer . very few freedivers use that type , they are loud (hitting weights ,rocks ,your gun ) , and snag on the bottom .and thrashing fish will pop them open and get off . most of us used that type when we started but moved on to a kui or copper wire as we learned more , the copper wire works but ive lost all my fish before coming back in threw large surf , and in thick kelp

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
thats more of a tank diver / beginer stringer . very few freedivers use that type , they are loud (hitting weights ,rocks ,your gun ) , and snag on the bottom .and thrashing fish will pop them open and get off . most of us used that type when we started but moved on to a kui or copper wire as we learned more , the copper wire works but ive lost all my fish before coming back in threw large surf , and in thick kelp
Are there any huge cons of making the kui with 6061 aluminum rod? I can drill through the aluminum much easier than SS and can find 3/8" and 1/2" cheap at my local metal supply store.
(They charge $2.30/lb for surplus aluminum and/or SS)
Wondering where I can find a cheap mono crimper too since I only have the electrical wire crimpers.

My local metal supply store also has 304/316 SS rods but I don't think they'll cut them for me (must buy 10-20ft).

I know other people usually go "why bother going through all the trouble when you can just buy a stringer" but I'm always curious to see how close I can get to production quality gear.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
phil herranen

Alu is fine but won't hold a point , I use my kui for opening shackles ,braining fish ,and opening beer . So stainless holds up better . J&j ,bass pro , spear America ,and sturgil all have mono crimper that should be in the $25 range

Last edited by phil herranen; 11-24-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #24
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Quote:
As Phil already noted this is a beginner stringer and highly dangerous for freedivers. Very good for competition having it on the kayak though since it is easy to observe your fish and easy to take fish off or put on.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
Ren

Thanks everyone. Hoping to drive up to spearamerica on friday (if I'm not diving hehe) and pick up some tools/swag.

EDIT:

Slowly making progress. Here's an off center hole that I put into the rod that I had for the first stringer. I flattened the rod on my bench grinder before drilling.

This one should hold calicos okay, but ideally will make the rod longer/replace with SS later down the line.

Last edited by Ren; 11-24-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #26
Linghunt

So you are using the bench grinder for Aluminum?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #27
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Thanks everyone. Hoping to drive up to spearamerica on friday (if I'm not diving hehe) and pick up some tools/swag.

EDIT:

Slowly making progress. Here's an off center hole that I put into the rod that I had for the first stringer. I flattened the rod on my bench grinder before drilling.

This one should hold calicos okay, but ideally will make the rod longer/replace with SS later down the line.

That will be fine , stick it in one eye and out the other , don't go threw the gills you will have fish tear/fall off .

Don't use a grinder on alu it will load up the wheel and can make it blow up

Old 11-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #28
FreediveCA

That last one looks much better. Will that rubber hold the pin when getting tugged by kelp/dragging fish, I wonder. Perhaps if the rubber is cut long enough to allow the pin to go as far in as where you have your hole drilled it will be more secure.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #29
Linghunt

You can actually use a grinder for aluminum. You just need to have the correct wheel for this material that will NOT clog up like the typical Aluminum Oxide wheel found on a grinder.

As you fill/clog the wheel up with Aluminum and continue to attempt grinding the heat buildup will increase, keep pushing and it will explode or fracture into lots of pieces.

Another issue is the mix of different materials that are in say a dust form. You can have BAD results here.

I got a couple grinders, I tend to just use these for tool bit sharpening.

It's extremely rare that I would put the part you are making on the grinder.

Last edited by Linghunt; 11-25-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: TYPOS
Linghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
That last one looks much better. Will that rubber hold the pin when getting tugged by kelp/dragging fish, I wonder. Perhaps if the rubber is cut long enough to allow the pin to go as far in as where you have your hole drilled it will be more secure.

Guess I'll use the file or Dremel next time.
I've got extra rubber so maybe will make it longer when I replace the rod.

Thanks Phil and John, didn't know that about bench grinders.

EDIT: I do most of the deburring and finishing of aluminum with file and mini belt sander tool.