Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
mshsu1

Malibu Biatch Report

With the bad conditions, I decided to be a little biatch and use scuba for the opener this AM. I arrived and found the south swell pounding away. My 2 buddies pussied out before entry. After I swam out through the surf, the viz was actually a pretty decent 3 feet. "HELL YEAH!" I screamed through my regulator. That's plenty good for bugs and triple what is needed.

There was a bad surge, but I signaled a thumbs up sign to have the more experienced guy come in. I wanted only the experienced guy to dive and for the novice one to sit out, but then I noticed both guys were getting ready to come in. Shit....if that novice guy comes in, he'll probably get killed. I wasn't sure how to give the official "don't come into the water" sign, but I pointed at him and made a big "X" with my arms. This seemed to work, especially with a 5 foot roller coming by.

Well, my experienced buddy and I dropped down shortly, and I immediately lose him in the bad conditions. Bugs were everywhere though. Lots of legals too, but I was bypassing them for a decent 1st bug of the season. I look under a crevice where I get pinned by the surge. Deep in the crack was a decent 4lb bug and I nail him. Yeah! Good start so far. I un-wedge from the crevice and start moving away so that I can put the bug in my game bag. Then I noticed that I'm having a hard time staying down. I feel for my weight belt and its GONE! *****! My game bag was attached to my belt and is also gone.

I dump all of the air out of my BC and start kicking hard to stay down. I try looking for the belt/bag and, of course, can't find it with the bad viz and surge. Thinking about aborting the dive, I decided to salvage what I could and just kick down toward the bottom with my bug in hand. As soon as I hit the bottom, I happen upon a group of bugs. I nail one bug and put it in the same hand as the other one. I then grab another bug with my free hand. I see another bug and really wanted to try holding 4 at a time, but I knew I would probably lose them all. Hilarious!

At this point, I surfaced with 3 bugs in hand and saw my buddy floating on the surface enjoying the scenery. He didn't like the conditions and had surfaced after a couple of minutes with nothing. I showed him my 3 bugs and borrowed his game bag. I dove back down and grabbed another one immediately, but started cramping with the hard kicking that I had to do. Called it a day at that point.

Overall, a nice productive day, but I guess the Freedive gods punished me for being a Scuba bitch today. .

Ming
mshsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Oceandiver130

Re: Malibu Biatch Report

Well if scuba makes you biatch then I guess I'm a biatch, there just something about diving at night in 3 foot vis and tons of surge I wasn't down with. I ended up with 4 bugs so I'm happy, way to stick it out and get some bugs for the opener.
Oceandiver130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Pugz

Rad story, 3 loose bugs in you hands lol
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Namor
Goletard

Nice report. That avatar of yours always makes me want a vacation

Jeremy
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
laguna80
El Capitan

That's awesome. Nice going.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
mshsu1

Hey Jeremy,

My avatar is from one of my trips to Eleuthera. If you ever want to go there, I can give you some tips. Its truly an amazing place for freedive spearing and lobstering.

Ming
mshsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
maguimaraes
Marcelo

Oh Ming, I sure hope you didn't get my lobster!

I saw a nice bug like that crusty and big one mid summer and we had a date set up.

Marcelo
maguimaraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
CPoly

Damn, did a lot better than me. I should have taken the SCUBA gear as well.
CPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Scuba Fever

You SCUBA LOW LIFES make me PUKE! Stay on the couch if you cant hold your Breath Long enough to catch Bugs! Geesh!

Nice Bugs by the Way!
Scuba Fever is offline   Reply With Quote