Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #31
OBLIGATED

Re: Project boats

Bought my old 07 Carolina Skiff back from my BIL.

The bad:Boat was filthy.Took 3 tanks of gas on the pressure cleaner and two bottles of Zep mold and mildew to clean her and a half garbage can of bags,line,cups and goo.None of the electronics would work.Bimini boot was missing and the top filthy and torn.Trailer tires are shot.Electronics are original and old,Minn kota 80# troller is missing the remote so I cant test and batteries are original.Wiring looks like a rats nest under the console.All the original caulking around console and decks is peeling out or gone.Console cushions are shot from sun and neglect.

The good:Bought her back well under low NADA.Engine hours under 100 and runs like new.Boat cleaned up nice and I got electronics working.Ordered trailer tires online with galvanized rims for under 200 bucks.Bimini is usable.I own her.No payments to worry about.

The plan:
1 T -Top with box,rod holders,antenna mount,running light and cockpit lights.Thats one of the expensive parts.
2 new blue tooth radio and speakers and Fish finder/chart plotter,hand held radio for backup and a PLB just in case.More expensive parts!
3 Seat cushions are shot and wife wants a front deck cushion.So probably going to do console cushions and the leaning post cushions all at once to match.Cheapest and first project!
4Wife wanted deck cushion to sun bathe so Im considering Sea Dek.She likes the teak look.Its a compromise I can live with.Im afraid to look at pricing.
5Minn Kota is hard wired.I want to put a plug in the front and a plate with quick release.I used the troller here a lot and for Snook and Tarpon fishing but dont need it in the way for BBQ days,offshore fishing or diving.If I cant get the remote and the motor working B.O.A.T will be 2x

Weather is cooling and Striper fishing will get hot so Im hoping to run her every few days and upgrade as time and money allows.Between the house projects and a dog with a litter of pups due today I will be strapped here for over a month before I can get my saltwater fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacation_2_051.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	244058   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbqIsland030.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	244059  
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #32
OBLIGATED

Time has been limited for the boat but I managed to get a new Kenwood Marine radio installed,new radio cover and some cheap Boss Marine LED speakers.
Also ordered underwater lights from Diablo.They say 2800 lumens(probably not)but I got the two lights that go on one drain plug.Shines bright blue about 25 ft back.
Took the boat out with a sailing buddy for a few rum and pineapple juice drinks,lunch and cigars.Bilge pump hose cracked so I bought a new one.Temps never reached 60 and wind was 15-20 kts
If I get a calm evening Im going to take the wife for a cruise to see how the LEDs look at night and possibly fish.
Still babysitting puppies so not much progress on anything and very little sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	evilpitbull.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	244371  
Old 02-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #33
OBLIGATED

A few pics of the cushions before getting recovered.Leaning post was not terrible but I wanted everything to be new and matching patterns.The cushions are back but its 35 degrees out so possibly tomorrow I will have pics of cushions.
Console needs buffed and waxed and the hull needs a good waxing.Sun finally came out but I need around 50 degrees and sun to get motivated enough to work outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snowboat.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	244959   Click image for larger version

Name:	leaningpostold.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	244960   Click image for larger version

Name:	conslecushionsold.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	244961  
Old 02-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #34
OBLIGATED

Cushions are not installed because I have not buffed and waxed yet.Nothing fancy but they added some foam so its more comfortable.Total was 400 bucks.
The T Top with stuff I want on it will be just under 3k.Probably order it in March unless I can sell some other toys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cushionlpside.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	244970   Click image for larger version

Name:	cushionsconsole.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	244971   Click image for larger version

Name:	newcushinlp.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	244972  
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #35
OBLIGATED

Got some weather in the afternoon above 55 yesterday so I broke out the buffer and some compound.Got 3/4 of one side of the hull done before dark.Really should have done the console first and installed the cushions.Weather dont look too warm for a week now.So tired of winter.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #36
OBLIGATED

I guess the Minn Kota Riptide is toast after 12 years.Its been put through a lot of abuse so no complaints.Replacement is around B.O.A.T
Pretty much decided on the Fishmaster Pro-series T-Top then I saw a hard top called Addatop from RT Marine.Have not seen any reviews on the RT yet.Both tops with extras are close to 3K plus burgers and beer for help installing.Fishfinder will be a Simrad GO7 XSR.It has all kinds of features and it is touch screen.Radar can be added.If I was still in floriduh I would get the radar for chasing birds(dolphin fishing)Don't NEED it here.Selling another boat so when that goes I guess I will finish the Skiff.Threw my project money into stock market

My kid picked up another Mako(this is his third one)17 ft with a 90 Johnson and float on trailer stored INSIDE.He just did the non skid on the deck.Boat was spotless otherwise.Perfect little keys/backcountry boat.

Pic is Fishmaster Pro series T-top on Whaler.RT Marine is on the Mako
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pro-series-ttop-anodized_1.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	245320   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtmarinettop.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	245328  

Last edited by OBLIGATED; 04-13-2020 at 01:30 PM.
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #37
OBLIGATED

Traded the 21 skiff for a Triton bass boatHad about 9,500 in the skiff.Guy traded me and gave me cash so Im in the Triton that books for 11k at 3,500.

The good:Im well in the black on the boat.Its cheap to run and its light to pull.Boat was stored indoors with a cover with freshwater use only.Nothing to do to it but wash and wax.

The bad:Had one ding on the back of the boat and my son will probably have it sold before I get tired of fishing on it.Finally bought one with nothing to do but use it!
Not a ideal boat for spearfishing but I have speared from 14ft aluminum boats with no issues filling a cooler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bbqIsland030.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	245808   Click image for larger version

Name:	triton.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	245809