Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
5am

Re: Red and Green Monsters of Malibu

gnarly
Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #32
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
Well I have to say I really hate you now. Last night I was doing some lobstering and I came across the big "cabezon" so I though "I'll grab the bastard", went full force with both hands dealing out the death grip. Then, OH FU*k. I should have taken more time on the ID because the cab had some nasty ass spines that lodged into my thumb.... I let the California scorpionfish go... I thought about eating him but I didn't want him stabbing me the whole dive.

Before there are any negative comments, if I was spearing I would have taken a lot more time before and did a proper ID and length measurement before I shot, but hand grabs are easy to release. Although sometimes painful.
Ouch. Take care of that thumb, scorpionfish stings can get nasty if not taken care of. Its not just the venom, either, those spines have a lot of bacteria on them --> infection.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #33
Novice Dave

Quote:
Well I have to say I really hate you now. Last night I was doing some lobstering and I came across the big "cabezon" so I though "I'll grab the bastard", went full force with both hands dealing out the death grip. Then, OH FU*k. I should have taken more time on the ID because the cab had some nasty ass spines that lodged into my thumb.... I let the California scorpionfish go... I thought about eating him but I didn't want him stabbing me the whole dive.

Before there are any negative comments, if I was spearing I would have taken a lot more time before and did a proper ID and length measurement before I shot, but hand grabs are easy to release. Although sometimes painful.

Well I too attempted the Ming the Merciless last night - well not exactly - I used my 3" Cressi Blade - but I was damn sure I didn't pull a Nerka and get tangled up with a 21" Sculpin. ("Pull a Nerka" would be a good band name BTW)

Stabazon went 6 lbs even after it was gutted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STABazon.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	138354  
Novice Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #34
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice Dave View Post
Well I too attempted the Ming the Merciless last night - well not exactly - I used my 3" Cressi Blade - but I was damn sure I didn't pull a Nerka and get tangled up with a 21" Sculpin. ("Pull a Nerka" would be a good band name BTW)

Stabazon went 6 lbs even after it was gutted
Nice fish! My hand healed up nicely with some antibiotic cream, ready to grab another!! Get any bugs?
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #35
Novice Dave

got a few this weekend - no overly photogenic ones though
Novice Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #36
DBF
...At Tulane University

Quote:
Nice fish! My hand healed up nicely with some antibiotic cream, ready to grab another!! Get any bugs?
Darwin Award