Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
A-Train

New IMPALER speargun !!!

4Whats up ladies and gentlemen. I got a new gun in a few days ago just wanted to share some HONEST opinions of it with you all.

To start i will say im not going to go into detail about the models and makers when i refer to "other guns" both that i own and or buddies own i have handled. i have seen too much drama and back and forth and i truly believe if one is happy with a gun and they kill fish then whos to say that its not "the best" gun to them. I believe there a many nice guns this is just my review ( initial ) of the most recent gun i have aquired and it happens to be an IMPALER.

I have done many many hours of searching and inquiring seeing whats out there and what fits for me. im a scuba guy in Alabama waters and never freedive. i spoke with a few makers and saw what each of them offered and referred it to what i need and between longer wait times and paying $1200 - $1500 plus and or going overseas ( i prefer to buy American to support American families) i chose to go with Jason Tiller and the Impaler. the impaler was hundreds..... literally hundreds of dollers less than some other guns i currently have and some that i inquired about yet when looking at them online and talking to Jason, seemed to be a higher quality so i made the order for a 55 in EC "reef gun" as he calls them.

initially contacting Jason took me a while but i was VERY persistant lol. Turns out once i got his number and contacted him he is working full time but still building custom order guns and was perfectly accepting of building me exactly what i wanted. the initial call went well we chatted for a bit about general spearfishing BS then got down to the order and boom..... easy as that. didnt try to sell me some BS just told me about the guns, asked me what i do, where im from and we decided what would fit me and that was that.

like i mentioned he did inform me hes not full time builder so the turn around time on the gun was about a month and a half. he sent me updates from time to time. letting me know where the build was and ensuring proper colors and logos. i did appreciate that.

Now on to the gun.... i received the gun yesterday. the gun came in a box not a tube and the handle was attached ( well get to that later ) it was packaged in a protected manner and theres no way it was getting scratched or dinged along the way.

my initial thought when picking up this gun the first time was WOW..... i mean WOW.. the fit and finish of this gun is AMAZING. i chose a red with black and white swirl camo. i have seen his epoxy jobs in pics online but when you get the gun up close the finish on the epoxy is top of the line. When we spoke about the gun in the beginning he mentioned the epoxy finish ( if thats what i chose) was 7 layers of epoxy. a few base coats, the swirls, and some clear coats adding up to 7. you can be skeptical if you want but when you see it in person im not doubting 7 at all. this thing is like the finest paint job you have ever seen on a car plus wax lol.

as for fit ( back to the handle being installed upon arrival ) all pins and solid AF. the only screws in this gun are holding the line anchor in place.... aside from that the handle, line release, trigger well, etc..... they are all pinned and isnt going anywhere unless you want it to. he does use the AR15 style handle so its interchangeable with any of the single screw AR handles out there. i got the sniper grip ( forget the manufacturer) and it feels great in the hand.

thats about it ..... all and all GREAT experience.... i WILL be buying another very soon and probably more after that... the bottom line is after the unboxing and initial evaluation i placed this gun.... along with 4 "other guns" on my kitchen table ( with with bi%&*ing all along the way ) and HANDS DOWN in my honest opinion the Impaler is an all around better built gun and seems to have more attention to detail than the rest..

p.s i was not paid, discounted, urged, or bribed to do this but i believe in feedback and honest reviews wether good or bad. and these are my thoughts so far.
if you are considering a new gun check out Impaler online and FB but the number there is no good . ill list the new number below he did let me know text was the best way to get in touch so hit him up for inquiries

Jason Tiller - Impaller Spearguns 786-589-0715

Last edited by A-Train; 09-01-2020 at 12:27 AM.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
A-Train

Re: New IMPALER speargun !!!

im going to post pics as soon as i learn how to not exceed file size lol
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
A-Train

test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204305_Gallery.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	245961  
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
A-Train

pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204543_Gallery.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	245962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204517_Gallery.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	245963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204459_Gallery.jpg
Views:	285
ID:	245964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204442_Gallery.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	245965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200831-204305_Gallery.jpg
Views:	262
ID:	245966  

Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
popgun pete

Seems that you have an answer http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199338.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
A-Train

i do sir lol..... it took me a while but i dint quit lol. i even considered and talked with other makers along the way but i finally got ole J on the line.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
pics
does the grip make any difference during shooting?compared to the classic AR grip .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
A-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
does the grip make any difference during shooting?compared to the classic AR grip .
ill let you know after i have some time in the water with it... i wpuldnt think unless it was one of those fancy deals it would have a profound effect on accuracy ... to a small extent maybe but more about comfort in hand on most of the AR grips...
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
Mikel_24

I am not a fan, at all, of mid handles. But my opinion is totally biased since I fish in the north of Spain with euro guns.

HOWEVER, that thing is a beauty, the finishing coats look georgeous and I am 200% sure it will fulfill your needs for your kind of fishing.

One thing I might have changed is the color scheme... I like my guns to be visible underwater, and at the very least I make the handles in bright colors. That red pattern is going to dissapear once you go down and ligt dims... I wouldn't want to lose it during a mishap!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
fredfoes

This speargun is beautiful
fredfoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I am not a fan, at all, of mid handles. But my opinion is totally biased since I fish in the north of Spain with euro guns.

HOWEVER, that thing is a beauty, the finishing coats look georgeous and I am 200% sure it will fulfill your needs for your kind of fishing.

One thing I might have changed is the color scheme... I like my guns to be visible underwater, and at the very least I make the handles in bright colors. That red pattern is going to dissapear once you go down and ligt dims... I wouldn't want to lose it during a mishap!

Mikel

I first got an 60" hybrid from Jason(rear-mid handle), It's a beauty. But like you, I had a hard time shooting the gun. I then got a reef all wood rear. 57". Custom green swirls. Paint job is next level. Quality is amazing. I'm happy to know he's back at it.

I just started building my own guns just for fun. I've been building teak oil finish so far but wanted to go the epoxy route on the next blue water gun. But to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about the process. I just wish Jason would do a YouTube video to show his technique/experience and give away all his secrets =) LOL
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #12
A-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

Mikel

thanks man i agree his guns are beautiful...... this model isnt a true mid handle... its what Jason refers to as a rear plus. its not as far up as a true mid but not a rear either.

good thing about Impaler is if you check the website you get what YOU want lol. its a custom gun you want a rear handle he does those too ... you want hunters orange camo or something more visible he also does that.

already started planning my next gun i was actually thinking a whote base with red/black swirl so kinda the opposite of what i have now..... one of my "other guns" has a custom white and grey paint job and it is very visible under water
Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
A-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveincanada View Post
I first got an 60" hybrid from Jason(rear-mid handle), It's a beauty. But like you, I had a hard time shooting the gun. I then got a reef all wood rear. 57". Custom green swirls. Paint job is next level. Quality is amazing. I'm happy to know he's back at it.

I just started building my own guns just for fun. I've been building teak oil finish so far but wanted to go the epoxy route on the next blue water gun. But to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about the process. I just wish Jason would do a YouTube video to show his technique/experience and give away all his secrets =) LOL

having jasons builds on youtube would be amazing. doubt thatll happen but it def would be cool to watch. but then again that might take away from some of the magic..... i mean you owned the gun and also mentioned the epoxy job. it truly is next level ... ide be willing to say theres very few folks out there that can get to that level of finish it would kinda help even the playing field lol....

i wish i had the time to attemlt some personal gun building just not the time in my life... too much work and 3 kids squeezing in spearing when possible is hard enough.

maybe start with some 1x1 scrap wood.... i do know he hangs them vertically and does the camo but at least your not scrapping a gun if you goof it up lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3848.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	245982  
Old 09-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #14
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

i wish i had the time to attemlt some personal gun building just not the time in my life... too much work and 3 kids squeezing in spearing when possible is hard enough.

maybe start with some 1x1 scrap wood.... i do know he hangs them vertically and does the camo but at least your not scrapping a gun if you goof it up lol
It's much cheaper to buy them from Jason than to build LOL..
But I love it.. Getter better on every build =)
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
Marco

Beautiful gun!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote