Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Unta blacka

looking to start spearfishing

hey all i live in the SF bay area and im looking to start spear fishing and I'm wondering if any of you out there have any ideas of how to start out. i live near san mateo CA. I have quite a bit of experince in water(mostly fresh water). 3 years of highschool and college swim team and alot of fresh water skin diving in a couple lakes.
s
i have some cheap fins and mask and an older polespear, i think fiberglass, and a 2,3 wetsuit. is this good enough to start out with?

any ideas where i could go in my area to get some better gear or good place/ways to start fishing?
Unta blacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
warfrog

Re: looking to start spearfishing

Before everyone gets in here and starts saying the same things they always do I'll try to give you a quick breakdown:

1. Use the search function to find threads. You can answer pretty much any question you may have that way.
2. Find a local spearfishing club and join. They'll be the best resource you could ever have and you'll probably make some new friends on the way.
3. You can start out with anything, really any kind of gear, and it really just comes down to what allows you to be comfortable in the water. Thicker the suit, the longer you can dive without getting cold.
4. Polespears are popular to start with because they are easier to handle and force you to get closer to the fish (better hunting practice, etc). Certainly not necessary though.
5. Basically just use the search function and join a club. You'll be good.
warfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Unta blacka

thank you for the advise
Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
riff
><>

Hey Unta - welcome.

Nor*cal diving isn't as glamorous as it seems - especially when comparing to San Diego or Southern California diving. Water is cold and usually choppy

I pretty much throw up every dive up here - give it a try! Just know the local rules - dont want to get a fatty fine your first kill.

best of luck
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Markio
Shoot to eat

S H A R K S........haha. Welcome.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #6
spearVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrog View Post
Before everyone gets in here and starts saying the same things they always do I'll try to give you a quick breakdown:

1. Use the search function to find threads. You can answer pretty much any question you may have that way.
2. Find a local spearfishing club and join. They'll be the best resource you could ever have and you'll probably make some new friends on the way.
3. You can start out with anything, really any kind of gear, and it really just comes down to what allows you to be comfortable in the water. Thicker the suit, the longer you can dive without getting cold.
4. Polespears are popular to start with because they are easier to handle and force you to get closer to the fish (better hunting practice, etc). Certainly not necessary though.
5. Basically just use the search function and join a club. You'll be good.
Haha just a quick copy and paste in all the new threads now.

Once I learned to use the search function I never really had the need to ask many questions. The best resource about the board
spearVibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Tommy T

Cold water, crappy viz, pissy suit, nausea, pissed off wife, obsessing about conditions, the one that got away, lost my F-ing light, what was that!?, forgot my weight belt, gotta buy just ONE more gun....
Welcome to the asylum bro! Best of luck....T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Unta blacka

Thanks for the advise guys. Both good and bad. Now two more questions.
1. How stupid would it be for me to just find some water jump in and start swimming?
2. Someone pm me offering to take me out to fish how stupid would it be for me to accept?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unta blacka View Post
Thanks for the advise guys. Both good and bad. Now two more questions.
1. How stupid would it be for me to just find some water jump in and start swimming?
2. Someone pm me offering to take me out to fish how stupid would it be for me to accept?
If someone offered you to take you out accept, that is assuming they are experienced.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
injunspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
Cold water, crappy viz, pissy suit, nausea, pissed off wife, obsessing about conditions, the one that got away, lost my F-ing light, what was that!?, forgot my weight belt, gotta buy just ONE more gun....
Welcome to the asylum bro! Best of luck....T
Tommy, can i make this my signature? hahaha

In all seriousness, its about being comfortable first. follow the instructions set forth by the first response. NETWORK with other divers, NEVER Dive alone, please...

Become a snorkel master before you start "spearing". especially in northern california, you'll need to be able to read the weather, not only the weather channel forecast, but some swell forecasts, and long range ocean forecasts, tides are important to know in nor cal.
Not only will becoming a weather pro help you with the viz, it is kind of fun to keep track of the weather, look up in the sky and see if the wind is blowing, which direction, if there are clouds off in the distance headed toward you.

You'll be able to judge in the water whether you should abort a dive due to increasingly poor conditions, before its too late.

Get the proper equipment the first time. don't buy crappy gear for cheaper, and end up spending more in the end.

If you're planning on joining this community, expect to be hated by animal lovers if you post a video on youtube, people hating on the beach, don't be a knucklehead and keep it legal. know the regulations in your area, cuz DFG will hammer you.

On a lighter note, it is a tight knit group of guys in norcal that are always willing to help out a new comrade. Take advantage of the resources given to you by new dive buddies and learn as much as you can.

Never become complacent, never say, this is good enough, thats when you become careless and increase the ever present risk of death.

Enjoy this new world.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
Unta blacka

Thanks for all the good advise. I don't think I would have ever tried to start out on my own anyways.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
jordantgeller

Hey Unta,

I live in S.F. and am also looking to get into spear fishing too. I bought a pole spear back in college and tried it a few times, but I am no pro either. I am also looking for another newbie like myself to learn with. I have seen people successfully spear fish in San Mateo County, but will talk spots off-line so as not to potentially upset someone. Of course there is also Santa Cruz and Monterey, but a little further away.

Anyway, hit me up, or anybody else for that matter, who is interested finding new spear fishing partners.

Even though I am new to spear fishing, I have gone free diving in Indo, Hawaii, California and Central America and I have been surfing consistently for the past decade, so I am very comfortable in the ocean.

Best regards,
Jordan
(707) 373-5945
jordantgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Superfrog
Keep 'em loaded

Start like I did.

Get a gun and kill shit.