Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: Safety use. How do you use your safety?
Always on, until I see a target fish 24 15.19%
On until I suspect I will see a target fish 21 13.29%
It depends on my instincts 11 6.96%
Always or usually off 102 64.56%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #16
Steel Shootin'

Quote:
Originally posted by seaweed27

NEVER HAND A LOADED GUN TO THE BOAT!!! NEVER
Unless there is a hammerhead all over your azz, then it's ok. But, as John will hopefully remember, as I was handing it up, it was pointed away from everyone, and I annouced: "The Gun is Loaded!"

As for the safety, I normally don't use it because bands are pulled back only when I am by myself and activly hunting. Bands get unloaded for the ascent, unless I see a shark, or am leaving sharks. If the plan was to leap frog with another diver, I'd probably use the safety. However, the most important rule is what you learn in any gun safety class: Know where your muzzle is pointed at all times. There is simply no more important rule with any type of gun.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #17
Nsearch

Hector has some very good points in his first post.

I'm in the category of bands on going down, safety off. Bands off coming up unless I've seen the Tax Man.

Always know where your muzzle is pointed.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #18
Spearchucker

Yeah, I was going to mention the "Hammerhead clause" regarding handing up a loaded gun!
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #19
Kasshia

Besides unloading the bands before we leave the water, so the gun simply can not fire, is something I haven't seen anybody else mention. We also slip a short piece of rubber tubing over the points before transport. This helps mitigate the chance of somebody, another piece of gear, the upholestry or the headliner in the Land Cruiser getting accidently stabbed.
Kasshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #20
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by bgbill
Also when I hit a Hebrew Mullet with the butt of my gun (repeatedly) I will put it on safety first.
Thats what the pointed end is for.........
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #21
slipknot

My Ultimate has a safety at the top,and in the middle, of the handle, it sticks out about a 1/4".When ready to fire,just depress it with middle finger,and watch the carnage.It has never been a problem.But I think if I had a regular type of safety like most guns,I would take it out.
Allways treat your gun like a firearm,mine usually is a firearm,and be constantly aware of your surroundings.Accidents can happen in a split second.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #22
bgbill

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Screen Name
Thats what the pointed end is for.........
That is the part I poke em' in the eye with
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #23
J Ko

Send a message via AIM to J Ko
Shooting a speargun is no different than shooting any other firearm when it comes to safety. A gun is a gun period. I have been hunting since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I was raised up shooting firearms and the appropiate safety measures you should take to minimize the risk of accidnets.
I personally keep my safety on at all times until I am ready to fire. Yes this takes a second to do, but if you are coordinated with your gun it is a seemless action before you shoot. As stated before safeties are mechanical and they can fail like all other devices, but it dramatically reduces the risk of your gun accidentally firing.
I also am very careful on where that spear tip is pointed even whrn the gun is unloaded. No one likes a gun pointed at them, loaded or not.
If you treat the gun with respect and dont get careless with it, your risks of accidents will be reduced.

Ok I am getting off my soapbox now....
J Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:12 PM   #24
mushkee
Aguaji Killa...

i had my safety be removed today by brian...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 PM   #25
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

A number of you guys have actually REMOVED your safety. I assume that you could have just left it off. Have you had a problem with it engaging when it was off or are you just worried that you might leave it on?
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #26
mushkee
Aguaji Killa...

yea...sometimes i left my safety on and it delayed my shots...plus sometimes when loading the rob allen if you put the shaft in and then started putting the rubbers on the shaft, it might shoot out if not in safety...happened to me 4 times...it doesnt shoot the shaft but, you gotta repeat the whole reloading procedure....
Old 08-13-2003, 09:31 PM   #27
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

You have to remove it if you mount more than one shaft holder .
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #28
junior

My safety don't challenge my masculinity

I generally dive with others so feel that it is important to engage the safety on my gun and I prefer that those around me have theirs engaged as well. While alone I usually don't worry about it too much and don't beilieve I have ever missed a fish because of my safety.

IMHO, I think you have much more control of your weapon when sitting in a tree stand than you do when you are in the water.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #29
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Junior
I generally dive with others so feel that it is important to engage the safety on my gun and I prefer that those around me have theirs engaged as well. While alone I usually don't worry about it too much and don't beilieve I have ever missed a fish because of my safety.
Does that mean that you wont go divin with me Junior?
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:36 PM   #30
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Quote:
Originally posted by junior
I think you have much more control of your weapon when sitting in a tree stand than you do when you are in the water.
You also have a lot more time to pick your shot. One of the many reasons that I prefer to dive alone. The safety dilemma is greater when I dive with others.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote